News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Shreveport Aug 21-22 AAR

Started by POP, August 22, 2010, 08:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POP

What a great way to learn about our country.
What a great weekend.

Off hand about 17 shooters on the line Saturday, 12 on Sunday.  Two of the Sunday shooters drove in on Sunday just to present a demonstration on Black Powder shooting, Connie and Ghostrider.  Connie shot with us at the Eureka RBC in July with hubby Ghostrider.  Connie shot Rifleman at Eureka, and, Ghostrider shot a high 206 today.  Thanks for the history and demo on Black Powder.  I even got to squeeze the trigger ... pictures coming. Starfox and Johnny also presented Black Powder demos on Saturday.  Thank you all for the look back into time.

A special thanks to Starfox, DoubleLL, Alonso1, K98AL, spmcpeek, Sir Drault, and, Johnny, for taking their time and traveling to provide the able instruction that Appleseed attendees have come to anticipate. 

One more special thanks to Mike Bothel at Bodcau Range, LA Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries WMA.  This event would not be possible without your help.

For the weekend:
Two new Riflemen, one who also took on the Orange Hat.  Congratulations to both of you.   O0 ..:.. O0

And, we appreciate olfart for bringing his RC Airplane and taking aerial photographs.

I have pics to post but first a good night sleep.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

JARHEAD MIKE

Hey pops,
thanks for expediting the AQT process this morning so my brother could get back on the road to south LA. He learned a lot this weekend for someone that had never fired a centerfire rifle before this weekend. Thanks to all the instructors for their help.--Mike
"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle"

K98Al

As always, a great shoot in Shreveport. Got a bit warm Sunday, but saw two Riflemen in spite of the sweat in their eyes! You look good in that hat, Alan, and thanks for bringing the boudin! Kalo earned his Rifleman patch as well, I hope to see you with an orange hat soon.

All of the shooters were great, the blackpowder demonstration was very interesting, and many shooters were really showing improvement.

To all who were getting close, but struggling with some of those positions: practice, practice! Remember - a Rifleman persists!

I look forward to working with all of you (shooters and instructors) again.
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

doubleLL

I want to thank all the shooters for coming out this weekend. The temps were in the 100's, but we were blessed to have cloud cover on Sunday morning and a light breeze on both days.   :)

We had one family who impressed all the instructors. A dad and his two sons came out to celebrate their dad's birthday at the Appleseed. The 17 year old actually paid for his dad's registration cost!!!  Kalo, 17 year old made rifleman on Sunday and both his brother and father are right behind him. I look forward to seeing Emily and her dad again at a future Appleseed, you both showed improvement.

Special thanks to POP for organizing the black powder demonstration on Sunday, what a treat!
"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien."
Davilla 3-10

catsmith

Emily and I had a great time Saturday.  Wish We could have been there Sunday. 

I like the techniques tought but I am officially an old dog and will eventually get good at the new tricks!  I think we learned enough to get some practice and make a showing at the next one.  I will be working with my other daughter also.

Thanks to Pop and the gang.  Yall did a great job teaching shooting but more importantly the history of our great country.  Emily has told a BUNCH of people the real deal about Paul Revere.

I enjoyed meeting everybody and looking forward to seeing you all again.

ghostrider

It was a great day on Sunday, and I even had a great time doing a demo on blackpowder. This is a great range in Shreveport, with some great instructors. Thanks Pop for inviting us.
As always in honor of those willing
to take a stand for justice, with the
sword of freedom.

"This We'll Defend"

www.8thtxcav.org

starfox

Quote from: catsmith on August 23, 2010, 10:48:00 PM
Emily and I had a great time Saturday.  Wish We could have been there Sunday. 

I like the techniques tought but I am officially an old dog and will eventually get good at the new tricks!  I think we learned enough to get some practice and make a showing at the next one.  I will be working with my other daughter also.

Thanks to Pop and the gang.  Yall did a great job teaching shooting but more importantly the history of our great country.  Emily has told a BUNCH of people the real deal about Paul Revere.

I enjoyed meeting everybody and looking forward to seeing you all again.

catsmith,

I am super-stoked to have met you and your daughter Emily.  It is always such an inspiration to see someone so dedicated at such a young age as Emily on the line.   :--- Truly, that is the Rifleman spirit.   ^:)^ I enjoyed working with you both!  Emily will make Rifleman soon!

Thanks for your perseverance on the line!!!

-Andrew
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

POP

Some Aerial Pics from 'olfart' and his famous flying camera.

First pic shows the Range looking West.
You can see the Target Line, Firing Line w/Hot Pink dashes, and Equipment Line marked with Hot Orange dashes.  I credit this setup with keeping the firing line neat and orderly.  Shooters could see exactly where they needed to be after safing their rifles, and the Line Boss always had a clear view of the line and RSOs.

Second pic shows new Red Hat K98AL as Line Boss Saturday morning.  This view looking South shows more of the covered firing line for the 50yd pistol range the Appleseed uses, the range office, equipment shed, 200 yd range, and parking lot.

Many thanks to olfart for making the trip to fly his camera for us.  And thanks to Johnny and son Josh for helping set up the range Friday afternoon in the heat.  All that was left to do Saturday morning was to set up the target backers which shooters and instructors alike pitched in to help with.  Thanks to all.  Job well done.   O0

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

catsmith

Those are neat pics!  Gonna have to show Emily!