News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

4-H Shooting Sports Clubs

Started by gglovesguns, September 06, 2010, 01:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gglovesguns

Has anyone had any experience with inviting local 4-H Shooting Sports clubs out to upcoming Appleseed shoots? I'd like to see the 4-H youth out on the firing line, but I don't know where to start to make that happen or how realistic of a dream it is.

eaglescouter

Ask about and then respect their rules.  That makes the invite much easier.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Mark Davis

As a 4-H instructor and 4-H line officer for more than 13 years, it's a tough nut to crack.
4-H has it's own way just as appleseed has it's own way.
The focus of instructors here is highest level competive marksmanship.
World War 2 era GI marksmanship with rack grade rifles has little appeal to shooters with 3000 dollar anschtuz air rifles.

Ratchett

Not all 4-H Shooting Sports Clubs go the competitive road. Our local Athens County club is not in it for the competition. They teach everything from living history to rifle and pistol, as well as black powder. My son and daughter were members from the age of clover bud to graduation and my brother continues to be an instructor. It is always worth looking into individual clubs.

Just my 2 pennies.

IHG,
Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

RiflesnReins

I completely agree! I belong to my local 4-H shooting sports club and you should have seen their faces when I told them about Appleseed. They always wanted to go but they just started this year and we only have 4 shooters ( for rifle). I am now the source of info about AS.  :bow: Do you have any hints on how to interest them in getting involved?
"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"The truly blind are those who will not open their eyes to see"

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

I am not sleeping... I'm just practicing the prone position.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton

George Hacker

Since youth participate for almost nothing, cost shouldn't be a barrier.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Charles McKinley

Now that the 4-H fair is over I hope that the instructor and some of the local kids will come out to the remaining shoots at Slippery Rock.  The focus here is on sporting grade rifles not the high end competition grade rifles.

It doesn't have to be an official 4-h event.  The kids could just come as a group.

The 4 h's are: Head, Heart, Hands and Health and they aare pledged to God, Country, Community and world.  As I see it 4-h values fit well with the AS values.

All you can do is ask.  Talk with the leaders, parents and kids.  Kids like to SHOOT! (even us big ones with gray hair)  Throwing lead is FUN!  HITTING you target makes it even more FUN.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Kosciusko

Quote from: gglovesguns on September 06, 2010, 01:46:29 AM
Has anyone had any experience with inviting local 4-H Shooting Sports clubs out to upcoming Appleseed shoots? I'd like to see the 4-H youth out on the firing line, but I don't know where to start to make that happen or how realistic of a dream it is.

We did an AS for the Redwood Falls, MN club.  Attendance and participation was good, considering the weekend  was an alternating cycle of downpour-wind-sunshine-repeat.    I found them very easy to deal with.

Sly223

I have recently been invited to the Fl 4H instructor course,
and am attending this weekend at MGAR, I never knew either and really still do not however after this weekend I will have worked a deal as to get with the fellow who ripped the door off the hinges for this cross pollinization to occur. Our deal with each other is I will give 50% of 2014, and he will also work half of our AS events! I am not sacrificing AS for something else I simply added these events to weekends not already committed so no I am not leaving by any means I am just diversifying and adding to my platter! ..:..
I will repost after the weekend and keep us all posted on cracking this nut!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

slim

HQ and/or SPQR could probably answer any questions you may have. Theyre both heavily involved in their local 4H progams.