News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Boulder City NV AAR JANUARY 19-20 2008

Started by kool aid, January 23, 2008, 02:15:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kool aid

I just wrote this and lost it.
So here it is part two.....

43 shooters on Saturday
24 on Sunday

Three bays, Fred in one, Bob210 in another, and AZGromit and Koolaid in the third

Five riflemen for the weekend.
A guy from LA I shall cristen f-stop fitzgerld, Bravo, Francis Marion, Johnny Appleseed, and a local guy whose name escapes me.

Being in three bays, and comming together for history and instruction, my impressions might be fragmetary but here they are in snippits.

Shooters packed cheek and jowel in prone, a rain of brass falling on all but those on the left side of the line.

Bravo wrenching on his rifle using a pounded out allen key and a pair of vice grips.

f-stop working out with his FAL with his gas system turned up so high it was throwing brass over the 12 foot berm. Hair blowing back from the muzzleblast, and he not with a flinch to be seen. He ended up hitting the number using a borrowed M1A, and he only took 38 shots to do it. Scored 211. Was heard to say: I don't need no sissy shooting jacket.

Walking the line towards the end of the day, the fellow next to fstop with the FAL kit gun, wooden fore end held on with rubber bands with an isreal lower, coverd in dust dirt and grit. I looked down, and the picture was just so right. Shooting left handed in the dirt with his body going half way up the berm and just keeping at it......

The local fellow who shot the whole weekend with a mosin model 91, bone stock. 

Johnny Applesed shooting the AQT (rapid) on saturday afternoon, using a thin bbl sporter in 30-06, and getting it so hot he melted it to the shooting mat when he was done.... and yes, he shot rifleman with it.

Francis Marion in his very well worn USMC shooting coat, sporting an LTR, and scoring the number for the patch and insisting that the 30 cal rule didn't suit him. Didn't need it, turns out. Quiet, self contained competence. Thanks for all your work out west, bro.

Gromit getting his own bay, and no one needed to do anything but stand back and let the man do his thing.

Being so tight on our line saturday, that we had to pair up a couple of pairs of shooters to share targets. 30 and 22LR on the same target for a couple of exercises.

There is much more to share, but you get a flavor.

Anyone else care to, go right ahead and follow on this post.

One of the shortcommings of having an Appleseed at BCRC is that the range closes to the public at 4 PM. We have to truncate the program accordingly.

We are working with local contacts and the board of the BCRC to make this NOT be the case in the future. Stay tuned.

I had written this empassioned plea in my first attempt at this post (now lost in the eather), so let me boil it down to the bare essence.

My brothers, it is good to be amongst you. To meet you in this rightous endevour. To get to know you a little better. I hope that we may do so again soon.
There are those amongst us who have taken the larger portion of the work to make it possible for us to enjoy these times together.
They do not need to be named, for they are true sons of martha.
My solumn wish is that the one thing they give us that they cannot get back, their time, is not sqandered on our behalf.
That we see what a fragile thing this really is, this chance to pass something along that was once as common a part of our culture as the internet is now.
That we conduct ourselves accordingly.
Fellowship is good. Fellowship with a purpose is even better.
Superbowl? We don't need no stingking superbowl.......
So lets get the word out guys, to those who have ears to hear and eyes to see.
The ones we don't need to ease the way for.

Because for every guy we have to drag kicking to an Appleseed, there are three who get it and will do what it takes to make it there.
I am kool aid, and I am honored to serve.
Take a moment and remember the kind of man you chose to be when you got yourself out of that last scrape. Maybe you prayed that you would be different if he delivered you. Maybe you found hope here you thought unreachable. Do not concern yourself with anything 'els THAT. Make the mission first.

