News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

NRA Cert. Instructor courses-Need numbers

Started by nyrasgt, November 15, 2010, 11:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nyrasgt

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Be advised that if you are interested in acquiring the designation of NRA Certified Instructor, either in Pistol or Rifle discipline, you will have the opportunity in January, 2011, in the Glens Falls-Lake George area of northeastern New York.  Some Vermont, NH, or Pa. folks might also be interested.
  At present the tentative dates will be Friday (evening), Sat/Sun Jan. 7-8-9 for Pistol Instructor, and Friday(evening), Sat/Sun Jan. 14-15-16 for Rifle Instructor.  At the moment the cost of the course (set by the NRA Training Counselor, Jim Tucker) looks to be $90 ea.  Since each class will entail some range work during Sunday,
the Hudson Falls Fish and Game Club will likely also charge $10 for range use.
  I would like to start compiling a potential head count of interested AS personnel, so we can start planning an instructional venue, as well as a rough idea of equipment and materials each class might need.
  Please RSVP by PM if interested, indicating in which class you are interested (or both).  I am also in the process of establishing a "volume discount" for folks taking BOTH classes:  how does 2 for $140 (a $40 savings) sound? 
Let me know if you are interested in one or both of these classes.  DON'T DELAY...
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

jmdavis

I attended an NRA Rifle Instructor course in NC last weekend. I think that there are a number of things that AS instructors can learn from their methods and information. One of the most important is dealing with less experienced shooters. A couple of years ago, it was unusual for someone to show up at an AS with a gun that had never been out of the box and without any shooting experience. These days, it's not unusual to have 3 or 4 or 5 at a shoot. These students need instruction that is more basic than the AS POI. Instruction that probably includes basic rifle operation, cleaning, nomenclature, etc etc.

The NRA POI includes much of this information along with covering the standing (freearm and target styles), prone, kneeling and siitting positions. It also appears to me that the price of this instruction is very good. I paid $95 for basic instructor/rifle instructor at the class that I attended and that is $200 less than many that I saw.

Mike

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Spartan

Mark,
What a great deal!!!  Normally, these cost hundreds more.  I have the rifle and would take the pistol but that weekend there is a biathlon on saturday the 7 Jan that I already committed too.  If he changes the dates or can work something around let me know.
Thank you
John
"With your shield or on it"

nyrasgt

Additional info re NRA Cert Pistol and Rifle Instructor courses in Glens Falls/Lake George area of upstate NY January, 2011:

1)  Cost will be $90 PER DISCIPLINE...since Training Counselor giving up better part of 6 days, not going to discount for both classes.  Sorry.
     My sense is that price is still less than most would charge.
    NRA Cert Range Safety Officer will ALSO be offered at either class for an additional $35; again, a bargain.
2)  Dates look like Fri-Sun 1/7-8-9 for Pistol, Fri-Sun 1/14-16 for Rifle.
3)  Times:  Fri: 6p - 10p
               Sat: 8:30a, - appx 6p.  Will be a break for lunch.
               Sun: 9am - early/midafternoon.
4)  NRA requires full attendance for certification, photo copies of 2 picture IDs, and application paperwork (TC supplied), as well
    as credit card # or check to pay for course and certifications from the NRA, which requires the paperwork and course completion
    materials to be sent in together.
5)  I think we're looking at a 12/15 HARD cut-off date, so check your commitments and RSVP.

Will post any addl info as available, but let me know if and how interested you are.
Thanks and excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists

nyrasgt

FYI, picture ID docments required  (for Pistol class 1/7-8-9) will be driver's license and NY pistol license (if from NY).  Suggesting use of .22 pistol for class for same reason we use @ AS - less ammo expense.  May have .22 loaners but students must have license in order to handle another's handgun.
Excelsior,
madMark
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists

gunville

Quote from: nyrasgt on November 16, 2010, 02:05:22 PM
  May have .22 loaners but students must have license in order to handle another's handgun.

Not to hijack' that may be a rule, but it's not a requirement of NY Law.

An unlicensed (adult) may shoot using a licensed handgun in the presence (supervision) of the licensed owner - at a range, training, etc. (This includes 18 YO even though they can not license until 21.)

And actually, IIRC a licensed individual CAN'T shoot (posses) someone else's licensed handgun UNLESS the specific licensed person is present. The SN has to be on your license if you are in possession.

(We could lend long-arms all day long.)

