News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Azusa, California, 23-24 October 2010

Started by Rocket Man, October 25, 2010, 01:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Man

It feels good to be an American, doesn't it?

This weekend Appleseed was hosted by the Burro Canyon Shooting Park high in the San Gabriel Mountains north of Azusa.  It'd been raining for almost two weeks in the LA area -- felt like forever, y'know? -- but the clouds parted long enough for a wonderful weekend at the range.  Some days, you just get lucky.   @)

Saturday morning saw 19 eager and attentive students join V and myself, including a couple of Appleseed veterans in the hunt for that Rifleman patch.  We also had a family show up and bring friends -- Seventh Stepping already.  Got to love it.   ..:..  Sunday we had 18 on the line, with most folks coming back plus a couple of old friends and a pair of folks brand new to Appleseed.  Welcome!

I can't say enough good things about our shooters.  All were extremely safe, attentive, and enthusiastic about instruction and our heritage alike.  Soon we were tearing through targets and it was clear we had some real talent in our midst.  We didn't have much trouble with balky rifles, but we did have a few issues of rifles and people not getting along very well -- stock fitment, sights, slings, you know the kind.  By Sunday, however, we'd worked through most of the issues and everyone was putting down some good groups on paper.  (Just remember, though, it ain't cheating to use a scope.  There's two kinds of shooters -- those who need optics, and those who don't need optics yet!)    :D

We shared stories over lunch, in cold breezes and under puffy clouds, and got back to the line inspired.  V makes a great point about how our public libraries used to be filled with books about our heritage, written about and sometimes even by the early Patriots and their families, but now they're being forgotten, surplused, discarded.  Not interesting enough, I guess.  If only people knew.  Fact is sometimes better than fiction.   O0

Sunday we banged away at AQT's, taking a mid-afternoon break to hunt the most dangerous game in California -- the Lesser North American Sandwich Cookie, that is -- restoring our faith in NPOA and focusing our minds on our targets.  And, when all was said and done, we found two new Riflemen hiding in our midst. 

The mysterious "C" was a first-timer, but he'd started out strong with 4 MOA groups on Saturday morning, and by the end of Sunday proved he knew what he was about.  215 on the AQT, I think, in failing light.  Our other was Matt, returning for his second third Appleseed, to see if months of hard work and persistence would pay off.  Boy, did it -- he earned his patch with authority, scoring at least three Rifleman scores including a 231, using a southpaw, Californized but undeniably effective AR-15.  He had his form so squared away that V thought he already had his Rifleman patch...   ;D  Sorry about that -- we screwed up, but we got it straightened out.

It was one of those shoots you just didn't want to end, but we did, having to say goodbye for now.  But we'll be back.  Check back here to see when the next one's coming, probably pretty soon.

Both V and I had our hands too full for pictures, but I know our attendees took a few.  Please post 'em if you've got 'em.

That's all I can think of for now.  My brain is tired, but my heart is full.  Thanks again for sharing your weekend with us.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Vanguard

Thanks Rocketman and V, you guys ran an outstanding program over the weekend!  My buddy and I had a blast and learned a few things.  I'm looking forward to attending another Appleseed Shoot with my wife...maybe one of the Corona ones.  I'll definately try to knock some my coworkers out of their comfort zone and bring them out for a shoot too.  ALL Americans should attend an Appleseed shoot in my opinon. 

I found it a bit humorous that V, who is from Great Britain and speaks with an accent, knows more about American history than 99% of Americans.  It was inspring to hear him talk about the battles at Lexington and Concord and the principles that made us what we are today.  It was very apparent that you and V put your hearts into this program.   Your expertise and professionalism goes a long way in providing credibility to the Appleseed Project. 

Unfortunately it sounds like one of the scope guys may have gotten a bruised ego from the friendly ribbing he got from the group and complained to you in private.  I hope he's alright. 

Thanks guys.

Jim

Vanguard

Also, here's some old schoolhouse rock vids that people should show their kids (and pay close attention to themselves)  Unfortunately, they're not aired any longer.  People are too wrapped up in reality T.V. and American Idol now to notice or care.  These videos are beautiful in their simplicity and truth and a good learning tool for kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0LmYEjXNIg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhdmDDBjco0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQdDjBAJt7c&feature=related

V

Quote from: Vanguard on October 25, 2010, 02:24:30 AM
Unfortunately it sounds like one of the scope guys may have gotten a bruised ego from the friendly ribbing he got from the group and complained to you in private.  I hope he's alright. 

