News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

A letter to the .gov concerning the sale of Korean M1s

Started by blasko, September 02, 2010, 09:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blasko

text, with slight modifications for Clinton and Obama, goiing out in tomorrow's mail.......

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand,

I read with dismay a recent news article stating that a planned sale of antique rifles by the South Korean military to collectors in the United States is being blocked by the State Department. This sale was initially approved by the administration. These rifles were originally given to the South Korean defense forces after the Korean War by the US Government and are now being sold to raise funds for its military.

The firearms to be sold are legal to own in the United States. They are very popular to collectors, sportsmen, competitive shooters and those being instructed in marksmanship.  The government of South Korea may be able to raise half a billion dollars from this sale that would otherwise be taxed to the people of South Korea or given as aid by the United States.

In light of some common sense reasons for allowing this sale, a comment by a state department spokesman inferring that these firearms would be used by individuals for illicit purposes arouses my suspicion. Firearm sales in the United States are strictly controlled and purchasers are subject to the NICS background check. Is this an attempt by some appointees within the administration to express anti-2nd Amendment political leanings? I hope not.

Being an avid shooter and hunter, it is my explicit desire to allow the sale of these antique firearms in the United States to go forward. Collecting funds by selling outdated equipment (rather than borrowing or taxation) to an enthusiastic and law-abiding community is a no-brainer.

I have distributed this letter to my friends, family and co-workers to call as much attention to this issue as possible.  I will view your public support favorably during the upcoming election.

As always, your observant constituent,

Spartan

"With your shield or on it"

Rocket Man

You may also want to add that long rifles are the least desirable from a criminal standpoint.  Crimes committed with Garands are almost unheard of, a negligible signal.  This rather moots the argument that blocking importation is needed to prevent some hypothetical crime wave.
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

CSHR

If you're a person who prays I suggest you start that, or offering other forms of sacrifices to the other gods, to prevent the current administration from actually getting their hands on said Garands.

My reason for that is they have a noted propensity for decommissioning all the military firearms they can get their minions to cut up.......remember the scene from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy where the all seeing eye is wandering about looking for stuff to do and then it sees all the good guys and sends his minions to fight them....cut to the scene where the giant hole in the ground has metal work going on...and ugly looking left wingers coming out in hordes to follow the commands of their better...????

I ramble......

CSHR
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

blasko

I know that by itself my letter will be "lost" and the message will fall on deaf ears, but I never intended on being a single blade of grass. :)

4bfox

Hope it's OK if we copy your work...it's a good letter. Already emailed my Reps and Senators, think I'll paste it on some of the "Gadsen" postcards and mail them, too.

Maybe if we flood them with emails, postcards, etc. it'll help? Wonder if GOA or anybody else is doing anything on this issue?

Ben
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money" G. Gordon Liddy

Eureka, KS RBC 05-11
Eureka, KS RBC 07-10

ChevalierdeJohnstone

Any updates on this?  blasko, where did you see this article?  I read something similar online, but was not able to confirm any sources.  (Which itself seems a bit suspicious...is there a coverup?)

From what I have heard, Gillibrand's 2nd amendment cred is not exactly stellar anymore.  Anyone who reads my forum posts will probably get the idea that I am not a big fan of the "normal" way of getting things done.  Such as writing one's congressional representative.  What exactly is the point of begging a congresswoman to lobby Congress to "allow" Americans to engage in what is a completely legal transaction protected, most of us believe, by the supreme terrestrial law of the nation?

An alternative to begging for the graciousness of some congresscritter would be to embarrass the heck out of them.  Don't ask - tell everybody exactly what is going on, what the legal decision was which allowed - under existing law, not just the "spirit of the constitution" - this international sale to go through.  Illustrate to the world their mendacity.  Then either they'll wake up and realize they work for us - or everyone will realize what a bunch of liars they are and maybe we won't have to see them back in the Capitol after the next election.

As I say, I haven't been able to confirm this story and would be interested in relevant information.  But based on what I'm hearing, blasko's letter - which 2 years ago I would have supported! - is for all intents and purposes begging a congresswoman to ask congress to Obey their own Law.  You know what?  Expletive that.

FYI, when I was inquiring of the NYCPD regarding the legality of possessing an M1 in NYC (we can't), I gave the lady on the phone an earful about how disgusting it is that the law prevents us from purchasing and preserving these pieces of American history, which quite possibly was at one point carried by someone fighting our wars for us.  Now, I'm sure she wanted to get me off the phone, but she did pause for a moment and say, "You've got a point there sir."  There are a lot of people out there - not in Congress - who are receptive to the message, even if Congress is not.  I suggest those are the people to whom the letter should be addressed.

Fred

The answer to this - all of it - is to grow Appleseed.