NY law sucks. !@#)
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

sgtrock

To add to what gunville said,,, the age is 14 (fourteen) That law was passed by Governor Pataki before he left office,,, I'll still wait for someone to push the NRA to recognize US as Instructors,,,

sgtrock

gunville

I've heard the 14 age WRT handguns, but can't find it in the law. My copy is supposed to be valid as of the 2007 session and it says 18.

Maybe it's buried in Environmental Conservation law instead of penal law?
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

sgtrock

It's there,
we've got 14 yr olds on our line shooting every Friday night, at Burlington Flats, NY, doin just fine,,,,

so it appears that this WRT acronym is not in the Appleseed (AS) Manual either,,, the proper use of acronyms is,,, write it out, then you may use acronyms there after in your letter or correspondence,,,

sgtrock

gunville

Spartan

"With your shield or on it"

boltgun71

nyrasgt

Quote from: nyrasgt on November 16, 2010, 01:59:02 PM
Additional info re NRA Cert Pistol and Rifle Instructor courses in Glens Falls/Lake George area of upstate NY January, 2011:

1)  Cost will be $90 PER DISCIPLINE...since Training Counselor giving up better part of 6 days, not going to discount for both classes.  Sorry.
     My sense is that price is still less than most would charge.
    NRA Cert Range Safety Officer will ALSO be offered at either class for an additional $35; again, a bargain.
2)  Dates look like Fri-Sun 1/7-8-9 for Pistol, Fri-Sun 1/14-16 for Rifle.
3)  Times:  Fri: 6p - 10p
               Sat: 8:30a, - appx 6p.  Will be a break for lunch.
               Sun: 9am - early/midafternoon.
4)  NRA requires full attendance for certification, photo copies of 2 picture IDs, and application paperwork (TC supplied), as well
    as credit card # or check to pay for course and certifications from the NRA, which requires the paperwork and course completion
    materials to be sent in together.
5)  I think we're looking at a 12/15 HARD cut-off date, so check your commitments and RSVP.

Will post any addl info as available, but let me know if and how interested you are.
Thanks and excelsior,
madMark

Ladies and Gentlemen,
  This will serve as your final boarding call for the NRA Certified Pistol Instructor course 7-9 January, 2011 @ Hudson Falls Fish and Game Club...all ticketed passengers, having been fondled for their own safety, should be on board, having contacted Rick Saunders at 518-792-1412, cell 518-796-1001, or by emailing rs4liberty@aol.com  with subject NRA-Instructor.
   Passengers for the 14-16 January NRA Certified Rifle Instructor course have until next Tuesday, 14 December, 2010, to register - same as above... We do need to have hard numbers for both courses so supplies can be ordered.
  Costs are $90 per class, addl $35 if attendee wishes to add NRA Range Safety Officer certification.  Fair to say that cost of these classes are far below those of the same NRA classes offered elsewhere.  You've been good; Santa tells me you deserve to have yet another card in your formerly bulging wallet...
Excelsior,
madMark
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists

nyrasgt

Quote from: nyrasgt on November 15, 2010, 11:35:01 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Be advised that if you are interested in acquiring the designation of NRA Certified Instructor, either in Pistol or Rifle discipline, you will have the opportunity in January, 2011, in the Glens Falls-Lake George area of northeastern New York.  Some Vermont, NH, or Pa. folks might also be interested.
  At present the tentative dates will be Friday (evening), Sat/Sun Jan. 7-8-9 for Pistol Instructor, and Friday(evening), Sat/Sun Jan. 14-15-16 for Rifle Instructor.  At the moment the cost of the course (set by the NRA Training Counselor, Jim Tucker) looks to be $90 ea.  Since each class will entail some range work during Sunday,
the Hudson Falls Fish and Game Club will likely also charge $10 for range use.
  I would like to start compiling a potential head count of interested AS personnel, so we can start planning an instructional venue, as well as a rough idea of equipment and materials each class might need.
  Please RSVP by PM if interested, indicating in which class you are interested (or both).  I am also in the process of establishing a "volume discount" for folks taking BOTH classes:  how does 2 for $140 (a $40 savings) sound? 
Let me know if you are interested in one or both of these classes.  DON'T DELAY...
Excelsior,
madMark

Wednesday, 15 December, 2010:
Last call for folks to sign up for and attend NE NY NRA Cert. Instructor classes for either Pistol or Rifle Instructor, and add NRA RSO for addl $35.  Each course is $90 - appx 1/3 of what is usually charged elsewhere.  The trick here is to have the minimum number for the classes to "make," that is at least somewhere around 8 or 10.  So, if interested, recommend you call Rick Saunders @518-793-3841 to confrirm your interest.  Thanks, and
Excelsior,
madMark
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists