News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Minimum age

Started by splaticus, November 02, 2010, 12:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

splaticus

I have never been to an Appleseed weekend but would love to take my family.  My question is does anyone know what the minimum recommended age is?  I have a 5 and a 7 year old who shoot regularily with me.  Are they trained with the adults or is there a separate area for them?  Any information is greatly appreciated.

The answer to 1984 is 1776.

vmt193

splaticus

Everyone shoots on the same line. The biggest question is, "Can they shoot by themselves?" Are they able to load, unload, lock the bolt open, clear jams, and basically handle the rifle in a safe manner, and take instruction, all without any help from you? If not, it'll be a rough weekend for all of you. Even if they are too small to hold the rifle while standing, or support it properly in a prone position, they would be allowed to shoot off a rest for the entire time. But if they need help with operating the action efficiently, you'd be better off to let them wait a year or two.

Sometimes, if there is an extra large group of instructors on hand, one might be assigned to watch over new/younger shooters. But if not, and they need help to simply load and unload, in order to maintain a safe line an instructor will still have to help. That takes up valuable time trying to teach basic rifle operation and cheats all the other shooters. I have seen 8 year olds that can handle a rifle better than some adults, and 14 year olds that needed a full time babysitter.

If you are in doubt, I'd suggest attending an Appleseed once for yourself (w/spouse), and do a second one where you can devote the weekend to helping the young'uns.

vmt

GoldFish

When people ask me this question, I ask them, "Are these children able to safely handle a rifle?"  This is key, whether they can shoot well is just icing on the cake.  As vmt193 stated, they are on the same line with the adults, but if the number of instructors allows, sometimes an IIT will be 'assigned' to one-on-one instructing with some of the younger shooters to help them get caught up with the instruction, help them with working the rifle, safety, etc. 
I have heard said and have said it myself, make sure that they are able to handle a rifle safely by themselves; if they can bring them. :)   

I'm sure other Instructors have had experience with younger shooters, so if there are any tips that should be posted, please, do so. :)

---GF
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

B9

Check state laws also. NY has a minimum age of 12 years old.
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Wheeler44

Splaticus...What area are you in and which shoot do you wish to attend....

Using my special powers I suspect the Pacific Northwest and Yakima..If I am correct expect a personalized e-mail answer soon...

W44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

PHenry

Applseeds has no minimum age requirement - just a minimum behavior requirement. I have seen 7 yo who are safe with a rifle and 17 yo who are not. Shoot - I've seen growed people that cannot follow explicit directions for that matter! What part of do not load until given the load command was not clear to you sir? What part of do not dance around with a loaded rifle because of hot brass seemed to confuse you ma'am?  !@#)
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

splaticus

Thank you for your replies they have been very helpful.  Yes I am planning on attending the one in Yakima so if you have any advice please feel free to PM me! 

ewormako

Anyone can go. But they must be well disciplined.

splaticus

Just got back from my 2nd appleseed with my kids.  My son just turned 5 and my daughter just turned 7.  Both did really well, however my advice to others thinking about it is to ask if there are enough instructors to give them special care.  We have been fortunate that way and both have been great experiences for both mom and dad as well as the children as a result.  The other issue is attention span.  We have found that that with our kids (yours will be different of course)  after 3 or 4 hours that as much fun as they were having, their attention spans had reached their maximum.  So we brought other activities for them to do at that point so that mom and dad could continue on with the day.  Thanks for all the advice and hopefully that'll help others of thinking of doing the same.

Devnull

Be sure to check with the shoot boss for the shoot. (The contact info on the flier should get you in the right direction.) Some ranges put separate age requirements for their facilities and the shoot boss should be aware of any additional restrictions.

We've had a 5 year old at several shoots out here and he did a good job following the safety rules. You gotta start riflemen off early after all!  O0
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

Halsyon005

I'd say on average, 10 yrs old but depends on your kid on whether they can be safe on the line and follow instructions.
"Choose the hard right, over the easy wrong."  US Army NCOA

"You cannot invade the mainland United States.
There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

The most fundamental right - is the right to exist; it is the right not to be exterminated - - Sarah Connor

magnificant Tales of Survival at www.jerrydyoung.com

"I'm not complaining, you have to expect the first Apocalypse to be a little rough on people, once we get a few of these under our belts, I'm sure things will smooth out nicely."  MikeyEllis

What ever happened to "Live Free or Die"?  Have we forgotten, or do we just not care anymore?

