News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rifleman Introductory Orientation - Pre-Appleseed Community Meetings

Started by Whisker, September 20, 2010, 03:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whisker

Introducing the RIO - Rifleman Introductory Orientation

The idea is, create a stepping stool for those who are interested in becoming a Rifleman but are not willing to take that big step alone  

Why the RIO?

I have noticed that it takes a lot of individual attention and coddling to take someone who is a complete newbie to shooting and get them to the point where they would go to an Appleseed.  Once we get them to the Appleseed, no problem.  We'll make riflemen out of them.  Newbies are pretty easy.  We just gotta get them there.

I hope to accomplish several things- Expand rifle culture by making it available.  This means, we need to reach our hands a little lower to grab the hands of "less able/willing" Appleseed recruits.  

My theory is:  It is too big of a step to 1. Consider buying a rifle 2. Buy a rifle 3. Seek out productive instruction (Appleseed) 4.  Actually go, paying the $70, dedicating a weekend to hang out with a bunch of people they don't know...  That's a big step for most of America.  

I know many of us have done this.  In fact, this is my personal story.  I bought an AR15 after some research on "what kind of gun should i buy?"  I was clueless, but lucked out with a good one.  I spend hours and hours researching, (something most people won't do).  I then drove many hours to a Illinois (of all places!) to attend a course that i didn't know much about at all... All i knew was that it was free and I'd learn a few things to make me better (cause I didn't pretend to know anything!).  Coly or Guy will tell you, I was out of place when I showed up!

Basically, most people won't take that path because most people aren't as weird as I am.  So, let's help them.

Content

I propose, the Rifleman Introductory Orientation.  A 2 hour community meeting session where people who are interested in learning how to shoot a rifle can come.  We will be able to answer the questions one on one to direct them towards coming to an appleseed.  

This may mean we tell them what kind of rifle to buy, depending on their budget or desires. We will do everything we can to help them not waste their money on dumb stuff (lazers, flashlights, ect  ;))  I'll bring lots of literature (probably the Becoming Rifleman DIY Manual, flyers, targets, ect) as well as an M14 stock with a sling to show them a bit about the positions.  I may even have video available (say, the French production on the waterman 300 and or the NYT magazine video).  I'll describe the program and what we hope to accomplish.  Then, open it up for discussion. . . keeping it informal so people feel comfortable and welcome.  We'll probably do name tags... I'll encourage people to give me their emails and phone numbers so we can start a list of potential attendees.  

Promotion

Potentially, a RIO can be done 2-3 weeks ahead of upcoming Appleseeds.  Reserve a room in the local library or community center.  It is free and easy.  Post flyers 1-2 weeks ahead of time.  (Once i get a flyer put together, i'll post it below).  It should be advertised in simpleton terms... something like, "Want to learn to shoot a rifle, WELL?"  Make it clear that this is an orientation, though all levels of interest are welcome.  

Flyers work well-ish.  Community calendars, reaching out to campus political/special interest groups, ect.

Practicalities

This is easy, folks.  There doesn't have to be a tight syllabus.  Anyone can hold one, IIT or Redhat or plain ol volunteer.  Don't worry about doing it right, just get doing it!  We just need to be hand that people can grab to help take that BIG step to coming to an appleseed.  

I think i'll do the first one at the University of Minnesota campus.  I have a friend who can reserve a room there.

UPDATE:  Flyer Format attached... Comments and suggestions welcome

UPDATE 9/21

1st EVER Appleseed R I O scheduled for:

Saturday, October 9th 12-2pm
Minneapolis Public Library - Franklin Ave
1314 E Franklin Ave, Minneapolis, MN‎
Lower level Community Room

2nd Appleseed R I O

Monday, November 1st 6-8pm
Saint Paul Public Library - Merriam Park
1831 Marshall Ave Saint Paul, MN
Lower Level Community Room
What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

AFTERMATH

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Fred

Try this out, and let us know how it works.

I predict only a few - 2-6 will show up - as doing this is equivalent to doing "hours of research on the web" which you already admitted "no one does".

Not meant in a discouraging fashion: One, we need more thinking like this; Two, whoever does show up, however few, those are 'fish in the barrel' for you. O0

So try it out, and let us know.

And don't let's judge the "first one" too much; we need to have 3-5 of these before we'll get much of a handle on what they will do for the program.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Whisker

What brings together men liberated from local and national limitations is also what keeps them apart. What pushes for greater rationality is also what nourishes the irrationality of hierarchical exploitation and repression.  What creates society's abstract power also creates its concrete unfreedom.

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Fred on September 21, 2010, 10:24:39 AM

Try this out, and let us know how it works.

I predict only a few - 2-6 will show up - as doing this is equivalent to doing "hours of research on the web" which you already admitted "no one does".

Not meant in a discouraging fashion: One, we need more thinking like this; Two, whoever does show up, however few, those are 'fish in the barrel' for you. O0

So try it out, and let us know.

And don't let's judge the "first one" too much; we need to have 3-5 of these before we'll get much of a handle on what they will do for the program.

I have every confidence in Whisker and his connections.

Whisker, can you publish these as 'events' on the MN facebook group?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Whisker

I think so.. I'm going to wait till I get confirmation on the third date. 

yellowhousejake

Whisker,

Was the course outline and information we sent you of any use? Niecie and I would love to get your feedback, even if you gained nothing from it.

Definitely keep us filled in, we'd like to know what the water is like before we dive in as well.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