News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Guntersville, AL August 28-29 2010

Started by Bama, August 30, 2010, 06:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bama

I wanted to go ahead and start this so some of the shooters can find where to give us their thoughts.

I was not SB so I don't have the sign in sheets but I believe there were 32 shooters on Saturday and 21 on Sunday. Rained all day Sunday. The harder it rained and the faster the wind blew, the larger the grins present.

I think it was 2 Riflemen, 1 Riflewoman and one Riflegnat.   ::)

It was another typical Appleseed with plenty of smiles, laughs, tears and careful moments of reflection.

Much more to say but 1> I dont want to steal the SB/SBITs thunder, and 2> I need a few winks.  $$-0

Bama
To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

-Niccolo Machiavelli (1531)

kartoffel

This was my first Appleseed. It was a good experience and definitely plan to do it again! I want to extend a huge thank you to the Blue & Gray club for hosting and all the volunteers who helped put it on.

Some highlights that come to mind:
- one of the riflemen pulled off a 245... with a bolt action!
- we had an Alabama state senator at the shoot. Hopefully soon to become the first Rifleman Senator.
- When hot .308 brass lands on wet clothes, it sizzles.

Bamanurse

A big THANK YOU to everyone that came out to the shoot and to the Blue and Gray club for having us.  Also thank you Junior Birdman for being there and coaching me and giving me such great pointers and advice as I worked as Line Boss all day Saturday for the first time. Thank you 4merUSMC for the chance to do it. Thanks to Bama, Goose, Franklinfarmer, and Hondaman for helping me out on the line.  I felt like spongbob trying to soak up all the tips that Junior Birdman was giving me.

I'm proud to say we have a new IIT in the Appleseed fold. Gnat shot 227 for his second riflemans score and has accepted the responsibility of te Orange hat. I think it hit him on the way home he asked " are the tests hard to move up?". We will see how the 7th grader can do.   He will progree at his rate and I appreciate everyones patience with us both. While I was LineBoss they informed him he didn't have a mom. Worked well

It was wonderful seeing all the ladies on the line.  Laura was one heck of a shot from the B and G club. WOW. Elaine hang in there you willake it.  Andrea I'm so glad you came and enjoyed yourself Sunday.
"We dare defend our rights"
Molon Labe
I might not be the brightest or sharpest crayon in the box but I think outside the box anyway.
All bleeding stops eventually and breathing is over rated.

No trees were harmed in the making of this post but some electrons were seriously inconvenienced.

Bamanurse

Hard to type on an IPhone   ZenJenn look forward to seeing you at another shoot and hang in there it does get easier each time.

Senator sir, it was a pleasure and an honor to have you on the line. Proud of you for giving it and us a chance.

Glad that Junior Birdman didn't hear that just an hour or so down throad at the state fair they have "MONKEYS RIDIN DOGS!". Oh wait, the fair runs through the 6 th of September   
"We dare defend our rights"
Molon Labe
I might not be the brightest or sharpest crayon in the box but I think outside the box anyway.
All bleeding stops eventually and breathing is over rated.

No trees were harmed in the making of this post but some electrons were seriously inconvenienced.

4merUSMC1803

My apologies for chining in so late, but here's what I can post:

Location:  Blue & Gray Rifle Pistol Club in lovely Guntersville, AL.  A brand new AS venue; SOLD OUT!!
Attendance: Day 1-28, Day 2-21  A very special Thank You to all the participants!
Instructors: Junior Birdman, SB; 4merUSMC1803, SBIT; Bama, RH; Franklinfarmer, RH; Bamanurse, IIT1; Goose, IIT; Hondaman, IIT

Sat-28 Shooters, 3 Riflemen; Galen (Gnat), Laura, and Jim. 
1st am Redcoat: 100 yds-12; 200 yds-8; 300 yds-2; 400 yds-1; HS-3; Clean-0
2nd pm Redcoat: 100 yds-16; 200 yds-9; 300 yds-6; 400 yds-3; HS-9; Clean-1

