News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Texas Leadership Meeting/Weekend

Started by Scout, September 30, 2010, 09:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout

Hey guys,

I want to start planning for the Texas Leadership Conference. This will be a conference to determine who will be holding the leadership positions in Texas and get input from all of the Texas Instructors and members on the way we should be running the Texas program.  I would like to do it in an informal way like the last meeting we had at Bastrop, but get more of the coming years work done at this meeting.

We have quite a few leadership positions which need to be filled, and also quite a few tasks that need immediate attention. I would like to have this meeting open to all Texas Instructors and their families, and also to all members and prospective members and their families who would like to attend.

Kirk, I will get with you and Aaron this next week during the conference call and we can consolidate an invitation list from our mailing and member list. It can also go in the texas Newsletter for a while until we have it.

Lauren, as far as a location, I do not know if we can have it at Bastrop again as this meeting will hopefully be much larger. Davilla is a central location that we can have access to at any time we choose for no charge, but I am open to any and all locations.

If it were to be in Davilla, I was thinking we could meet for the weekend on a Saturday and those who wanted could stay and camp for the weekend and we could have a campfire, an outdoor movie etc. I would be willing to provide a main meal for the weekend on Saturday and also to provide and cook coffee, hot cakes, biscuits and gravy and bacon on Sunday for the crew. We could take the kids pickup truck spotlighting on Saturday night and get some rabbits they could take home for the pot. Maybe get some of the guys to shoot some hogs to take home on Saturday evening or Sunday morning too. 

I was also hoping to ad in some additional projects for this meeting. I was wondering what you guys thought about maybe adding in a swap/barter evening or morning during the meet. I have tons of stuff I no longer need. All the way from several pairs of combat boots in many small/women young man sizes to new bluejeans, knives, tools, brass for reloading, rifles, survival gear etc. etc. Many of us have trash we would like to trade for treasure and this would be a good place and time to do that. Bartering or swapping means no (or little) cash has to be passed from one hand to the other and you get new stuff for your old stuff.

Let us discuss this and get it set up. I imagine it will have to be in the end of winter or spring because of the Project 1000 taking every single weekend between now and then, so let us figure this out and make plans.

Scout
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

voortrekker

If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

CaptG

"If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Winston Churchill

spitstickler

Sounds good. I like camping where there just happens to be a rifle range right next door.

(And Scout, if you have a hog problem, I consider it my duty to help remediate the situation :cool2:  )
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Baminal

I'm with SS, camping next to a range ranks pretty high to me O0

Lets set a date so we can all check calendars.

I'm also thinking if you have hogs, and a fire, the main meal issue is solved. :---
The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.  It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference and undernourishment.
Robert Maynard Hutchins, Educator (1899-1977)

Love you liberty and fight for it like men who know its value.  Once lost, it will never, never be regained.
Capt. Hugh Ledlie (1720-1798)

alonso1

Looking at the Instructor schedule, the only weekends left in the year without a Texas shoot are; Oct. 9-10, Oct. 30-31 and Nov.6-7.

The only one good for me is Nov. 6-7.

I did not check these dates to see if any Texas Instructors would be instructing out of town.  As always, I guess you will just have to pick a weekend and whoever can make it will be there.

starfox

I propose we have the Leadership conference in February, around the swimming hole, bring your bathing suits!   **)

No, really, this a great idea.  Outdoor venues might pose a bit of a problem for the later part of the year, and early next year.  Perhaps Doublell can finagle (it's a word, look it up) a heated location, or we could just tough it out in Davilla. 

There are several things we might want discuss:

1. IBCs, more of them, making them requirements for Red Hat, Mark's make-him-look-fat pants.   ;D
2. Shoot Boss IBCs or similar training.
3. Applecore (Blue Hat) training, which leads into...
4. Pilfering good ideas from other states  (Shoot Boss supply, Blue Hat volunteers, Orange-Hat-4-Life, etc)
5. Texas organizational goals -  We need to be really looking at a year plus outlook.
6. Training on running a relay (let the cat out of the bag here).

