News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Advanced Instructor Boot Camp (AIBC), March 26-27, 2011

Started by The Machine, October 18, 2010, 01:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AuntieBellum

It appears that one of the fancy new Blue Hats made it's way atop someone's head over there in WV.  It's good to see those new hats in action!   O0
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

brickhouse

QuoteHopefully, there are hordes of other attendees that are still in shock from their encounter with The Real Fred  and have forgotten how to log onto the forum and post a reply because they are consumed with thoughts about how they can 7th Step and further the Mission...

Some truth to that. The "truth light" did not flicker all weekend, and y'all know how exhausting that can be   ;)

In fact, I think the event worthy of two reports. Andy and I told everyone we would post some details here (in process) and I would like to start an IAAR as well (long in process). But other attendees need not wait (not that anyone can tell a mountaineer what to do anyways).
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton Jr

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.csj.org/infoserv_cult101/checklis.htm

EZ3

Sorry to be delinquent, Cooper.  I was unable to stay for Sunday, and it looks like I missed all the fun stuff. 

Hoping to see the IAAR soon, or if it is better not to post all the gory details, maybe Spanner could play courier?  Please?     :-[
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

brickhouse

Siglite is right, much of the day-one material is that covered in a typical IBC. Yet, this was absolutely NOT a typical IBC.

Of course, part of it was that we were all excited to meet and hear from Fred "hisself." But it was so much more than that.

Even the most grizzled Appleseed veteran can learn much from an AIBC. I doubt there is one of us who claims that he does not learn something new every time he hears the three strikes. In fact, many actively seek to hear the story from as many people and as many different perspectives as possible. Hearing from the originator of Appleseed how to run "an ideal Appleseed" is a learning experience not to be missed. 

One of the true values of the AIBC is in that we are already pre-moistened sponges; No longer are we just trying to "drink from the fire hose," we are more able to soak in and digest what we are hearing. More info on the syllabus is still forthcoming.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - General George S. Patton Jr

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

brickhouse

Quote from: AuntieBellum on April 01, 2011, 11:22:31 PM
It appears that one of the fancy new Blue Hats made it's way atop someone's head over there in WV.  It's good to see those new hats in action!   O0

And a more deserving wearer is not be found anywhere. The Machine is the Godfather of WV Appleseed. He founded the first WV DAR-- the location where almost all our current instructors attended their first Appleseed.    :bow:    :bow:   

Cooper

Quote from: EZ3 on April 02, 2011, 04:56:41 PM
Sorry to be delinquent, Cooper.  I was unable to stay for Sunday, and it looks like I missed all the fun stuff. 
Hoping to see the IAAR soon, or if it is better not to post all the gory details, maybe Spanner could play courier?  Please?     :-[
My understanding is that an IAAR will appear soon, and my understanding of the "I"AAR's is that any and all significant things should be aired... Sort of like an ongoing "honesty light," the secret technique that will be Project Appleseed's salvation in the long run...

coop
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Cooper

Quote from: brickhouse on April 02, 2011, 06:46:25 PM
And a more deserving wearer is not be found anywhere. The Machine is the Godfather of WV Appleseed. He founded the first WV DAR-- the location where almost all our current instructors attended their first Appleseed.    :bow:    :bow:   

The Machine... I didn't know this...
You are now one of my most revered, and I am deeply honored that I was blessed with interacting with you with respect to securing an appropriate venue for the "Salvation AIBC."

I did not question the "little inklings" that lead me to commit to the Mountaineer State as the pivotal locale that would be the eastern linchpin for the success of the Mission.  No other event called out to me as having a need for intervention.

I'm glad I listened.  Mission Accomplished, as far as I can tell.

HUZZAH!

Coop

"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

brickhouse

Revised - Melded WV-AIBC POI bullet point notes
(from BrickHouse & Patent guy)

One key word for Project Appleseed--"Urgency" --This was Fred's central theme.