Sun-21 Shooters, 3 Riflemen; Laura and Jim, repeating/validating; and Scott
1st am Redcoat: 100 yds-14; 200 yds-9; 300 yds-2; 400 yds-3; HS-6; Clean-0

We had a very special guest, Alabama State Senator Paul Sanford, (Franklinfarmer's brother in law) who was knocking (hard) on the door to Rifleman by the end of the event!  Senator Sanford, thank you for your service to Alabama and for your attendance at our program!

Saturday started out sunny, warm with a brisk breeze to cool things off.  We welcomed the shooters, performed instructor/IIT intros, covered the Safety Rules, and Line Commands.  Moved right into the Hits Count and recorded the above results.  Franklinfarmer gave the Prelim & 1st Stike,  then we deluged the shooters with marksmanship instruction, beginning with the 6 Steps, and all the rest.  Due to length of instruction and drills, only shot 1 AQT; and found 3 Riflemen, 1 repeat, Gnat (who also took on the burden of an Orange Hat) and two 1st timers, Laura and Jim.  Closed the day with me delivering the 2nd Strike, and Junior Birdman conducting the Benediction.

Sunday dawned with a steady drizzle as Junior Birdman delivered the 3rd Strike.  Next we shot a Hits Count, with the results recorded above.  As we reviewed instruction and the stages of the AQT, including shooting, the rain picked up. By the time we fired the 1st AQT, I feel safe using the term "torrential downpour".  Yet, Laura (shooting an AR) and Jim validated their rifleman scores with a 227 and 232 respectively.  Jim later shot a 245, including  perfect stages 3 and 4! Using a bolt action rifle in a heavy rain! In spite of the inclement weather, most shooters gutted it out and we found our final Rifleman of the day with Scott shooting a 227, after barely missing on the previous AQT. All the shooters were inspiring, continuing to perservere throughout the nasty rain. During the heaviest part of the rain, I looked up to see Andrea, a first time shooter, with the largest grin I saw all weekend; she was obviously having a Great Time!  This had to be the pinnacle of my weekend experience.   

I'll post some photos when I have more time.
Everyone else please jump in and relate your experiences and/or thoughts.
D Lawley

franklinfarmer

I'm very impressed with the attitudes and skill level of the Alabama shooters, and it was a pleasure to get to work with and learn from the (famous) Alabama crew.  Many thanks for having me.  Being on the West side of Georgia, I look forward to much future collaboration in saving liberty.  One and all (especially if you live near the I-20 corridor) keep an eye out for shoots at the West Georgia Youth Range in Waco, GA.  We're just East of the Alabama line.

As Laura mentioned on another thread, it was great to see so many new shooters and so many young shooters.  A big smile comes to my face when I think of the benefit that will come to one sharp shooting little Gnat and our nation as he goes through the IIT program. 

FF
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

goose

The weekends in Alabama have been simply terrific.  The devotion to Apple Seed by both the Instructor Volunteers and the students who give up their weekends to attend is hammered out on both the firing line and by the "strikes" delivered through Saturday and Sunday.

The Blue & Gray Gun Club loaned us a beautiful range for the weekend.  My personal thanks goes out to them, too.

I cannot say enough in boasting of the fine American Patriots that I am honored to share this past Guntersville weekend with.  The friendship, camaraderie and professionalism passed along is incredibly motivating.

Junior Birdman didn't wrap up his Sunday until granting me the privilege to advance to IIT1 in the Cracker Barrell parking lot at 2030 hours, after about 5 cups of coffee to fuel the ride back to Atlanta.

As always, I look forward to getting back to the Heart of Dixie to lend a hand and work with 4merUSMC, BAMA, Jr. Birdman, BamaNurse, Gnat, HondaMan, FranklinFarmer(crossing the State line, too), and any of the folks who hear the call of the hammer fall--to don the Orange Hat and teach their skills to the next firing line.

Godspeed,

Jim/goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

Gnat

heyy im gnat(galen) yes i did  :--- 227 on saturday i was soo  **) ^:)^ ..:.. when i saw 227 and i recieved my orange hat i shot my ar on sunday but i knew i would not shoot rifleman with it thnx to the blue&grey club for letting us shoot on your range.  we went so my mom could practice with the line commands and such. i went soo i could recieve the orange hat before the shoot in tuscaloosa.thnx soo much i had a great time ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. **) **) **) **) **) **) **) bye
"Shoot straight and keep your power dry."
                                -Robert Lee Ermy

lperry63

Quote from: Bama on August 30, 2010, 06:36:34 PM
I think it was 2 Riflemen, 1 Riflewoman and one Riflegnat.   ::)

I just wanted to say what a cool statement this is about the Appleseed program. Imagine if someone wandered onto the range and you asked them to point out the potential "riflemen" in our intrepid group. Who would have picked me & Gnat to be in that group?  ;D  I was very happy to be able to qualify with the scoped 10/22 and then back it up with the iron sight AR.

I had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the training and history lesson. I just heard from the B&G club president tonight - he saw an eagle flying over the range during the first strike presentation... He is also happy to invite the Appleseed group back for future events. I look forward to donning an orange cap at my next Appleseed.

Laura

Bama

Quote from: lperry63 on August 31, 2010, 09:53:28 PM
I look forward to donning an orange cap at my next Appleseed.

Laura

I'd be as proud as a game rooster to have you there.
To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

Chummy85

On behalf of my daughter and I, we would like to add our thanks for all the instructors that we met in Guntersville this past weekend. I've burned up a lot of nitrocellulose over the years, but after a little Appleseed instruction, I feel like I have a better notion of how to put the holes in the targets where they are supposed to go. Thanks to Bamanurse for the loan of a rifle when we we having trouble with ours. Elaine did'nt get her patch this round, but we'll be back again.

4merUSMC, we got Elaine's shooting jacket at; http://www.militarylogisticsmfg.com/p0002252.html

Bama, the slip on shooting pads can be had at; http://shooterpads.com/   Just in case you ever decide to shoot an AQT wit a 373H&H!

JuniorBirdman, Thanks for bringing history to life, keep checking 6 for those monkeys!

Goose, great job running the line.

Hope to see you guys again sometime.

Scott

Colcord

I am embarassed to report that I heard a loud KAPOWWW about 500 yards after leaving my driveway early Saturday morning for Guntersville. After pulling over to investigate, I found the forward gears in my car no longer serve a useful purpose. The car will be fixed or replaced. The opportunity to attend the first Appleseed in Guntersville will not! Thanks to all of those that did manage to attend.
"the Enimy Brought almost their whole force against us, together with 8 Peices of Artillery. But we who had Something more at stake than six Pence P per day kept our ground til Night, Closed the scene, & then Both Parties Retire'd."
"it was a Debt that they & Every one owe their Country."
Dearborn

AlaSprout

Quote from: 4merUSMC1803 on August 31, 2010, 01:00:12 AM
....During the heaviest part of the rain, I looked up to see Andrea, a first time shooter, with the largest grin I saw all weekend; she was obviously having a Great Time!  This had to be the pinnacle of my weekend experience....

Thanks for sharing this, 4merUSMC1803!  I'm Andrea's husband and she was having a great time the entire weekend.  However, things really peaked for her on Sunday afternoon when BamaNurse loaned Andrea her match-grade 10/22 with scope.  Then she started nailing the 400m targets and that must have been about the time you saw her face. :)
Liberty has never come from the government.  Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.  The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
   -Woodrow Wilson, New York Press Club, 9 Sept. 1912

AlaSprout

Quote from: Bamanurse on August 30, 2010, 09:12:25 PM
It was wonderful seeing all the ladies on the line...Andrea I'm so glad you came and enjoyed yourself Sunday.

