News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

this is unbelievable !!!! please comment

Started by ecoexplorer, October 03, 2010, 11:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoexplorer

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/10/01/self-aiming-shot-sniper-rifle-scheduled-year/?test=faces

Self-Aiming Sniper Rifles Coming Next Year

A sniper crouches near an open window and zooms in on his target, who sits a half-mile away. He peers through a scope and holds his breath, preparing to squeeze the trigger. But it's windy outside, and he can't afford a miss. What to do?

Clearly, he needs a self-aiming gun. Fortunately, one should be available next year.

Using the One-Shot system, under development by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), a new electro-optical system will calculate the ballistics for him, telling him where to aim and ensuring a perfect shot -- no matter the weather conditions.

Lockheed Martin won a $6.9 million contract this week for the second phase of DARPA's One-Shot system, which will provide direct observations of a target, measure every variable that influences a bullet's flight, and calculate the aim offset in a sniper's rifle scope.

During the project's first phase, which started in 2007, Lockheed developed a down-range system that measured average crosswind; range to target; spotter scope position; air temperature, pressure, and humidity; and more, according to Military Aerospace. Using all those variables, the company calculated the ballistics for a .308 bullet at ranges as far as 3,600 feet.

While that's impressive, the system was too heavy and unwieldy, and it couldn't be used with standard rifle scopes. The phase-two design will be more compact and able to operate in real time and over longer distances.

It will measure atmospheric conditions, account for the weapon's maximum effective range and include GPS coordinates. It's also supposed to communicate with the rifle scope, informing the gun itself of the aim point offset and expected crosswind.

Lockheed is supposed to deliver 15 field-testable prototypes by next October.

Xeyed

Just as fancier planes have not replaced pilots.

Fancier rifles will not replace Riflemen.

Who do you think is going to get this rifle into position on the battlefield? It will take a Rifleman.
And who will identify the target? It will take a Rifleman.
And who will identify if the target is hostile? It will take a Rifleman.
And who will identify when to take the shot? It will take a Rifleman.

Do a quick google for ballistics software http://www.google.com/search?q=ballistics+software&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-aand you will find programs that do similar things. Some will run on Palms and PDA's. Some interface with Weather meters.

Some are both.

http://nkhome.com/wp/2010/05/built-in-targeting-calculator-makes-hand-held-weather-meter-a-breakthrough-compact-ballistics-tool/

It's funny that Lockhead Martin won a government contract to provide a computerized solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

A civilian doesn't need a self aiming gun. A person needs to know how to establish a steady position. A person needs to know the six steps to firing a shot. And a person needs to know how to find and trust his NPOA.  And that's what we teach.

And I'm sure that the Sniper in the story, with his advanced military training and experience would know what to do and compensate for the wind.

So who needs a self aiming gun?

One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

ecoexplorer

franklinfarmer

Quote from: Xeyed on October 04, 2010, 01:41:01 AM

It's funny that Lockhead Martin won a government contract to provide a computerized solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Perhaps somebody just has too many resources at their disposal.  (Confiscated resources for which they did not work and are therefore freely able to waste, of course.)

A civilian doesn't need a self aiming gun.

They are not designed for civilians...but I count icebergs.
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

henschman

Of course, I don't NEED my ACOG's stadia lines and man sized target ranging reticle either, but it sure does make ranging and compensating for trajectory on unknown distance targets much quicker and easier.  I would love to have a programmable scope with integrated rangefinder, wind meter, and barometer that instantly gave an aiming point on a target.  Of course, like you are all saying, it wouldn't make up for a lack of fundamentals... the aiming point can be as precisely-calculated as you want, but if you don't have the ability to actually put that bullet on that aiming point downrange, it won't be much help. 

Of course, even with equipment like that, you still ought to know how to make the same calculations yourself if needed, and of course you should still stay proficient in the use of your iron sights for when your equipment fails.  I would say with a rig like that, it is definitely a matter of when, not if, it will fail in the field. 
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

Pappy

SOM - SOM, not sure but dont`t sound Appleseed Project two me... Pappy
Which has greater value?...... Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo..

TaosGlock

ecoexplorer, as you know this is a typical hardware solution to a software problem.  ;)

You know, like those first time newbies who show up an an AS with a blinged out AR. %)
Folks need to dump the junk and learn to shoot in the tradition of a Rifleman. Rack grade rifle and a handful of NATO spec ammo.
Join up as an AS Instructor today and help us spread the good word. O0
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

SkyHawk

So who needs a self aiming gun?

They probably see a draft coming and figure spending a huge amount of your tax $'s will be needed to outfit the non-professional soldier.
"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for"  Thomas Jefferson

PHenry

Anything that runs on batteries can and will fail - most often at the worst possible moment. I do not run on batteries.  :cool2:
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

NHale

SOM-SOMing

Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

PHenry

After some thought - I will have to agree with Pappy - SOM SOM. Let this go, at least here, and let's git back to the mission to pass on the traditions. Whilst I do love to count icebergs - it's not very productive. I do not mean to be abrasive or condescending in any way - just to keep us focused on something we actually have some control over.
PH
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Boba Fett

This is no big news. Barret already has a system that does this (BORS).  See here: http://www.barrett.net/optics/bors