Saturday Discussions
What is the American Revolution?
  --armed conflict starting at Lexington and Concord
  --vision of how to live a life of liberty
  --Liberty requires responsibility
  --the external world's view of the "American Experiment"
Fred suggests the founders might answer this question by pointing to the constitution

During the Safety briefing and greeting frame the weekend by asking: The Four Questions
1.   When and where was the Revolutionary War won?
2.   When and where did the Revolutionary War break out?
3.   Why did the professional British army turn tail and run after a two-minute encounter with a bunch of shopkeepers and farmers?
4.   Who fired the first shots on Lexington green?

Major Appleseed Guidelines
1.   Safety
2.   Effectiveness[ 1 + 2 = "get the job done safely"]
3.   Never forget the mission
4.   Simplicity and Precision
5.   Team work
--   All instructors should model "ideal student" behavior; center up quickly, pay attention to instructor speaking, no side conversations etc
6.   Always learn--have a teachable attitude
7.   TPI--Total Participant Involvement
8.   Mentor; students, volunteers, other instructors
9.   Master the time monkey
10.   Teach them to fish
11.   Framing--provide a scaffolding that all attendees can use to build their learning for the week-end
12.   IAO; Improvise, adapt, overcome [Awesome movie, until the last ½ hour]
13.   This program is a friend to all and an enemy to none
14.   Train your replacement
15.   Always build bridges; new contacts, new ranges
16.   Every Appleseed should have a seventh step coordinator
--   Keep an eye open for attendees to with whom to follow-up
--   Follow up with ID'd individuals
17.   Bring a new Appleseeder to each event
18.   We don't have to live with problems in this program (propose a fix)
19.   Seize every opportunity to advance Appleseed

General Considerations
--   IAO; volunteer students if need be
--   Student/ instructor ratio "is what it is" deal with it
--   Always be prepared to be the only instructor who shows up to an event
--   Be professional, project aura of professionalism
--   Discipline among instructors, and on the Line
--   IIT's must be advanced at each event (if possible and w/in reason)
--   Create a team among instructors
--   Test: "center up" means instructors become sheepdogs instantly
--   Mentor all instructors. Ask for feedback on mentor process and your part in it
--   Separate spouses/ siblings etc "I want you to be able to focus on the instruction...."
--   Ensure each shooter gets some one-on-one instruction
--   Center fire riles at right hand end of firing line (or at least the end)
--   Space on the line minimum 42 inches per shooter
--   Be aggressive in a nice way

Redcoat Target
•   A unique target that answers the question "What is your maximum effective range"
•   Hits on each silhouette--one may be luck, two may be coincidence, three just may be skill
•   Provides baseline for progress over the week-end

"Heritage"--History you care about
•   Again refer to the many forum discussions for full range of tips
•   Use guideposts to ensure most salient points covered
•   "History that you never learned in school"
•   Emphasize risks to each person and "the choice" made
•   1st strike: here, list 4 questions, if not done before
•   2nd Strike: Answers 2 of 4 questions (3 & 4, @North Bridge)
•   3rd Strike: Heath and Circle of fire

Sunday Discussions
Becoming a better instructor
•   Personal Goals
--   Check your ego/ Humility
--   Drain emotion
--   Always learning
--   Determined and persistent
•   As a volunteer
--   Step up
--   Emotion, keep yours in check

Guiding Principals
•   Beat the time monkey
•   Help people find the event
•   Make the sales pitch beforehand
•   Have training plan for instructors
•   Have a 7th step coordinator
•   Have instructors bring someone to each A/S

Guiding principles for Redhats and IITs
•   Be proactive
•   Teach them to fish
•   TPI
•   Teach students to focus on the basics and what they are doing correctly (especially when a student has such large groups it is likely multiple things are wrong)
•   Concentrate on providing simple/ precise instruction (KISS--keep it simple stupid)
•   Explain by the book and return with a "one-word review"
•   Chorus six steps often

The Ball & Dummy test for EGO:
          See a post on the forum:
      Q: Did you experience an emotion?

EZ3

Thanks to both of you for the summary.  Great work!     :bow:
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy