News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Fredericksburg, TX, Sept 25-26, 2010

Started by myosin, September 27, 2010, 02:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myosin

Thanks to the all the great instructors that made this past weekend in Fredericksburg a huge success.  I heard about Appleseed on KTMTALK.com.

KTMTALK.com is a online dirtbike forum with over 100,000 members. I am a moderator on the site.

I just copied what I posted on KTMTALK on the Appleseed forums. I am getting the word out about Appleseed.

[SIZE=14]http://www.appleseedinfo.org/[/SIZE]

Welcome to the Appleseed Project

What the RWVA (Revolutionary War Veterans Association) is all about:

History and Heritage

The Appleseed Project is a 501©(3) non-profit organization dedicated to teaching every American our shared heritage and history as well as traditional rifle marksmanship skills.  Our volunteer instructors travel across the country teaching those who attend about the difficult choices, the heroic actions, and the sacrifices that the Founders made on behalf of modern Americans, all of whom are their "progeny."

Our heritage program vividly portrays the Battles of Lexington and Concord with the kind of care and immediacy that is absent from most formal schooling. Modern listeners are confronted with the danger, the fear, and the heartbreaking separations that arose out of the choices made on April 19th, 1775. They are also reminded of the marksmanship skills and masterful organization that ultimately helped set the colonists on the path to success. Those who attend gain a better understanding of the fundamental choices faced by our ancestors as they began to set the stage for the nation we now enjoy.

Marksmanship Clinic

Our rifle marksmanship program complements our history and heritage.  We teach the traditional American marksmanship skills.  There are, however, several aspects of our marksmanship program that deserve special mention.   We are particularly proud of our younger attendees.   In accordance with applicable local laws, young people with sufficient maturity are welcome to the Appleseed line and can, with parental permission, join the cadre.  We also recognize the racist origins of the gun control movement and take special pride in welcoming those who have suffered unjustly in that regard, as well as encouraging women to learn to shoot by making their participation, and that of children, free.  Finally, an important aspect of our marksmanship program is called "Adaptive Appleseed." The Appleseed Project is serious about bringing our heritage and marksmanship instruction to everyone so we've committed ourselves to adapting Appleseed to the special needs of those who have certain physical challenges.   

Why teach marksmanship?  Because good shooting requires learning positive traits such as patience, determination, focus, attention to detail, and persistence.   Since these skills are likewise key elements of mature participation in civic activities, we urge our students to take what they have learned about themselves as marksmen and apply it to their participation in their communities and in the wider American society in accordance with their own choices about how Americans should govern themselves.

Civic Involvement

There are those who feel that America's future is grim, that is, that America has lost something special and it can never be regained.   And in their consternation they mutter about "dark choices" and the like.  Appleseed has a message for them.   Just over two hundred years ago our ancestors genuinely faced a tough choice.  They could submit to those they felt were depriving them of their rights as Englishmen or they could fight.  Because they chose as they did, we may never have to face their dilemma because we have a third alternative.

So what must you do with your third choice?  Well, you must roll out of the recliner, cut off the computer, turn down the TV and get involved.  That's it.  Talk to family, talk to friends, interact with neighbors, take part in local community decisions, and become active in whatever political party best fits your idea of how America should be governed.  Write to your elected representative, attend town halls, correspond with newspaper editors, and wholeheartedly enter the discussion in both online and traditional forums.

Read!  Think!  Debate!  Vote!  And finally, we'd really like your help in shaping America's bright future by participating in this program as a student, as an instructor, or as a volunteer in other support roles.  But even if you never pick up a rifle again, know that you are everything that the Appleseed Project works for.  You are an involved, committed American making responsible use of the liberties gifted to us so long ago.  The future is what we make -- YOU make -- of it.

My Appleseed shooting weekend.

I am brand new to shooting. I got a .22lr rifle a couple of months ago and have only shot it at an indoor range.

A buddy of mine wanted to get into shooting.

So we signed up for Appleseed. I was traveling from Houston with my 4 year old daughter. I dropped my daughter off in Austin with my Sister and my friend picked me up and we were off to Fredericksburg.

My buddy Milan just bought a Ruger 10-22 from Academy last month and had only shot it a couple of times. I had a S&W M&P 15 22.

We were both going to shoot this weekend iron sights. I had bought a GI sling , but somehow how it went missing in the house. (wife must have been cleaning up my office).

Milan and I got to the event and got set up. Signed waivers, handed in tickets and paid small range fee.

