News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Massena, NY August 21-22, 2010

Started by boltgun71, August 23, 2010, 04:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boltgun71

If one word could describe this shoot it would simply be, smooth.  The range and facilities at the Massena Rod and Gun Club are first rate.  Several rifle, pistol, and shotgun ranges (most with covered cement pad firing lines), camping on site, large classroom and even restaurant on site, canoes you can rent, etc.  It's a country club for shooters.  Now with all these terrific facilities we only had 5 shooters for the weekend, the smallest group I ever had.  Five on Saturday and four more that came back on Sunday, but what a quality group of shooters they were!  Two had attended an Appleseed before(one a qualified Rifleman already) and the other three were new to it.  The instruction flowed smoothly all weekend, the shooters were receptive and with four instructors and no more than 5 shooters throughout the weekend everyone got 1 on 1 instruction.  There was 0, I say again ZERO, safety issues the entire weekend.  

One of our new shooters this weekend was Victoria, a kindergarten teacher from Canada.  Victoria had practically ZERO shooting experience.  She literally had been to the range twice prior to the Appleseed just to learn the function of her rifle in preparation for the Appleseed, but had no formal or serious instruction or experience shooting.  She came to the shoot eager and willing to learn something new.  On the first redcoat target she didn't even qualify as a 100yd shooter and on her first square she fired about a 20 MOA group.  But she didn't know what she was doing but she had an open mind and wanted to learn.  In between each firing each square she intently paid attention to our classes on the 6 Steps, steady hold factors, IMC, Rifleman's cadence, etc.  Literally by the 3rd 1"square she was keeping at least 3 of every 5 shots on the squares.  As we progressed to different positions throughout the day her groups continued to shrink and shrink to 4MOA and less.  When I made a comment about her incredible shooting and groups she simply stated, "I'm just doing what you guys tell me to do".  Folks, that's the big secret!  The program and instruction is solid and proven, you just have to apply it!  What did this all result in for Victoria?  She shot Rifleman on her first ever AQT on Saturday with a 216!  And continued to shoot Rifleman throughout the weekend!  A kindergarten teacher from Canada with no shooting experience, and Rifleman multiple times, including her first AQT!  All because she applied what we told her to do.  Oh, and did I mention the longest she ever took on Stage 4 was 60 seconds!  Her average for stage 4 was 40-45 seconds!  She said she wanted to get all her shots off before she "started to shake"!  Wow.  Absolutely incredible.  I couldn't make this up and come up with a better example of what to do and answers to give.  Bravo Victoria!

But what about the rest of our shooters?  Well Victoria and another shooter, Chris, shot Rifleman on Saturday.  Victoria's boyfriend was already a qualified Rifleman from a previous Appleseed.  Going into Sunday we had four shooters, 3 out of 4 of them qualified Rifleman.  By 1030 in the morning, on the third AQT of the day, we had 4 out of 4 shooters qualified Rifleman!  100% Rifleman on Sunday, 80% total for the weekend!  Literally on the last AQT at 25m all four shooters shot Rifleman at the same time, we have the pictures to prove it!  So this left me with a dilemma, what to do next, I never had 100% Rifleman on the line.  The answer was clear.  Leave the 25m line and go to full distance.  That's right, by 1030 in the morning we had moved to full distance.  We moved to the 300yd full distance range, prepped gear, broke early for lunch, after lunch had a class on ballistics and FD, and moved back out to the firing line.  We had two rimfire shooters and two centerfire shooters.  The centerfire shooters confirmed BSZ at 300yds(both had AR-15's) and the rimfire shooters shot two sighter groups at 100yds.  We then moved into running simultaneously a Advanced AQT for the rimfire shooters and a full distance AQT for the centerfire shooters.  This brought us through till the end of the day and we ended with everyone a Rifleman and being able to run an entire full distance or Advanced AQT for every shooter.  

A benediction was given, 7th stepping was done, and the shooters went home.  Everything went smooth and without a problem.

After the shoot, Ryan (Rattlehead here on the forum) stepped up to be an IIT and will get a Orange Hat this coming weekend in New Bremen.  Thank you Ryan for taking the next step.

Overall a fantastic and smooth shoot.  Thank you instructors and shooters alike.  I know pictures will be posted soon.

I look forward to everyones comments.

U.S.Cavalryman

Smooth is a very good word. The last 25 meter AQT had an average of 218. The line was varied from Military and Law Enforcement to Teachers. it was amazing to give some instruction, see it followed, and let the target tell the story.  Awesome.
"Only Hits count, you cant miss RAPIDLY enough to catch up"

independentrider1

the only complaint I have was the rain but with the covered ranges it was really nice.

Rattlehead

That'll be a hard shoot to beat.  About the only thing that could have made it better was the weather...

Spartan

It was a great appleseed!  Glad you are stepping up LT.
"With your shield or on it"

Swamphunter

It was a great time and I received some quality shooting instruction. Without a doubt, the most in depth firearm training I have received from my early years as a competition rifle competitor, to 20+ years of law enforcement firearms training. Looking forward to coming back and shooting some more with friends and relatives, including my son in two years when he turns 12!

Chainsaw

The great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania doesn't mind if you bring your 10yr old!   ..:..
You are always welcome here.
Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

independentrider1

Hey Boltgun, Cant wait to see the pics.

U.S.Cavalryman

Here are a few pics.
"Only Hits count, you cant miss RAPIDLY enough to catch up"