News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Reloading

Started by Texas Tim, September 20, 2010, 05:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Tim

Howdy!

I was at the recent Piru Appleseed shoot and overheard a few guys discussing reloading options and techniques. As a novice reloader I would love any advice or points in the right direction for 30-06 reloading for the M1 Garand as well as .308 Win reloading for a Model 70.

To make this as broad as possible, I'd be happy to see all types of caliber advice. Thanks everyone!

nmmi9100

To start out, be sure and go SINGLE STAGE.  Don't get a progressive to start with.  In fact, unless you need serious volume, you can do it all single stage.  I use a Redding T-7 turret press for convenience but I load everything single stage.  The T-7 just allows me to have all my dies setup ONCE and then I never have to reset them.  I load hundreds of rounds of 308 a month and I still load them all single stage on my T-7.

I strongly suggest you get the ABC's of reloading and READ IT ALL before you venture out into buying equipment.

http://www.amazon.com/Abcs-Reloading-Definitive-Novice-Expert/dp/0896896099/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285015087&sr=8-2

And then get a couple of manuals for the bullets you like to use, I suggest Sierra, Speer, and Hornady for good coverage...if only one, the Sierra Manual is the strongest manual out there in my opinion.  But it's best to have several manuals.

The ABC's of Reloading book favors LEE equipment which is on the budget end of stuff but it still works well.  I think the LEE Classic Cast is a fine single stage press.  And LEE dies are just fine too.  LEE also makes a fine primer seater.  But their powder measures and scales are junk.

If you buy all RCBS or Redding stuff, you won't be disappointed but if you are really on a budget, Lee will work fine with the aforementioned exceptions.  In my opinion, RCBS has the best warranty...it's about like Leupold's Warranty.  Short of a die body, they'll replace or repair darn near anything you break for free.

Plan on spending about $400-$500 to get setup very nicely to load single stage or with a turret press.  You won't really save money reloading, you'll just shoot A LOT MORE on your existing budget.  Buying in buk, including the brass, I can reload 308 for about $0.28/round for ACCURATE ball ammo.  About $0.34/round for 30/06 Garand ammo.  And it's consistent...non-corrosive...and tuned to my specific rifle.

So far as Garand ammo, limit your powder choices to something like H4895, IMR-4895, Varget, RL-15, IMR-4064 or some other medium speed burning powder.  If you read the Sierra manual, it has specific information in it regarding loading for GAS GUNS like the Garand.  Also, limit your bullet selection from 145 to 175 grains for the Garand.

Happy reloading!

-David
Edgewood, NM

ACP230

I have been using Lee equipment (mostly) since the last 1970s.  It works fine for me.
You can get starter kits with a lot of what you need from various catalogs and/or internet sites.

When I started reloading for rifles it was to shoot my M1 at NRA High Power matches. I read that 4895 was the orginal powder for M1 ammo, so bought some H4895 and have been using it ever since.  I had good luck with CCI LG Rifle primers and pulled Winchester 147 grain boattail bullets.  A mistake I made early on was not to trim my cases soon enough.  No harm was done but trimming wasn't something I should have overlooked.       

After you get a couple of regular loading manuals, look at the caliber specific "Loadbooks" sold by Midway and other sellers.  They have a lot of data in a small book.       

Old Dog

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

The Kid

I started reloading about 2 years ago.  It all began under the guidance of a fellow Instructor who has been reloading for well over 30 years. He allowed me to use his equipment when I first started out so I could get a feel for it all and figure out whether or not it was really for me.  I gained a lot of hands on experience and learned a lot about troubleshooting, which saved me a lot of time later, and just the logistics of it all.  I started out with a Lyman Kit from MidwayUSA and then added various parts and pieces that I needed. What I ended up learning, which I really wish I learned before hand, is that quality materials and tools will result in a lot less frustration and will make a sometimes frustrating job much easier.  Initially I decided to skimp out on quality dies and picked up a pair of the cheepest 30-06 dies I could find.  These were Lee dies, and I don't mean to hate on the company but those dies SUCK, no if ands or buts about it.  I eventually ended up moving on to RCBS dies which for the extra 10 dollars are well worth it.  From the quality of materials, the locking rings ( :bow: ), and the reliability I don't know what other brand you would choose for that kind of pricing.  For reloading supplies I would recommend MidwayUSA because their customer service is outstanding. I damaged a die during standard press operations and I called up customer service and explained what I did and what replacement parts I needed.  Instead of charging me for the replacement part and sending me that they sent me a brand new set of dies and the replacement for no charge.  After that I was sold and I continue to buy from them. 

For a 30-06 load I would recommend:

46 grains of IMR4064 with a 168 grain HPBT 

My two cents...

TK

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
"I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom." Lincoln

Texas Tim

Fantastic.  Looks like I have MANY weeks of reading to catch up on.  Thanks to all for the great information!

mike93lx

Tim,

The number one thing is always safety and one way to ensure that is to never take a load recommendation that you find online and begin using it without verifying it in multiple load books.  It is far too easy for numbers to be transposed or straight up incorrect from a well-meaning poster which can result in a damaged firearm or worse.

Recommendations are a great starting point to have something to find in your load books.  You can also check on the powder manufacturer's website to verify data.

Have fun and be safe!

Mike