Then the weekend started with the Lead Instructors (wearing red hats) and the instructors in training (orange hats) going over SAFETY. Then again over Safety and again over Safety. During the course, all of the red hats and orange hats made the firing line and the entire weekend extremely safe. Anytime the class was near the firing line there was a minimum of 3 instructors watching only for safety issues. The other instructors were going to each person and offering advice. After we shot, students cleared their rifles, took out the magazines, inserted a plastic flag into the camber of the gun to visually show there was no bullet in the chamber. Plus, the instructors checked EVERY gun to make sure the safety was on. Then the students who were 10 feet behind the firing line were able to go go downrange and look at their targets. All the while at least three instructors were focused on the rifles laying on the ground.

I must say I was VERY impressed with how professional and serious the instructors were about safety.

Now to the good stuff.

Saturday we were give A LOT of instructions and demonstrations on proper stance standing, sitting, and laying prone. Furthermore, we were showed multiple ways to utilize a sling to make the rifle more secure and stable.

The instructors went over the sequence of events that need to take place in order to take a successful, repeatable , and well aimed shots.

The instructors were very good at delivering QUALITY information in a professional manner.

Me in my tactical attire.

I learned a lot in a short amount of time. I need to work on my breathing and shooting at my respiratory pause. I need to work on where I place my finger on the trigger when I pull it. I was jerking the rifle with my trigger pull. I need to follow through with my shot. I would pull the trigger then immediately release. I need to work on not chasing the front sights----ie watching the front sights sway back and forth and when the front sight is on target pull the trigger.

I did not adjust my iron sights on Saturday because I did not know if it was me or the gun when my shots were off. First time to shoot the .22lr other then at an indoor range.

Me and my buddies guns.

My cool S&W

From left to right: Me, Milan and "Pops"

My buddy Milan

Special thanks to Alonzo for letting me and Milan borrow proper slings.

We broke for lunch and ate under a pavilion. We got treated to great history lessons from the red hats and orange hats. I've sat through so many classes in undergrad and professional school that I easily tell if an instructor is prepared and passionate about what they are talking about. Both the lead and junior instructors were great in their teachings. There was no fumbling of words. These guys knew their history and were passionate about it.

After lunch we went back to the range.

My buddy Milan was having major problems on his gun. He was way off so an instructor helped him try to get his iron sight working correctly. Well the front sight of his brand new Ruger did not want to budge. Milan would just have to do his best.

There was a chance of rain all weekend. Saturday afternoon it was HOT. I was drinking water every break from shooting we got. I looked goofy in my shorts and knee pads but even in the heat I was pretty comfortable.

Long day, got done around 6:00

We went back the motel, showered and went out to get some German food. Fredericksburg is an old German town.

After dinner we went to Wal-mart as I forgot my contact cleaner solution. Milan ended up buying and inexpensive scope because he was having troubles with his iron sights.

Milan is an engineer, he does not need any stinking instructions.

Me cleaning my rifle.

Day two

A little less instruction today. Just reinforcement of what we learned yesterday. Lots of shooting but still enough demonstrations and talking about proper form.

Milan's wal-mart special scope was WAY off. An instructor helped him get the scope zeroed in. It was an Appleseed record, the scope was over two hundread clicks off!!

We broke for lunch, another history lesson from the instructors.

Then more AQT tests.

The AQT (Army Qualification Test) is pretty fun and a timed event.

All our targets were 25 meters out. The size of the targets were scaled down to represent targets at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards.

The first round is standing, 10 rounds to the 100 yard target in two minutes.

Second round starts standing with magazine out, safety on and transitioning to seated. Where you put in one mag with two rounds. Then take out mag and insert a new mag with 8 rounds. The target on the left gets 5 shots and the target on the left gets 5 shots. This is done in 55 seconds.

Third round starts standing with magazine out, safety on and transitioning to prone. There are three targets at simulated 300 yards. First target gets three shots, next target gets 3 shots and third target gets 4 shots. The two magazines are prepped like before. Two rounds in first mag then eight rounds in second mag.
Time for this round is 65 seconds.

Fourth round is 5 minutes. 10 rounds in a magazine, prone and shooting at 4 targets simulating 400 yards. Two rounds at the first and second target. Then three rounds at the last two targets.

Here is my 100 yards standing.

200 yards sitting.

300 yards prone with 400 yards prone at the bottom.

This was my best AQT. I scored a 170 and JUST BARELY got  Sharpshooter status. I am going to be back after I do training with what I learned and go for my "Rifleman" Patch.

Milan and I left early Sunday as we needed to get back to Austin and I wanted to get on the road with my daughter so it would not be too late when we rolled into Houston.

I am very proud of how I progressed with the excellent instruction of the RWVA instructors. I am proud of my middle 300 yard target where I got two shots into the v-ring. The shots were almost in the same exact spot.

One thing a instructor said while we were downrange that I really liked was (this is a paraphrase) "right now you guys are trying to do everything right and HOPING you get on target. If you do and follow the steps we have taught you, you will KNOW your shots are on target."

All in all what a great way to spend the weekend.

I highly encourage new shooters to look at taking a weekend class from RWVA/Appleseed project Even experienced shooters can learn and have fun at the event.

There were no egos at the event. All the instructors were genuinely there to help.

I'll be back, hold onto my rifleman's patch for me.

myosin

Opps. Looks like I can't edit.

I fogot to add something:

One thing a instructor said while we were downrange that I really liked was (this is a paraphrase) "right now you guys are trying to do everything right and HOPING you get on target. If you do and follow the steps we have taught you, you will KNOW your shots are on target."

I am going to practice so in the future I KNOW my shots will be on target. No hoping they will be on target.

Reddot

Myosin,
Glad you had a good weekend; your quote here is key, keep dry firing, practice your transitions and you will get that patch.  Remember, a Rifleman persists!   O0 Look forward to seeing you on the line soon.

Quote from: myosin on September 27, 2010, 02:26:48 PM
Opps. Looks like I can't edit.

I fogot to add something:

I am going to practice so in the future I KNOW my shots will be on target. No hoping they will be on target.

POP

A great introduction and testament to Appleseed, and to the fine work from the folks in Fredericksburg.

Suggest we rename this thread AAR Fredericksburg, Sep 25-26, 2010.
Hope that's OK with you, dragit.

Thanks for the good write up, myosin.  We'll see you on the trail again.

POP

3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

dragit

No problem with me, I was just getting it started.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

myosin

Also, going to spread the Appleseed word October 4th. I send out a monthly newsletter to all my patients we have emails for. I usually do a little write up of what the office is up to, or what my family is up two followed by several dental topics. Well October's newsletter is going to be talking about and encouraging people to sign up for an Appleseed Event!!!  ^:)^

zonkertx

I didn't get many photos, but here they are:

Same pictures, but full-size versions are available by clicking on the thumbnails:
http://www.ebfulton.com/appleseed/FBG_9-25/

POP

Thanks for posting more pics, zonkertx.

Way to go Gordon Gipson of KNS Precision fame.  I know Dianne and the kids are proud of Dad.
And, Congrats to Jerry Farley and Mark Church.  These three men earned their Rifleman patches.

Those of you who came close and, those of you who will make it ... just keep on dry firing until the next event.  I look forward to seeing you sporting your own patch.

BTW, for more detailed instruction in the fine art of firing in the way of the colonial rifleman, ya'll come to the November Davilla Rifleman Boot Camp.  A week long intensive in All things Appleseed including the KD (known distance) range.  This year will be the best yet.

Great to see Curt Littman, Scoutmaster, and the Boy Scouts from Troop 351 on the firing line.  Out of ~30 shooters on the line Saturday morning about half that number were YOUTH.   O0  I was quite pleased to see all these young people learning about our country's heritage.  After all, these youngsters ARE our future.  If we don't show'em what America is all about, they'll learn from somewhere what America isn't all about.  Thanks, parents, for bringing these young folks out.

Thanks again to the folks in FBG for hosting this great weekend Appleseed ...
The Fritzs, owners of Texas Hills Sporting Range, Inc.
Tonya Benson and Hoppe Hopkins & Angela and Ron Smith and a host of other FBG folks for the superb job setting up the range for the weekend.

All for now.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

LabRat

Not much to add to such a good AAR other than a Rifleman persists. The rifleman patch just shows you've shot rifleman status, the change to Rifleman is forever and everyone there started down that road just by showing up.

Mike did a great job...very good attitude and enthusiasm all through the event. A lot of people hit 170ish and keep going, then all of a sudden, it all "comes together" and you punch through to 210 as the six steps, NPOA and everything else meshes inside the Rifleman to get you in the groove. Keep at it and we'll keep that patch ready and waiting for you!

A big congratulations to our new owners of rifleman patches, you earned them! Also good to see the fire of Liberty burning so brightly in Gillespie County.

Thanks much to Mark, POP, dragit, JS Rainman and last but certainly not least, zonker. Y'all really made it a great shoot for everyone there. A pleasure and an honor to work with you in bailing. Another big thank you to Angela, Ron, Hoppe and Tonya for being the point of the spear out in Fredericksburg. They did a fantastic job on the logistics of getting the range set up and getting the word out.

See you all on the trail.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.

Thomas Paine

Keepmvng

I want to thank everyone for a great weekend - A really great learning experience (both shooting and history).