Hey Jim,

thanks for the links and post. I don't think the "scope guys" had a problem, if you saw us deep in conversation afterwards its because we were jawing like you do after a great event.

Cheers
V

Rocket Man

Yup, no bruised egos at all.  Simple fact is a lot of us can't see the target without a scope.  I'm on the ragged edge of it myself...  corrective optics are probably in my near-term future.   8)

However, there's a persistent rumor out there that Appleseed only teaches iron sights.  We're perfectly happy with scopes.  Just be aware that they aren't a silver bullet -- you need to pick one that works for you, need to mount it so that you can see through it without disrupting your steady hold factors (especially turkey neck / cheek weld), and need to practice with it in the different positions.  Getting a scope to work for you is just another of the many skills a Rifleman needs in the toolbox.

A simple, solid scope can be a beautiful thing.  A fixed 4x with wide eye relief, not too big, mounted as close to the bore as possible will work just great.  There is also the "middle ground" of a red dot sight which doesn't magnify the target, but it puts the target in better focus.  If your eyes are on the edge like me, this can be a good solution too. 
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Vanguard

Agreed.  I use optics, both red dot and magnified scopes too.  Except on the Garand....that's sacrilege!   ;)  I know The Appleseed Project doesn't discriminate when it comes to optics or irons.  All shooters should know both when it comes down to it but, IMHO, every shooter should make it a point to gain proficiency with iron sites just for the fact that most rifles have them.  Scopes and red dots are a great tool but they might not always be available or practical, especially when using an unfamiliar rifle or in a pinch.  I know everyone there this past weekend knows how to shoot with irons.  As I said, the ribbing was in jest.  I hope no one took it seriously.

Again guys, outstanding job this weekend.  Thanks a million! 

Johnnyappleseed

Waiting for the pics  ;D
Nice event guys  8) The cause of liberty is alive and well because of your efforts  O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Rocket Man

Quote from: Vanguard on October 25, 2010, 02:00:29 PM
Agreed.  I use optics, both red dot and magnified scopes too.  Except on the Garand....that's sacrilege!   ;)

Yup, the Garand has some of the best irons you'll ever find anyway.  My eyes have no trouble with them.

So looks like we'll be back at Burro Canyon on December 18-19.  Tell your friends.  We can fit 50 on that line!

smogcity

A big thank you to Rocket Man and V for the smooth, safe, fun, and entertaining weekend. Thanks also to Melody for taking and emailing me the photo below.

Life is full of goals you set for yourself, and sometimes it sure is sweet to acomplish one an get to cross it off your to-do list

Here's Rocket Man helping me cross off a goal that had been sitting on my to-do list for too long

See you soon!!

CSHR

Congratulations on a great shoot  ^:)^

Now to the problem, if you two (V & Rocketman) teach that many without any IIT assistance you're gonna have all the rest of us in trouble with the back east crowd and they'll be dockin our pay  **)  ^:)^

Figured it wouldn't be hard with the two of you  ~~:)  :bow:  :bow:  :bow:

Smogcity, GREAT job, persistence pays off  O0  :--- You planning on help us out soon  :cool2:  ::)  ;)  :D

Congratulations to "C" also. AIO  ..:..

To all of you who came to the event, aren't you glad you didn't waste your time doing something else? Heck of a heritage we have isn't it?

CSHR
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

Vanguard

Quote from: smogcity on October 26, 2010, 12:35:19 PM
A big thank you to Rocket Man and V for the smooth, safe, fun, and entertaining weekend. Thanks also to Melody for taking and emailing me the photo below.

Life is full of goals you set for yourself, and sometimes it sure is sweet to acomplish one an get to cross it off your to-do list

Here's Rocket Man helping me cross off a goal that had been sitting on my to-do list for too long

See you soon!!

Awesome Job, Smogcity!  Congratulations man!

V

I know several of the folks that attended Azuza were talking about the Oak Tree Gun Club shoot next weekend in Newhall, CA.

This is our first shoot at this location which is a prestige shooting facility in this area. If you could attend this event and bring a lot of friends and family it would help us make a good impression to the range.

So please consider signing up for the Nov 6/7 2010 Newhall, CA shoot at Oak Tree.

Cheers
Phil

Johnnyappleseed

I 2nd what V said --- The Newhall AS will be great !
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge