News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Athens Oct 16-17 All Ladies

Started by Dangerous D, October 22, 2010, 05:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dangerous D

Ohio AS history was made this weekend as the first all ladies event was held in Athens!

Thanks to the Athens Fish and Game for providing the range and the support volunteers to make it a truly memorable weekend. 
It was great to stand at the end of the line and look down at line full of ladies representing so many different experiences coming together for a great weekend.  From grandmas to moms to daughters and friends it was clearly a group of folks that gathered for weekend of skill building, confidence building, getting connected with our shared history, and making a difference (oh and maybe some knitting and crocheting too). 
Thanks to the guys who willingly came to provide vital support and complied with the rule of staying leaving the firing line to us! 

Keep up the hard work everyone as we all know each one of us can make a difference!

I look forward to seeing you all again on the line....anyone up for Wooster????

If you have photos to share please feel free to post them here.

Col. Morgan's Granddaughter

I cannot repeat it enough...the instructors were THE BEST!  Dinky is an exceptional Shoot Boss, and I hope to be on a line with her (and Donna, of course) again, and often.  Perhaps when I next encounter them I'll have progress which is obvious?  Earn a purple patch?  I want, I want, I want...you get the idea.

This was the first time anyone has worked with me specifically on my rifle GRIP.  My hands seem to be especially small making grip and placement awkward.  The knowledgeable gals padded and wrapped my stock to "build it up" for better thumb placement to allow me that perfect curved finger for a smooth, straight backward trigger squeeze.  Yes, they did, they did, and it's all in my head now.  No more dragging wood.

Dinky did a fine job demonstrating Rifleman's Cadence, which I'd heard mentioned but not actually taught.  Thanks Dinky.  More technique to practice.

On a sadder note...unless the winter weather is kind in WV and not too harsh, I won't be practicing actual shooting until warmer weather since I'm not such a hearty girl who enjoys the cold and rolling around on damp or snowy ground (I know...sissy, sissy, sissy!).  Anyway, I'll try to work on shooting positions and dry firing in the house, in front of the fireplace until then.  But I'm not giving up yet cause the cold has yet to truly set in.  I'm wishing it was spring because now that I'm all jazzed to work on my rifleman skills the weather will soon be too icky to get out there and enjoy. 

BUT...from January on I'll be helping plan Appleseed/Ladyseed (in the works) at my home range right here in Almost Heaven WV.  How 'bout that?  ^:)^
Cynthia
I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies.

George T

Octogranny,

Great to have you at Athens Fish & Game and hear your stories about your Morgan ancestors.  We manservants were fortunate to be allowed a break from the hot kitchen to listen in.
You have a natural talent for story telling and will have no trouble with the history part when you accept the orange hat which is surely in your future.

It is good to practice dryfire throughout those winter months as you plan, just keep all live ammo in a separate room well away from the area you plan to pratice and that nothing you do not want to shoot is on the other side of that wall!

Come back to Athens Fish & Game whenever you can.

George T

rimfire

(Rim Fire) seeking to make rifleman

rimfire

I lost my post before it was sent, so I'm going to try again. George I love your post. You can never take the word safe for granted. And I know from being your Friend and student that you never do. And that one rule is left out so often, sometimes people think they can pick up a AR or an M1 in a room full of people an aim at the wall and squeeze the trigger off. Well we know what happens if there is a live round in the chamber, the projectile hits the wall and threw the wall and beyond. Well truthfull the person in the parking lot is hit and it is called an accident. George this is a great rule of safety, thanks for bringing it up in your post. ALLWAYS KNOW YOUR TARGET AND WHATS BEYOUND IT. Thanks George.
(Rim Fire) seeking to make rifleman

Quote from: rimfire on November 01, 2010, 10:45:55 AM
ALLWAYS KNOW YOUR TARGET AND WHATS BEYOUND IT. Thanks George.

Rimfire...spoken like an NRA safety trained shooter!  And...I'm on the trail of that Rifleman patch myself!
I'd love to earn it at Athens!
OctoGrannyWV :~
Cynthia
I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies.

Dangerous D...Will make an attempt to get a few LadySeed photos uploaded (it's about time!)

My elbows are finally healed.  Um that was after wearing UnderArmour elbow pads along with a jacket with elbow pads.  I guess next time will add the stretch bandage on elbows before the pads?  Do all the women of AppleSeed have calloused, blistered elbows?  I find it's not an attractive look with evening wear...explanations are necessary  **)

With luck, photos will accompany this post...if it's blank, either I'm a goof or my computer is gaming me this evening.

Cindi
Cynthia

Cynthia

More photos...either the page or my machine chooses to limit me, so post-by-post I add more photos...oh geeze, this is the slow method!
Cynthia

Note to self:  Do not post after your bedtime - you forget to add the photos grandma!
Cynthia

Cynthia

New LadySeed friends.

The culinary staff who catered to our hunger and thirst.

Cynthia, at the stage of two shirts and elbow pads...the day began with two shirts, one vest, one shooting jacket.
Progressed to two shirts, one shooting jacket.  Progressed further to two shirts. and ended with one Tee shirt, elbow pads all the way. 

Was a gorgeous fall day marred only by the generous flocks of lady bug impostor beetles carried upon the winds. They flew into faces, eyes, mouths, and walked upon hands and rifles.  Their onslaught would wax and wane with the breeze.  Who knew?  The little stinkers STING!  One was knawing on my chicken wing as I was shooting, but I kept firing.  Can't say that would have been the case with a large, hairy spider though.

And, that straight row of tall trees behind the stars and stripes billowing in the wind is very attractive.
Cynthia