As someone had noted, the amount of information you are trying to absorb is like drinking from a fire hose.

The importance of terms such as NPOA and cadence become clear while shooting the AQT. I have a lot to think about.

I plan to stay involved with Appleseed and hope to see all of you again soon.

Thanks,

Mark Church
Marksmanship is a perishable skill

duskhacker

Had a really great weekend guys. Thanks all again for your effort, I know it isn't easy.

A few days has me thinking about practice. Many of you know that your skill level dries up very quickly, within a matter of a few short weeks you've lost half of what you've gained. While I'm no stranger to dry-fire practice, and I get a lot of CQB type practice with IDPA and Carbine shoots, it's really good to have the feedback of the target going for you, especially at the beginning,

Unfortunately, no range I know of will allow one to do 3 position shooting, does anyone know of any around SA? So that has me thinking about air rifles. Airsoft is good for CQB practice, but I'm thinking not so great for the longer range, more accurate shooting needed for the AQT. So I started looking around for air rifles that might fit the bill and have come up woefully empty handed. There are plenty of single shot guns out there, as that is what a lot of competitions use, but there are only a couple of repeater options that I can see that won't break the bank. The Crosman 1077 and the Crosman NightStalker are the only two I can find that even begin to fit the bill. But the 1077 has crappy sights and no options for slings, I want peep sights and a sling! The night stalker has peep sights, but no sling option either.

What do you all think? Is there anything else out there that would be a good fit?

Also, I posted here, but is there a better place on this forum or elsewhere where this could go for better exposure?

Thanks!

DZ

dragit

Dietz range in New Braunfels allows 3 position shooting.  Sometimes you have to do it between concrete benches, but they have not hassled me about doing it.  Can not help you with air rifles, I use standard .22s.  Everett uses one though.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

Tourmeister

Quote from: myosin on September 27, 2010, 02:20:32 PM
Thanks to the all the great instructors that made this past weekend in Fredericksburg a huge success.  I heard about Appleseed on KTMTALK.com.

KTMTALK.com is a online dirtbike forum with over 100,000 members. I am a moderator on the site.

I just copied what I posted on KTMTALK on the Appleseed forums. I am getting the word out about Appleseed.

I just did my first Appleseed event this weekend over near College Station. Here is the site for the range: cccshooters.com.  I run the Two Wheeled Texans motorcycle forum and posted a detailed AAR thread there in the OT section. We only have just under 13K members, but they are predominantly in Texas obviously. So hopefully this will create more exposure here in Texas!

Here is the AAR for our weekend. One of my buds came over from North Austin for this event, but he's thinking of doing Fredericksburg for the next one or maybe Davilla.

There is a range on Hwy 60 West of College Station. It is on the South side of 60 just a mile or so past the intersection at Hwy 50. If you reach Snook, you've gone too far. The rifle range has benches, but I saw nothing that would prevent shooting prone under the benches. Shooting from sitting or kneeling might be a problem. The owners seem pretty reasonable so I bet if there were interest, they could arrange a place for shooting from multiple positions. I can't think of the name of the range though and I don't know if they have a website.
--
Scott Friday

Baminal

The range you are thinking of just west of College Station is called Gunsmoke, and thier website is:  http://gunsmokeshootingrange.com/

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush.  It will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference and undernourishment.
Robert Maynard Hutchins, Educator (1899-1977)

Love you liberty and fight for it like men who know its value.  Once lost, it will never, never be regained.
Capt. Hugh Ledlie (1720-1798)

Zephyr

I appreciate the write up and pictures. I was there also, on the right hand side of the line. Learned a lot: #1, need to exercise more, especially at holding the prone position (weak neck and back muscles); #2, become familar with my equipment...didn't learn til Sunday how to do a fast Ruger 10/22 magazine change, #3; check my equipment frequently: scope base worked loose and shots started going everywhere Sunday afternoon, #4, don't set up next to a 16" barrel .223, the blast was noticeable the first time we practiced; #5, it is addicting, I'm ready to do it again and make rifleman; #6, the instructors were great. They were patient, knowledgeable but very careful with range safety; #7, don't set up next to someone like me, they will shoot your target instead of theirs.

Had a little experience with a loaned military sling. It really stopped the movement of the barrel. I need one. Does anybody know a web store that carries ones like we used? Want to sell one of your extras? Will send cash.

Good shooting,
Robert

dragit

QuoteHad a little experience with a loaned military sling. It really stopped the movement of the barrel. I need one. Does anybody know a web store that carries ones like we used? Want to sell one of your extras? Will send cash.

Robert,

I will be at the next Freds. shoot Oct. 16-17.  I will have one for you.  $12.50 out the door.

Tommy