In 2016, when there are one million Appleseeders, and we roll over into 2017, and there are two million, things will start to happen. People will start to sit up and take notice. People will be running for office who have been to an AS and know what's at stake.

Trust me.

Grow this program.

Growing this program will answer all your questions, solve all your problems.

All of them.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

blasko

Quote from: ChevalierdeJohnstone on September 15, 2010, 02:55:21 PM
Any updates on this?  blasko, where did you see this article?  I read something similar online, but was not able to confirm any sources.  (Which itself seems a bit suspicious...is there a coverup?)

article is here...http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09/01/obama-administration-reverses-course-forbids-sale-antique-m-rifles/

I sent modified copies to my other senator, Hillary Clinton and Mr Obama. I do not have a representative because he quit after getting busted molesting his male interns.

The reason why Gillibrand reversed her 2nd amendment stance is that she believes that will let her keep her job. Unfortunately in New York she is probably right. All politicians will do anything to stay in office so if enough of the electorate express a positive attitude concerning our rights, she along with many others will move to the our side of the issue.

Not writing letters and not being involved is what got us in this mess in the first place.

ChevalierdeJohnstone

Not writing to Congress is NOT the same thing as not being involved.  And being involved by writing Congress is not the right kind of being involved.

I don't mean to offend, though I fear I'm gonna.  I think that those of you who write Congress asking for help truly believe you are doing the right thing, and I applaud your values.  But you're not helping, and I deplore your methods.

Because begging government officials for permission to exercise your right to purchase a firearm while obeying all existing laws - though those existing laws already infringe your rights - is not the answer.  "Please help me get ______ because I really deserve it."  At least you're asking for permission rather than for a handout, but it's all the same.  "Please, oh wise and munificent government, help me."

You Do Not Require Permission From Government Officials To Exercise Your Rights.  

In America, the legal authority of all governments is granted them for the sole purpose of protecting your freedom to exercise your rights.  By begging for permission, you acquiesce to their wrongful seizure of power; by acquiescing you abet it.  Stop asking!  Begging Congress for help is counterproductive.  You don't need their help, you just need them to get out of the way.  Having Congress pass a law allowing you to exercise your rights merely means that the next time you want to exercise your rights, you'll have to beg the government for another permission slip.

Participating in Appleseed is a wonderful, peaceful means of illustrating that we care about exercising our rights, that we can exercise our rights, that doing so places no unwanted burden on anyone else's ability to exercise their rights, that our exercise of our rights is responsible and peaceful, might be of benefit to everybody, and at the very least does not detract from the general well-being.  And all that peacefully and without any assistance from government officials.  As the esteemed Mr. Fred said, That is the Answer.  Don't Ask, Do.  If Appleseed continues to grow as Fred would like it, Congress will follow along like a nice doggie.

I do think there is one good reason for writing to one's congresscritter.  But don't beg them for help.  Invite them to an Appleseed.

Devnull

Quote from: ChevalierdeJohnstone on September 17, 2010, 01:11:08 AM
Not writing to Congress is NOT the same thing as not being involved.  And being involved by writing Congress is not the right kind of being involved.

I don't mean to offend, though I fear I'm gonna.  I think that those of you who write Congress asking for help truly believe you are doing the right thing, and I applaud your values.  But you're not helping, and I deplore your methods.

Because begging government officials for permission to exercise your right to purchase a firearm while obeying all existing laws - though those existing laws already infringe your rights - is not the answer.  "Please help me get ______ because I really deserve it."  At least you're asking for permission rather than for a handout, but it's all the same.  "Please, oh wise and munificent government, help me."

You Do Not Require Permission From Government Officials To Exercise Your Rights.  

In America, the legal authority of all governments is granted them for the sole purpose of protecting your freedom to exercise your rights.  By begging for permission, you acquiesce to their wrongful seizure of power; by acquiescing you abet it.  Stop asking!  Begging Congress for help is counterproductive.  You don't need their help, you just need them to get out of the way.  Having Congress pass a law allowing you to exercise your rights merely means that the next time you want to exercise your rights, you'll have to beg the government for another permission slip.

Participating in Appleseed is a wonderful, peaceful means of illustrating that we care about exercising our rights, that we can exercise our rights, that doing so places no unwanted burden on anyone else's ability to exercise their rights, that our exercise of our rights is responsible and peaceful, might be of benefit to everybody, and at the very least does not detract from the general well-being.  And all that peacefully and without any assistance from government officials.  As the esteemed Mr. Fred said, That is the Answer.  Don't Ask, Do.  If Appleseed continues to grow as Fred would like it, Congress will follow along like a nice doggie.

I do think there is one good reason for writing to one's congresscritter.  But don't beg them for help.  Invite them to an Appleseed.