Grin Reaper

QuoteMy brothers, it is good to be amongst you. To meet you in this rightous endevour. To get to know you a little better. I hope that we may do so again soon.
There are those amongst us who have taken the larger portion of the work to make it possible for us to enjoy these times together.
They do not need to be named, for they are true sons of martha.
My solumn wish is that the one thing they give us that they cannot get back, their time, is not sqandered on our behalf.
That we see what a fragile thing this really is, this chance to pass something along that was once as common a part of our culture as the internet is now.
That we conduct ourselves accordingly.
Fellowship is good. Fellowship with a purpose is even better.
My only objection, is that this is too long to sig.  :)
"There's gotta be a few umlauts laying around somewhere." JB

socalserf

Great AAR Kool Aid,
The shoot was held in almost ideal weather. A little cool but not bad. Some wind came up Sunday after noon but again not bad.
The instructors did a fine job. I saw a lot of improvement on the line I was on. Bob210 told a wonderful tale of April 19,1775 , his first Fred said.
A lot of people came in from Cal. but most were local. The fellow shooting next to me had flown in from Missouri! How is that for dedication!
Congratulations to all the folks who shot Rifleman scores, Bravo, Francis Marion, F-Stop F , and others whose names I should have written down.
I saw a lot of young folks and families, which is always encouraging. As well as several couples.
One of the best parts for me was to make the acquaintance of people who are on the board and active posters.
Wish I could have spent more time socializing but that isnt the purpose of the AS.
Looking foward to seeing everyone in the future!
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."

Greg in MO

Had a great time shooting next to socalsurf.  Got to tease him about shooting the small gun for scores, and the big gun for everything else.  You will be glad to know I bought a 10/22 yesterday, so I'll be right there with you next time.  I also enjoyed shooting with and talking to Bravo's son Brian.  What a good kid with a great attitude!  Well done Bravo (and congrats on shooting your score!).

This was my second Appleseed.  It's great to meet all the like minded folks, and talk to Bob, Fred (and even Koolaid).  I'm hovering right at 200-205, so I'm within striking distance.  No worries, I'm practicing often and I'll make it soon.

I hope to make it up to Iowa in April, and hopefully be instructing at Osage Beach in October.

Thanks guys!

Greg

socalserf

I have been informed that Xeyed son "C", has broken the Riflemans barrier.
CONGRATULAIONS!!!!
Another pleasant result of the Boulder City AS.
Appleseeds ROCK!
serf
"we cannot improve what we do not measure."

funfaler

Congrats to "C" as well.

The thought of "the sons of Americans" shooting Rifleman scores sure puts Appleseeds into perspective ;D

If I could just get my 2 yr old to sling up better......... ;)

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Buttshot Comanche

Boulder City was my second Appleseed, I really enjoyed it and learned a lot more.   The help of the instructors and participants was outstanding.   Koolaid even helped this old feller up from the prone position one time.   The gentleman from California who loaned me a shooting jacket is much appreciated.    I'd like to know who that was, I want to thank him myself.   PM me if you will.    Rifleman eluded me again, but I'm hot on the trail.

Two sons, five grandsons, and a granddaughter accompanied me.   They all had fun, learned a bunch, and 7.6254RUT and my son are helping organize another shoot on April 19th in Nephi, Utah.    They are raring to go to achieve Rifleman.    What a great family solidarity program!   Thanks, Fred!    And thanks Koolaid & Gromit!

God Bless America,

BC
Firearms in the hands of a free people are a threat only to tyrants.
Freedom is our heritage and our destiny.

Francis Marion

Well B-Shot,
It's my pleasure both to loan you that shooting jacket.  I enjoyed seeing your family shoot the AQT.  Three generations on the line- now that's some of the best you'll see at an Appleseed. 
Thanks for making Appleseed part of your family life.  Hope to see you all on the trail elsewhere.
Who's Appleseed for, anyway-  experienced shooters?  talkers?  doofuses?  squared-away people?
It's for all of the above, and is, especially, the well-spent weekend of free, intelligent people.  Free, because they privately own rifles, and intelligent because they realize that ownership alone does nothing to improve their shooting.  Intelligent because they accept the challenge of shooting to their rifle's effective potential.  Appleseed is a philosophical, political and cultural investment which you make in yourself and in your country. 
So B-shot, thanks for going out of your way, you and your family, to attend.  Family participation in Appleseed reminds me what a valuable program this is.