Western Rose

Quote from: Yusuf Mohammed on May 03, 2011, 03:48:28 PM
is there an event like this inside Africa ?

Not that I know of.
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

jfruser

Howdy:

I am starting my kids' marksmanship training and am interested in the Appleseed catalog of range commands.  After I get them up to speed with me and they prove to my satisfaction they are responsible/responsive enough, I plan on running them through an Appleseed.

FTR, I went to one a few years back with a buddy.  Good experience.
Regards,

jfruser

"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
----George Orwell

DFW High Road Shooter's Group

GoldFish

jfruser,

Here are the commands we use and a brief explanation of what they mean.
If you have any questions about them, feel free to drop me a message.
"Freedom is preserved by those who die for it, but it will not survive unless people are willing to live for it."
-Boba Fett (The RWVA Instructor, not the Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

'Yes, I am a Rifleman, but I'm also a Ninja....and a Jedi.'

"Integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do."

"Remember, my opinion on the totem pole of life is somewhere below whale s***..." -Chris Costa

"The more you care about something, the deeper the fight will come from within."  -Travis Haley

42          ΙΧΘΥΣ           كافر           MOÉ...ΩN É...ABE         αδάμαÏ, 

Merc, Mr. Fishy, Goober, Achmed, Cornflake, FBC, Tabilasco, Mowhawk 1 Alpha

What we do in life echoes in Eternity

jfruser

Quote from: GoldFish on May 10, 2011, 07:18:08 PM
jfruser,

Here are the commands we use and a brief explanation of what they mean.
If you have any questions about them, feel free to drop me a message.

Thank you.
Regards,

jfruser

"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."
----George Orwell

DFW High Road Shooter's Group

Sly223

My son is 4 yo he has shot an old single shot. But is not ready I know this I am his father, and he tells me.
My neighbor has a four year old boy that could be ready soon.
My daughter,was ready at this age, I wasn't :))
Some adults , never mind , The kids are great they don't have any bad habits except the ones the learned at home. O0
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

LawDog

I took my 8 y.o. son to a Shoot this month.  The advice on here proved very helpful.  My son is very interested in shooting, and knows (and follows) the safety rules.  Nevertheless, there were times he just needed a break from the action.  He shot about 80% of the drills and AQTs.  For the others, he watched or read a book (about Paul Revere) in the shade.  After reading the posts here, I was ready for all of that.   

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is that the parents have to keep in mind that having a youngster along will likely affect the parent's participation as well.  Your prep periods will be spent getting two shooters ready, you will always keep one eye on where your child is, and you may not shoot as well as you would otherwise.  It's like taking a kid fishing.  But the important parts are that you are spending time with your child and learnign alongside him. 

Last point- of all the things we did at Appleseed, my son's favorite parts were the talks.  They really got his attention.  It reminded me that no child is too young to begin hearing about our history. 

Sly223

If you want to attend one yourself get a better feel for it and focus on yourself.
Otherwise I have watched it be successful, either way we are trained to handle it. With both of them you may have to sit out a few C.O.F. or two until we get these youth past whatever obstacle, they are experiencing.
P.S. Almost all instructors who are old enough are parents as well, I would treat your kids no different! &) ~~:)
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

lopez

I don't much but I want to attend this,to know what exactly is and what happens there. So can I attend this?

Sly223

Lopez,
I recommend you contact the State coordinator, in the CT,or whatever state, to find out the dates and locations.Keep scrolling through the threads,and this info is also available for events in your area, or even an area you plan to visit.
Good Luck Welcome to AS.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

lopez

Ok. Thanks for your suggestion.

Charles McKinley

My daughters were 8 and 9 at their first Appleseed.  The biggest thing for them was manipulating the bolt hold open and release on the 10/22.  Now to shrink those groups!
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

slomo

I am 13 years old, while my sisters are 8 and 10. The main issue with my 8 year old sister is that she got either bored or tired. Also some appleseeds are more mellow than others. I know my sister had a bit more fun at some events than others.

ID_Hezekiah

Although Appleseed has no age restriction - it's important to check out range restrictions - my "home" club here in Idaho has a mininum age of 12 for accompanied minors written into our range liability insurance.
The British learned to dread the frequent appearances of this dire rider at unexpected points along the route of their passage, for his aim was true, and the economical principles in which he was trained forbade his wasting powder and ball.