Ok, so what would you have us do? How can we "get them out of the way"?

The Appleseed mission is that we can save our nation by using the system and voting these jokers out of office. That being said if you don't tell your congresscritter what to do then he/she can claim they had no clue what the constituents wanted!

It is VERY important to write government officials. Personally I take the role of "Hey, you work for me and THIS is what the law says. Also THIS is what WE THE PEOPLE want from you!"

If your not telling them what to do, then what are you doing?
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

Fred

Quote from: blasko on September 16, 2010, 09:16:45 AM
  Not writing letters and not being involved is what got us in this mess in the first place.

This may well be true. However, what causes a disease may not be the best cure for the disease.

On a sinking ship, writing leaders to the crew and captain who caused the ship to hit the iceberg is an option, but not, in my opinion, the best option.

Let's continue at Appleseeds with the "civic involvement" aspect of the program.

But I'd give it not much more than a nod.

Appleseed is THE answer.

And if I'm right that it is the answer, then every ounce of your energy aimed at saving the ship should go, not to writing letters, but to growing AS. ["Word of mouth" and "the Lo-Tech Way", remember?]

Recall our Mission, as often stated: Get people out of the deck chairs, and get them bailing.

True enough. But for the next five years (at least!), the specific mission should be to get someone out of the deck chair, awake to the danger and motivated to do something about it, and set him to the task, not of picking up a bucket, but getting others out of the deck chair - who then are put to work getting others out of the deck chair - and those others are put to work getting yet others out of the deck chair, etc, etc.

The US Army, 100,000 strong in 1939, did not reach 11 million in 1945 by, on war's outbreak, training guys and immediately sending them to fight.

No sir, the first trained batch was set to training a second batch, then the first and second trained batches trained a third and fourth, then all four trained another four batches, etc etc.

BUILD APPLESEED.

THAT'S THE ANSWER.

THAT'S THE TASK.

If some people want to write letters to Congress, fine and dandy. But the crucial task is to grow this program which, if successful, will make the difference.

Chevalier is correct: "If Appleseed continues to grow as Fred would like it, Congress will follow along like a nice doggie."

And, you'll save all those stamps... :)

Plus, eventually, Uncle Sam, finally understanding the value of the Bill of Rights, will buy currently-banned-for-purchase-by-non-governments surplus ammo on the world market, and make it available to citizens at home for marksmanship practice.

In a strange way, if Appleseed is successful, the gov will no longer fear the people. Or their guns.
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Gordon

In America, the legal authority of all governments is granted them for the sole purpose of protecting your freedom to exercise your rights.  By begging for permission, you acquiesce to their wrongful seizure of power; by acquiescing you abet it.
Man-oh-man, that is such a correct view, one that I wish every American understood and upheld!

But ChevalierdeJohnstone, you also wrote, "begging government officials for permission to exercise your right to purchase a firearm while obeying all existing laws - though those existing laws already infringe your rights - is not the answer.  'Please help me get ______ because I really deserve it.' " This was hardly Blasko's tone in his letter to his rep's. I hear Blasko telling his rep's, "Hey, I and everyone I know is watching you. Follow the law and the Constitution". I think it's an excellent letter and I'm glad he posted it.

Yes, letter-writing is great, we should all do it, and at Appleseed we encourage it.

But everyone should consider carefully what Fred says, about the multiplier effect. As one individual, with some inspiration concerted effort I might be able to have some marginal effect on the behavior of my rep's. But if I can find a means to inspire others to inspire others to do this, well then, this can really make a difference. And Project Appleseed is that means. In fact the appropriate word here is not "multiplier", but exponential. Explosive growth in the number of inspired, active citizens --- that is the mission.

Blasko, thanks for the post, and for sharing it with your family, friends, and co-workers. Inspire them to inspire others! "Grow the Program". We can do this.
-FM

blasko

Quote from: Devnull on September 17, 2010, 03:11:20 AM

I don't mean to offend, though I fear I'm gonna.

Not at all...discusion is a good thing...

I absolutely agree. However, if I take a confrontational tone I risk alienating the people I want to educate and I do not have the legal or finacial means to defend myself from the .gov say after showing up @ my reps office with a slung and safe AR. Just because I can does not make it a good idea.
There is no begging in my letter, only a threat. If you don't do the right thing, I will try to get you fired. Given our current political situation this threat has teeth. So I will continue to communicate my position and vote my conscience (sp?).

nyrasgt

I suggest that if every Appleseed attendee THIS WEEKEND (and every instructor) is inspired (i.e., infused with spirit) to write one letter, and mail said letter, the recipient politicians might meet the one thing that strikes fear into their hearts...active (wide awake) voters.  We voted you in; we can just as easily vote you...out.
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846