I think it good if we have an two yearly meetings.  A strictly organizational/leadership conference, and a more social get together like the picnic. 

Just my 0.02 of a depreciating dollar.  YVMV (Your Value May Vary  **))
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

Reddot

Mark,
We're actually adding San Angelo on for 6-7 November (December 11-12, too). 
I think you're right; we'll have to pick a weekend and go for it--see who turns out.  Going to be even tougher next year with Project 2000.....we need more weekends in the year ???

Quote from: alonso1 on October 01, 2010, 01:19:36 AM
Looking at the Instructor schedule, the only weekends left in the year without a Texas shoot are; Oct. 9-10, Oct. 30-31 and Nov.6-7.

The only one good for me is Nov. 6-7.

I did not check these dates to see if any Texas Instructors would be instructing out of town.  As always, I guess you will just have to pick a weekend and whoever can make it will be there.

dragit

I am in.  I will send daughters to represent me if I can not make it.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

scuzzy

Sounds good. Will see you in DFW this weekend. We can talk about it then.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Grumpy

Bacon, bisquits n gravy, hog hunting, Appleseed, I'm in. ..:..
Turn off the X-box and focus on the X-ring.

doubleLL

I suggest hosting the conference in 2011. We can start off the year with a plan and can set dates since our schedule is open. The first weekend after New Years is Jan. 8-9th, since the weather will be cold. Perhaps we could have the conference at our range in College Station. I heard through the other instructors that the range is really nice with a fantastic bunk house!!   O0   Plus we could help out with any range improvements..
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

James E

If y'all would accept the input from a (hopefully not for long) out-of stater, Wurstfest in New Braunfells is Oct. 29 thru Nov. 7.  Wouldn't be the "wurst" time or place to meet.

James E

POP

Folks,
Fredericksburg is planning the Spring RBC.
We wanted to do one this Fall but, it was too late to reschedule the Davilla RBC.  So, Scout suggested an FBG RBC for this Spring.  This event is not on the schedule yet, just in the planning stages, pending approval.

Here's the deal:
Where:  Welge's Ranch, approximately 45 minutes West of FBG.  I have reviewed this range, it is perfect.  4,000 acres of Texas Hills.  The one we will use for a target berm was used ~5 years ago for the re-enactment of Iwo Jima.  They had over 3,000 attendees.  Mr. Welge is looking forward to hosting this event.
When:  Proposed March 20 thru March 25.

We could have our meeting there during the week, or at Fritz' range during the weekend event.
And, yes, Starfox, you can wear your bathing suit while calling the line, after which, you may swim in the stock pond.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

Scout

I think we will have to make it in 2011 for the whole tribe to gather. We can do some smaller get togethers between now and then to make sure the time we have at the 2011 meeting is used to its fullest.

Pop- any RBC planning has to come through the planning committee before it can be considered. Make sure you bring it to the committtee before you tell anyone at a host location it is being considered. Any events the range wants to put on at their location are good to go, but any RBCs, IBCs or special events have to be approved first. After my last discussion with the folks in FRB we had decided to have a summer RBC to be able to get all of the High School and College kids involved. I think a March RBC right after the Feb. RBC will be a bit much for us to handle with current staffing.

Also, I want to make sure everyone understands that we never worry about any two three four five or six locations having events on the same weekend in Texas. Unless there is a special consideration we never close out a date because of another range having an event on the same dates. If it looks iffy to you, take it to staffing and planning and have them clear up any worries about it, but we will be doing multiple events on almost every weekend in the coming year, so I want to make sure this does not stop anyone from plugging in dates for ranges.

BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

zonkertx

I'm in, haven't voted in the poll thread yet because I don't have a particular preference.

AlarmList76

Just need to know what the options are for dates.  I will see if I can find this poll location.

Bill

Texas Rifleman

...when the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
Davilla - 5/09

Baminal

Has the location been determined yet or will that depend on what weekend?
The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.  It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference and undernourishment.
Robert Maynard Hutchins, Educator (1899-1977)

Love you liberty and fight for it like men who know its value.  Once lost, it will never, never be regained.
Capt. Hugh Ledlie (1720-1798)