News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Let's ponder promoting events

Started by Devnull, October 01, 2010, 05:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SamD

OL,
I lost the number for the DFW lady running the Hunter Ed program, can you get that to Chris so we can get that shoot promoted to the hunter ed students.
Sam

Col Barrett

Sorry, I haven't read through the whole thread, but here is my take.

Gun shows are an easy audience to target and we have found that some of them offer us a table for free because we are not selling any goods. We had all our typical appleseed handouts on a table and a coupe of presentation posterboard pieces to catch the attention of the attendees.

Police Departments- I walked into the precinct across the street from my office and was put in touch with the community crime prevention officer. He loved what our program was doing and allowed me to put together an email that went out to the entire dept. He also offers civilian pistol training classes, and said he would be glad to keep a flyer on hand to offer attendees of that class. By my count, I just reached probably close to 150-200 officers, not to mention wives and kids shoot free as well, all that paid off from contacting ONE person. I plan to get in touch with other municipalities as well.

I have heard this ad on the radio that they will gladly advertise your organization if it is a charity or non-profit on a top am radio station here in Atlanta. Here is the link: http://www.640wgst.com/pages/wgstcares.html?feed=346037&article=5439669 Look for something like that on your local radio stations, or if we are talking statewide, check other cities around the state for their radio stations. I plan to start talking with this source here in Atlanta today.

Not to mention Cub Scouts, 4H clubs, high school or college shooting teams. Also hanging out at gun stores or shooting ranges and where a shirt or just let them know about AS that has really taught you a lot for your shooting knowledge. My .02

oladcock

Quote from: SamD on October 08, 2010, 10:45:05 AM
OL,
I lost the number for the DFW lady running the Hunter Ed program, can you get that to Chris so we can get that shoot promoted to the hunter ed students.
Sam

Done did. :)...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

marrandy

All good stuff.

Don't forget your local:-

1)   Army/Air Force/Navy/Marines bases.

2)   State National Guard.

3)   Coast Guard

4)   Fire Stations

5)   Ambulance service.

Personnel there are well respected all have family, friends and acquantances that listen to them.  They are good 7th steppers if you can get them involved.  Military and LEO's are free which is an extra bonus for them.

Check their web sites for community liason and  'on base' newspaper. You may be able to get an article in about Appleseed.  Persevere.  It may take a few attempts before you talk to a receptive person.

PHenry

oladcock,
How'd the BSA meeting go sir?
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Devnull

Quote from: oladcock on October 08, 2010, 12:47:00 PM
Quote from: SamD on October 08, 2010, 10:45:05 AM
OL,
Sam

Done did. :)...O.L.

Um, I haven't seen it. Did you PM or email it?

Chris/Devnull
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

oladcock

Chris, PM'ed her email last week. I'll resend...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Devnull

Quote from: oladcock on October 08, 2010, 06:40:35 PM
Chris, PM'ed her email last week. I'll resend...O.L.

Got it and email sent.

Thanks!

Chris/Devnull

BobABQ

Quote from: NMMI9100 on October 08, 2010, 12:16:20 AM
Promoted the Del Norte shoot at the Annual Meeting of the NM Bighorn Gun Club.  Lots of club member interest.  Board gave me the floor for a few minutes to describe the program.  I think we'll have a fairly easy time of getting on the calendar next year.

After the meeting, I talked to about 25 folks individually that were very interested in the program.  Half dozen or so sounded as if they'd make it and bring their kids.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Good job David! This is what I would expect of a potential State of New Mexico Appleseed Promotions Coordinator/Manager!

Again, great job Seventh Stepping!
O0

Devnull

Quote from: BobABQ on October 08, 2010, 08:21:51 PM
Quote from: NMMI9100 on October 08, 2010, 12:16:20 AM
Promoted the Del Norte shoot at the Annual Meeting of the NM Bighorn Gun Club.  Lots of club member interest.  Board gave me the floor for a few minutes to describe the program.  I think we'll have a fairly easy time of getting on the calendar next year.

After the meeting, I talked to about 25 folks individually that were very interested in the program.  Half dozen or so sounded as if they'd make it and bring their kids.

-David
Edgewood, NM

Good job David! This is what I would expect of a potential State of New Mexico Appleseed Promotions Coordinator/Manager!

Again, great job Seventh Stepping!
O0
BobABQ, the position is available if your looking for somewhere to help out. You certainly have the knack for talking to others about appleseed!  O0

Let me know if your interested.

BobABQ

As you are aware I have left the Appleseed Program and as such it would be inappropriate for me to act in any official capacity.
>:D

I think it is obvious that NMMI9100 has an innate talent and quality that encourages others to listen to the Appleseed message.

BobABQ

I was at the City of Albuquerque Shooting range yesterday trying my hand at NRA Service Rifle shooting match, I did poorly but that isn't the point, I looked and did not see any Appleseed flyer for the upcoming event in November. They have a table set aside just for promotion of shooting events.

I bet you could even place some flyers there for the upcoming Del Norte event without any problems from the city personnel.

I bet it would be easy for someone who lives on the westside of town to drop some flyers off.

Here is an easy promotion opportunity.

PHenry

Have tried to git my local NRA HP shooters interested, but to zero avail. Seems they are not concerned with their rights, as they all have a "sporting purpose" for their rifles and do not see them as the Founders saw their muskets.

I sincerely hope it is different where u are and the only way to find out is to try - just don't be crushed if you run into same wall I did and get looked at like you are a "radical" for even mentioning it. "course, it doesn't help that I refuse to wear "cheater" jacket or a $3K rifle either.  :cool2:
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Devnull

Quote from: PHenry on October 11, 2010, 01:20:06 PM
Have tried to git my local NRA HP shooters interested, but to zero avail. Seems they are not concerned with their rights, as they all have a "sporting purpose" for their rifles and do not see them as the Founders saw their muskets.

I sincerely hope it is different where u are and the only way to find out is to try - just don't be crushed if you run into same wall I did and get looked at like you are a "radical" for even mentioning it. "course, it doesn't help that I refuse to wear "cheater" jacket or a $3K rifle either.  :cool2:

Wait, isn't an M65 jacket cheating? If your not exposed to the raw elements in 10f temps with blowing snow and nothing but your Appleseed T-shirt on your cheating!  ;D

He's talking about putting fliers up at the city range where were having a shoot next month. Precisely Advantageous, did they just run out or did you not have any fliers to give them? Let me know as I have a crap load of dillons and SWATs. (I need to get some of these tri-folds I've heard so much about...)

BobABQ

Disregard.