News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Albuquerque, New Mexico SAND-SEED 20-21 November 2010

Started by nmmi9100, November 21, 2010, 09:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nmmi9100

Well, this evening we closed out another successful Appleseed at the Albuquerque City Range.  We had 20 determined Americans ranging from 5 years  old to 60+ that got off the couch on Saturday and made it to the shoot.  We were blessed with 12 particularly hardy souls that made it back on Sunday.  We finished Sunday with 6 shooters, several having to leave mid day due to prior commitments...and brutal winds.

The City Range always draws good attendance and for the weekend before Thanksgiving, this was no exception.  Due to the City ranges time restraints (8:30  gate open, 5:00 everyone out), we started pulling triggers at 10:03am on Saturday and as a result of our shooter's perseverance we finished all the points of instruction, 3 strikes, and shot one AQT on Saturday.  Sunday was a challenge with brutal winds all day long that just got worse as time went on.  LOTS of malfunctions due to sand-filled actions on Sunday.

We had 3 new IITs at this shoot and they all performed in an exemplary fashion!  What made this shoot a real treat was the EXCELLENT quality of students that got off the couch and showed up.  They were determined, safe, and highly attentive.  On behalf of our instructor crew, I would like to give a hearty thanks to all of them for their attention.

We had 3 rifleman this shoot, two of which shot their rifleman score on the first AQT on Saturday afternoon in the wind.  One of the Saturday riflemen backed up her score on Sunday...in absolutely BRUTAL blowing sand.  All three Riflemen had attended previous shoots and ALL THREE took the Orange hat!  They're all excited to grab a bucket and start bailing.  We also had a number of shooters that were doing very well and given a little time for their skills to sink in  and some calmer conditions, I'm sure they'll be joining the ranks of riflemen in the near future.
Once again, thanks to all the shooters that took away from their weekend to get off the couch, the instructor corps that was willing to come teach, and the Albuquerque City Range for providing the venue!

Now here are some pictures:

Students captivated by Devnull's 1st Strike on Saturday morning:

Stationary targets...a sight that would not be seen on Saturday PM or Sunday all day:

All Ready on the firing line.....FIRE!!!!  Note foreground idea for muzzle control with a 5 year old shooter.

Eric, our good sport 1st AQT Rifleman who shot a 211 and got wet for his trouble...GREAT JOB!

Ursula, also a 1st AQT Rifleman who laid down a 215 and avoided the ice water!  AWESOME!

Gavin, our Sunday Morning  Rifleman...he shot a 212 and avoided his father Eric's fate!  CONGRATULATIONS!

Bob and his mat/sandbox....note sand on leeward side of rifle...accumulated between two stages of the AQT!

SCAR 16S-wielding student receives coaching from Tom, one of our new IITs...

Instructors and students, down in the sand and dirt together...continuing a heritage of Marksmanship!

Tim coaching Bob, both braving the blowing sand...

And a magwell full of sand....

Braving the sandstorm...

Flash Photography + Sandstorm =  Sparkles...

Our new IIT crew takes the Orange Hat!  Ursula, Chris (SB), Gavin, and Eric.

HUZZAH!!!  From the students and staff that finished out the shoot on Sunday.

TaosGlock

Wow, that was a sick amount of blowing sand.  >:D   Oh well, just a typical breezy day in NM and it does not stop a Rifleman!  :---
Congrats to all the new Rifleman and those who took the Orange hat. Welcome aboard! Hope to meet you all soon!
Way to go all you shooters for persisting in those conditions!
Great job NM Instructors! O0

...so a 211 gets the Rifleman's dousing? You guys are raising the bar! :~ :~
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

JustJeff

Quote from: TaosGlock on November 21, 2010, 09:52:50 PM
...so a 211 gets the Rifleman's dousing? You guys are raising the bar! :~ :~

Heck Jimi douses ya if you shoot below a 220......

Looks like you guys had a typical desert Seed, and it looks like everyone had a bunch of fun.
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

SamD

And no doubt you will all be pestering Fred to come up with "SandSeed" patch or the like  ++)

JustJeff

Quote from: SamD on November 21, 2010, 10:14:52 PM
And no doubt you will all be pestering Fred to come up with "SandSeed" patch or the like  ++)
O0 ;D
Your version of "ineffective" does not necessarily reflect the truth....
Having been "ineffectively" taught to the Rifleman Standard and having been "ineffectively" taught to teach others to the Rifleman Standard, I believe I prefer the "ineffective" over the other choice.

Old Glory!

LOOK at all those orange hats!  Thanks for stepping up, ALL. 

Good to see that full line, despite the blowing sand.  Sandseed!    8)

Good work NM.
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

oladcock

Good going and congrats to all the Rifleman! No...No sandseed, call it a cactus patch! :)...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

al smith

I for one am prouto be a neighbor to New Mexico.  I sleep better at night knowing there are so many folks helping to bail and save this great country.

I like the idea of a  SandySeed patch.  Has Nice ring to it.  Or maybe SilicaSeed.  You never know where you will be or what adversities you will need to overcome...

HooRah for New Mexico!!!

al smith
al smith

Devnull

Quote from: al smith on November 22, 2010, 05:03:09 PM
I for one am prouto be a neighbor to New Mexico.  I sleep better at night knowing there are so many folks helping to bail and save this great country.

I like the idea of a  SandySeed patch.  Has Nice ring to it.  Or maybe SilicaSeed.  You never know where you will be or what adversities you will need to overcome...

HooRah for New Mexico!!!

al smith

Al, were proud to have folks like you just up north of us. It makes Colorado seem a little less foreboding for us riflemen!  ;) We need to get you to come down this way sometime bud and give us a hand. It would be great to see you again.

I thought we already had a SandySeed patch? (Desert tan? Kinda looks like a rifleman's patch was left out in the sand storm.)  **)
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

BlueFeather

Wow! WTG.

I remember Ursula from an earlier Albq AS... congratulations all of you!

I have a fantastic shoot to work at Ursula... we are having a Ladyseed in Las Cruces Dec 11-12.  Please spread the word to both students and instructors.

/BlueFeather
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

Shooter

Just have to say I had a FANTASTIC time this Saturday, wind or not.  To see improvement with just one more tool in my bag was soooo encouraging - much less multiple tools.  I think what puts Appleseed over the edge is the history... reminding me of what our forefathers did so we could live free and independently; came away loving my country even more!
Thanks for all the help from the instructors - couldn't do it without you!  I have a looong way to go, but find this very encouraging, motivating and exciting!
Elaine

nmmi9100

Gideon

What a great group of shooters. I wish I could have been there. You are all heros in my book!  :bow:

I like the idea of the tan Rifleman's patch representing the SandSeed.  O0

Congratulations ton the new Rifleman and IIT's!

Gideon