Andrea's not yet registered on the forum, but as her husband let me respond for now.  I don't know if anyone else did, but I hounded Bama to get a female instructor out there for my wife.  So, thank you very much for answering that call.  Thank you also for letting her borrow your match-grade, scoped 10/22 on Sunday.  She had fun the whole weekend, but shooting your file was the highlight.
Liberty has never come from the government.  Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.  The history of liberty is a history of resistance.

AlaSprout

To all of the instructors and IITs at the Guntersville B&G Appleseed: THANK YOU!  You guys really run a tight ship.  It would take too long for me to fully express the many different aspects of that weekend that I appreciated, but I'll list a few here.  First and foremost would be the personal sacrifice each of you makes by volunteering your time to this cause.  Second would be the level of safety that you maintain on your range and all times.  Third would be the friendly and patient demeanor of each instructor.  The final items on my short list are your thoughtfulness in bringing cold water and Gatorade for everyone and freely loaning equipment as needed.

The only complaint I have is that Sunday I could not hear the line commands/instructions very well, which I think was due in part to the heavy rainfall on the canopies covering the firing line.  Also, I was at the far end of the line that day.  On Saturday, we were in the very center of the line and had no trouble hearing Bamanurse's booming voice. :)

Today, I ordered a couple of slings for Andrea & I and a pad of the Quick and Dirty AQT targets from the Appleseed store.  We'll be practicing what we learned from you guys both at home and on the range and we'll be back for another Appleseed within a year's time.  And next time we're going to earn our Rifleman patches!   :)

4merUSMC1803

Here is the first batch of photos from Guntersville.
D Lawley

4merUSMC1803

More Guntersville photos.
D Lawley

4merUSMC1803

Guntersville photos, 2nd Day.
D Lawley

InAbnRgr

I want to say THANK YOU to the Appleseed instructors and students that came out to the Blue & Gray.  The excellent course of instruction in both: 1) the history of April 19, 1775 and 2) to make us ALL better shooters was far better than expected and well worth every penny.

Being a former infantry airborne ranger, I thought that I could do some shooting.  I had forgotten that over the years; once you get married, have a bunch of kids, leave the service, don't get to shoot as much as you might like; that one forgets things and over time gets sloppy.  So for all you former military guys, it is time to get off of the couch.

The instructors are ALL very knowledgeable in their trade of "Marksmanship" and can teach every single one of us, something to help us improve our skills.  So if you want to have a great time, improve your skills, be challenged and meet some of your finest fellow-citizens, then I encourage you to come on out to a shoot.  See you on the range.

Chandelier27AAA

Hey Ya'll!
This is Alexandra! I had an AMAZING time last weekend. I actually have a Blog on Tumblr, and I mentioned Appleseed in it. I highly recommend you read it (and please comment if you do read it.)
http://alexandra93anne.tumblr.com/

I hope to attend another Appleseed soon! Thanks to all the volunteers who made my experience wonderful! And thanks to everyone who put up with my "shooting songs" on the second day.
<3
Alexandra_Anne<3

Bama

Thanks for the kind words, the dedication, the persistence and the focus you shared with us over that weekend.

Alexandra, I can tell by your blog post that you paid close attention to the material (or maybe my Vulcan mind-meld techniques are getting better?  ++))!

I will follow up with the range towards the end of this week. Hopefully we can get more shoots scheduled at the Blue & Grey soon. North Alabama seems to be very fertile ground. I hope to see you all again soon.

Bama

LadySprout

I realize that my comments are way late.  However, I wanted to express my appreciation to all of the instructors.  I learned so much in such a short time!  A special thanks to Bama and BamaNurse.  I enjoyed the Appleseed event and hope that there will more opportunities in north Alabama soon.