News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Waco Appleseed Lodging

Started by franklinfarmer, July 25, 2010, 08:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

franklinfarmer

As far as I understand the instructors are planning to camp on site at the Waco range on Friday August 13th and Saturday August 14.  Of course, shooters are welcomed to do so as well, though it would be good if I could get a PM from those camping, so I know roughly how many to expect.

I stopped by John Tanner State Park today, however, and I'm not sure how to publicize this, but they have some nice facilities there.  (It's about 20 minutes south of the range toward Carrollton.)

First there is camping.
They also have a lake for swimming.
They have motel rooms for about 100wfrn per night, and most interestingly,
they have a group lodge that will sleep 40 for about 300wfrn (!).
Also, there's a miniature golf course, bike trails, and a playground.

Just for general info:  This park is being given by the state to Carroll Co. because the state of Georgia has no money to run it.  The new county director has decided to honor state park passes for one year.

P.S. If it matters, there are also all the usual motels (Day's Inn, Microtel, Holiday Express, Quality Inn and Suites, etc.) at exit 11 off I-20 about 10 minutes from the range.
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

StoneDog

Has anyone ended up camping on-site at the Waco range?  I've signed up to help at the Nov 13/14 shoot over there and will be camping at the range if possible.

PS - what is "wfrn" and "frn"?
"...it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds..."

--Samuel Adams

Aromatic

FRN = Federal Reserve Note(s).  Not sure what the "w" stands for... maybe worthless.

franklinfarmer

worthless.  bingo!  This prefix really helps when buying expensive rifles.

StoneDog: Yep, CSWhitfield, ColBarrett various kids and shooters, and I have camped there a couple times.  There are outhouses and a shelter with picnic tables and a big stony/grassy field.  No water on site.  There has often been BBQ available on Friday night, and that just might continue, especially if more folks show up.  Also, campfires are a go with the range association.  So it aint the Hilton, but it'll do.
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

cswhitfield

The camping is primitive but fun.  The BBQ is excellent.  If the chance of more BBQ is a bribe I guess I'll have to sign up to help also.  Speaking of wfrn and expensive rifles I'm wondering if FF has broken his in yet?

Craig
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

Appalacious

great campsite.  flat and spacious.  outhouse.   shelter.  picnic tables.  Waco is an excellent location for appleseed.

J
Condescension is a GOOD thing.

franklinfarmer

Not quite broken in, but I did put 30 or so rounds through it yesterday.  Maybe we can get a little closer to breaking it in on Friday afternoon before the Waco shoot.  I'll save the performance report (and the 'Ol Hooke report) for then.