News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed article in The Pitch is out

Started by SebalLudington, September 28, 2010, 09:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFTERMATH

QuoteI personally would not have thought your saying this could be turned into this kind of seeming accusation: "The group does not run background checks on its participants."
Accusation?  That means we're open-minded and accepting of people with different values than ours!  @)

QuoteBut let us turn away a nervous-guy in mid-eastern clothing with stuff strapped under his cloak as he speaks rapidly with a thick accent - and we're guilty of the worst kind of prejudicial racial/cultural/ethnic profiling.
Well, when that poor mid-eastern immigrant comes to an Appleseed to immerse himself in the American experience, after reading the NYT article; chances are he's gonna be a little bit nervous.  (Heck, weren't we all a bit nervous at our first Seed? #) For various reasons, I'd bet Fred was even a bit nervous! )  That stuff packed under his cloak is surely a body 'resistant' vest; just in case the NYT is right about us.

Quote from: MamaBear on September 30, 2010, 01:06:52 PM
Quote from: mikaldulee on September 30, 2010, 10:57:28 AM

Mamabear gives one of the most touching 2nd strikes I have ever heard.  I usually have to act like I'm digging around for something to hide the...um...stuff that gets in my eyes.

Awww, shucks, Mike!  I'm gettin' all red in the face over here!  :-[  Thank you very much  :)

Mamabear; you're gonna have to ask Cookie Lady where she got the eagle from...  That way Mike won't be able to look down.  And every body can see the tears gushing from his tear ducts. :'( 

O0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

mikaldulee

I don't cry.

It's just my agent orange gets to acting up... ;)

air

Interesting article, but it still sounds like the Appleseed project is from a fringe group. 50 years ago, this program might have been presented to a men's Sunday School group and no one would have batted an eye. Why should it be so now when the U.S. Constitution has not been changed? When did respecting the things that brought this country to life become POLITICALLY INCORRECT???

I had a GREAT time learning the details of the three strikes, and accessing my own complacent ways. I've started paying attention to what's actually going on in my country instead of leaving it to the "gentry". I've called friends all over the country and told them of Appleseed. I've talked to gun shop owners whenever I can about Appleseed. I'm toting flyers in my shooting bag and handing them out when an opportunity arises. All because of the exceptional efforts of the women and man-slaves at the Humansville Ladyseed.

I care again, thanks to them.

Air
3 motorcycles, 18 guitars, 8 guns (had to get a 10/22 for Appleseed O0)

PHenry

air,
In the land of liars, telling the truth is a radical act. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

The mere fact that what we are doing is now seen as "controversial", stands as clear evidence that our country has lost its way. The traditions of the Founders (limited gov, self-reliance, public virtue, frugality, hard work, etc.) resulted in the freest and most prosperous nation the world will ever know. This is fact. As we have strayed from these ideals, we are losing our prosperity and our Freedoms - again, fact.

When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest. THe most troubling part is that We the People have only ourselves to blame, for we have allowed this course change over time.

The only chance American has is for a great number of people to get involved in the system of government handed down to us by the Founders right now, and work to make a change, back to the ideals and traditions of the men and women who created America 234 years ago. I see no better way of doing that than Appleseeds.

People fear what they do not understand. Disrespect is a knee-jerk reaction to fear and ignorance. It is incumbent upon us to turn the other cheek and persist in our mission to save America - to run clean and true until our adversaries become our allies out of sheer awe of our goodness. Not an easy row to hoe, but can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Gramma Goats

PHenery-- is THIS your own words

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest."  I would love to use it on my sig line for awhile and give you credit.... or if they are borrowed words do you know who said them.

This is POWERFUL and ON TARGET.

GG
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Cookie Lady

Air -

Thanks so much for posting your take on that weekend. This is why I Appleseed.

I look forward to seeing you on the line again!

Cookie Lady

SebalLudington

I had a co-worker ask me today if I had seen the article in The Pitch. She knew I had been to some Appleseeds. I told her yeah, I read the first couple pages, then figured out whoever wrote it was pretty inexperienced. If you compare it with the other article written about the same LadySeed by the more experienced reporter Becky Groff, the difference is very apparent. While Becky makes hers a report about the LadySeed. The inexperienced reporter seems to think that by writing an article showcasing her clever "wit", rather than the actual story, she shows her writing ability. She mentions her editor removed parts of her story, hmm. I've been to more than one Appleseed, and I don't think I've seen folks looking like they were ready for naps. Usually they are riveted. It's interesting what she chose to leave out, as well as what she chose to put in. I've been at a shoot with MamaBear, I adore her, she is very helpful, and very knowledgeable. But I'm blessed, every shoot I've been at has had wonderful, patient instructors. Yet, she mentions nothing about how her scores improved, if she even shot. What did she learn, if anything? Can she learn? Probably not, she didn't come to learn. I sent my co-worker the link to the better story, told her about appleseed, and she and another co-worker who was listening in are now interested in coming with me to the next one! Now for the punch line, the co-worker that asked me about the story, after I finished telling them what Appleseed is REALLY like, and made my assertion again, the reporter is inexperience, turns out my co-worker has met her. She said "SHE IS! She is a city girl, doesn't know anything about the country, or guns, and is pretty inexperienced". Hope MamaBear is at that shoot too, because they haven't met her, but for some reason, they now think she is too cool. I wonder, on the first page of the story, she refers to an "old goat farm", where does Grandma Goat keep her young goats? :cool2:

Gramma Goats

hahahahah ....  made me laugh right out load.  The OLD GOAT sleeps in the master bedroom.  All the YOUNG goats did sleep in the barn.. but they have all been sold. No more goats in the barn  :(

Personally i did not find her 'wit' at all 'clever'.  I found her to be rude, insensitive, inappreciative, unobservant and shallow.  Yes, i realize she may be reading this.... that changes nothing i say... i would have no problems stating this to her face, facts are facts.  I think she came looking for a HOT STORY and found  strong Americans with character and principle and she just did not know what to do with THAT.

MamaBear would have gotten a rousing applause regardless of what Dinky had to say.... she gave a heartfelt lesson in history... but one has to have a heart turned toward the foundation of this country to hear it.  Not everyone has the stars and strips flying on the highest hill in their heart.  Not everyone's chest swells at the sound of the Stars Spangled Banner, not everyone is appreciative of the blood that was shed so we may walk this land as free men and women. But i dare say.... the day will come when many of those that are shallow of heart and small of mind will begin to feel the loss, and for them, it may be to late.

Quote from: SebalLudington on October 06, 2010, 01:13:20 AM
I had a co-worker ask me today if I had seen the article in The Pitch. She knew I had been to some Appleseeds. I told her yeah, I read the first couple pages, then figured out whoever wrote it was pretty inexperienced. If you compare it with the other article written about the same LadySeed by the more experienced reporter Becky Groff, the difference is very apparent. While Becky makes hers a report about the LadySeed. The inexperienced reporter seems to think that by writing an article showcasing her clever "wit", rather than the actual story, she shows her writing ability. She mentions her editor removed parts of her story, hmm. I've been to more than one Appleseed, and I don't think I've seen folks looking like they were ready for naps. Usually they are riveted. It's interesting what she chose to leave out, as well as what she chose to put in. I've been at a shoot with MamaBear, I adore her, she is very helpful, and very knowledgeable. But I'm blessed, every shoot I've been at has had wonderful, patient instructors. Yet, she mentions nothing about how her scores improved, if she even shot. What did she learn, if anything? Can she learn? Probably not, she didn't come to learn. I sent my co-worker the link to the better story, told her about appleseed, and she and another co-worker who was listening in are now interested in coming with me to the next one! Now for the punch line, the co-worker that asked me about the story, after I finished telling them what Appleseed is REALLY like, and made my assertion again, the reporter is inexperience, turns out my co-worker has met her. She said "SHE IS! She is a city girl, doesn't know anything about the country, or guns, and is pretty inexperienced". Hope MamaBear is at that shoot too, because they haven't met her, but for some reason, they now think she is too cool. I wonder, on the first page of the story, she refers to an "old goat farm", where does Grandma Goat keep her young goats? :cool2:
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

mikaldulee

Heck, I would never call Dinky a linebacker...and I've been in combat.

SebalLudington

Oh Gramma Goat, we have GOT to meet one of these days! I'm applauding you after reading that.  ^:)^You are so "on target". I've never met the girl, but met a lot like her, sense of entitlement. No appreciation for what has been sacrificed for her, thinks it is her due. Proof you say? How about the attitude displayed when ALL the instructors there were there on their own time, no pay, to help others. But I guess when the paper is question is best used for people who are paper training puppies, they have to get "help" where they can. Newspapers hire people like Becky Groff.

cmidkiff

Gramma Goats and Sebal Ludington:  I've been trying to get the two of you together for some time now!  Sebal, come on down to the Humansville shoot next month, it's only an hour or so from your place, can't be any further than the Bates City shoots you've been making.

SebalLudington

The Nov 13 & 14? It's about twice, not quite as far I think, but am still seriously considering it now. Greybeard, I have a hunch you are right on the money! I really want to meet Gramma Goat in person now! ;D