News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Rainbow California 23 - 24 Oct 2010

Started by Justin, October 25, 2010, 02:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

"Le médiocrité est l'ennemi de la parfaite." -

"We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them" - Abigail Adams

California Appleseed
http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Appleseed/203137793037851

Camljr

Our first shoot at this range, and we were well received by all.

First I would like to thank the Duncans for allowing us to use their facilities this weekend! it was a nice setup...

The weather was very nice compared to the summer weather we had been having her in California. Cool breezes, slightly cloudy at times, and about 65-70 degrees. 8)

Saturday morning had 21 pre-regged, with 15 showing up. 6 Freebees did not show. Many members of the rainbow shooting club attended. I can say that this shoot had the most first time shooters than any I can remember... and of course the equipment issues we had to deal with to get them going was typical. BUT, that is the most rewarding kind of shoot... to take those shooters that maybe hit 2-3 on paper on the first redcoat, to getting good groups by sunday.  ^:)^

Even those that knew their stuff, said they learned a few things. O0

Thanks to all my IIT's that helped out, (mark, Justin, Steve) you all worked like pros and made the shoot a little easier for me, and allowed me to promote the program to constant onlookers, to see what this Appleseed thing was all about.

Sunday, we saw a few not return, as I am sure they found some muscles they didn't know they had before. Started out Sunday AM with 10 shooters. Historys were heartfelt, presented well by the IIT's and well received. "Mikey" Taylor got the Luther Blanchard patch Sunday, and even got to fire my Brown Bess, as did Amanda(who actually hit the target with it).

We did not make any riflemen, but great improvement by everyone, and had a couple knocking on the door..

Suzie, scored a 199
Glen, 194
David, 178
Ladd, 166
Debby, 149
Taylor, 144
Linda,141

I will post pictures later, and will leave itt open for others to post now...

Great group of attendees, and instructors. Weekends like this make it all worth the effort of volunteering...

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Johnnyappleseed

Rainbow? what a delightful name for a shooting range  ;D
Looks like some future RM getting really close .
Nice job guy's ^5
Semper Fidelis Justin
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

rigmarol

This was my very first Appleseed shoot and I must say it surpassed what I was expecting!

My name is David, I was the old fart at the far north end of the firing line.

I was worried I was going to be recruited into some nut-ball Militia group and have to endure lectures about black helicopters, Big Brother and the evils of fluoride in our drinking water . LOL

Instead I received personal one on one quality instruction on my technique (or lack thereof) and saw my accuracy dramatically improve.

And in between shooting instruction, I was introduced for the very first time to the DETAILS of my Country's History, Culture and HEART.

I have never got to the shooting range or any shooting class and find myself weeping and to choked up to talk! (except that one time with the Garand...)

I was taught American History and knew the players and the dates. But never (Outside of a Mel Gibson movie) was I immersed into the DETAILS of the birth of our nation.

Don't let this get out, but I would have paid the $70 just for the history I got exposed to! (Shhhhh).

I left the camera at home but managed to take a couple phone pics but who hasn't seen a firing line before?  What I really wished I'd brought was a tape recorder! Ain't that odd?

I managed to make it through both days and had to only sit out the last 2 AQTs and the final Red Coats. I pulled my bicep muscle  and couldn't hold steady any more.
I really wanted to make rifleman my first time out but it wasn't to be. 178 was max for me and on my very last shoot too.

I'm already bugging my friends and family and coworkers to come to one soon. I'll do it again, even if it's just me.

Thank you for helping me to remember my responsibility to my Fore Fathers and to my Country's future.

The only thing I found missing was maybe the Pledge of Allegiance each morning.

Portia

Rainbow is apt - as perhaps now Appleseed is the pot of treasure at the end.  There really is so much more to these events than just the shooting.
And I believe this will be a recurring 'project' at this range.

It was my second.  Hoped to qualify but won't mind attending another to make that happen.  Met (more) great people and got pumped up to
keep stomping for the 'right' people in the upcoming election.  Keep praying, keep talking to people, keep working to live up to what the founders
of this Nation believed in.

Cam did a great job as the shoot boss, and even though most of the instructors were new to those jobs all presented well and aided all especially
well. Always nice to not be the only woman in things like this, and I think the three other women that came together were the most improved on
the line! And Deb grew up with with the whole gun thing so was more interested in playing with a wide range of available equipment than in the patch!

I'll be dry firing in my living room, as well as going with 4Posterity to the range! 
Thanks for all of you and all you do to encourage us to be good Citizens.

Justin

Some Pictures from Rainbow, mostly from "Ball and Dummy" a few from Saturday lunch.

The Firing Line

And I quote "(I) received personal one on one quality instruction on my technique (or lack thereof) (from 4posterity)

Lunch and Heritage on Saturday

Learning and Teaching Techniques

More Ball and Dummy

"Le médiocrité est l'ennemi de la parfaite." -

"We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them" - Abigail Adams

California Appleseed
http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Appleseed/203137793037851

Camljr

OK... here are more pics that I promised....
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Ruger

Hi, mine name is Ladd and my son Luke and I where at the north end of the line with David. First off I would like to say how great every one was. I wish we had more time to get to know every one but I know the amount of information that was delivered had to keep coming. The course was very welled laid out with each learning session building on the last session with the right amount of review. We really enjoyed the course and can't wait for the next one. I feel so strongly about the princibles of the Appleseed that I do plan on continuing on so that I can be an instructor.I feel that one has no right to complain about things if they aren't willing to stand up and do something to make the situation better. Ladd

Camljr

Ladd,

We are glad that the heritage grabbed you by the heart... The instruction is just a bonus we do for everyone.

We would be glad to have you as an instructor. Your son, Luke, is a good kid, hope he comes back to another Appleseed.

We are in the process of getting another shoot at Rainbow going this year, if it fits the schedule for them.
If not, for sure early next year.  See you then, In the meantime, keep telling folks about their heritage, AND Appleseeed, and practice the fundamentals at the range. Take a friend to the range, also....

Cameron
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

Theodore Roosevelt