News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Thank YOU to EVRYONE at the Sparta Appleseed!

Started by steelephoto, August 22, 2010, 10:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelephoto

Hi! I'm one of the WOMA photojournalists that was able to attend the Sparta event.  Sadly, the majority of our team had to cancel, but we are planning to attend some other Appleseed events. Also, sadly due to some health issues I wasn't able to participate , but I am certainly planning to soon!
I was absolutely impressed by every aspect of the last two days. Every volunteer I encountered was more than accommodating, helpful and generous with their time and knowledge. OuttaAmmo has been huge help to me since I hatched the idea of covering the event as a journalist - my hope is through not only state  and national coverage, the local coverage will interest more folks so that second event will be possible in Sparta!
I've posted a few of the what seems like a million pictures I took over at Facebook -
when I get all of the photos worked up and placed on my website - I'll be sure to share the link with you here, as well as links to any of the online articles etc.
The last two days only served to interest me more and more about this  fine program and cemented in me a desire to particpate and also earn my Rifleman's patch.
Hats off to everyone who was involved! As I get things worked up from this pile of recordings, videos, notes and photos I'll be posting here to share with my new friends and acquaintances:)
link for the Facebook "sneek peeks" below :)
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=245121&l=3bc585cb67&id=297763873454

Reveille

Looks great so far.....I can't take the anticipation to see the final product.  Thanks for helping spread the word. O0
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.

Mudcat

Woohoo Gretchen made it to a shoot !! ^:)^ Sounds like you had a great time too.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

wooldl

Great job Steelephoto! Sparta was a great weekend and I'm glad you were there to cover it. I'm looking forward to the final product.   :)
"Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present generation, to preserve your Freedom! " - John Adams

AQT Dryfire Practice mp3 files: http://www.4shared.com/folder/559qijqr/My_4shared_Sync.html

Mutti

Having attended the Sparta Shoot - I just wanted to write what my experience was in hopes of sharing how important this was to me personally. It is important for the instructors and organizers to know what type of impact you had on one person. I hope to meet each of you again at a future shoot.
========================================
Our family has wanted to attend an Appleseed Shoot for almost a year. Finally we were able to make the Sparta Illinois Shoot and it was worth every moment of  the wait. I thought we were prepared with water, snacks, the .22s we own, ammo, stapler - everything on the list. We even have a friend in California (SocalSerf) who sent us a box with targets, explanations of what we would be doing, Rifle flags, and Fred's book.     However the most important thing we brought was "a teachable attitude".

Neither my husband or I are regular shooters although we both had been exposed to basic weapon handling through the Military over 20 years ago. We began instructing our children (20, 13, 9, and 7) in gun safety and respect from the time they could toddle. Living in the "country" we have all had the necessity of needing to use a weapon to protect our livestock from predation.  Still nothing could prepare me for the beauty of the day that unfolded in Sparta, Illinois on Saturday August 21, 2010.

We arrived early - the children were so excited to attend that they got themselves out of bed at 5 am to do their farm chores. I had to make them choke down breakfast, because after all they were going to need the energy. It had rained the night before and our clay ground sucked at their feet as they made their rounds from critter to critter. Amazingly, we were packed and ready to go ½ hour early.  All that was left? To excitedly load up our cased weapons and head over.

We met in the parking lot and it was easy to see that the organization of Appleseed began at minute 1. I think we all were a little nervous at being new and our 7 year old son was excited because next year he would be able to participate. We only owned 4 guns and had not been able to afford on for him.

As we stood in nervous little groups talking, a gentleman approached us. (We found out later that Mr. Dave and his wife Mrs. JoAnn had attended Appleseed before). After introducing himself he looked right at our son, something adults almost never do.  Then he did something I shall never forget. He raised his hand, reached across space that separates most Americans from one another, and placed his hand on my son's shoulder. "I hear you would like to shoot. How old are you? Well - I have just the gun for you to use. It's my wifes and we want you to use it. I'll show you how."

In our society we have become a separated from one another. Many of us have forgotten the simple gestures that were ingrained in our forefathers which helped achieve the very Freedoms we would learn more about that weekend.  Kindness, patience, a willingness to share what we know with one another freely without hope of renumeration, attention to detail, perseverance through adversity and something I can only describe as Camaraderie.

Through the diligent efforts of our instructors (Wurstmacher, OddBall, MikeD, and MissouriBrigade) the mud, heat, discomfort, and nervousness began to disappear. For me, and I hope for the other shooters that day, it came down to 25 meters of focus, paper, ammo, and breathing. I don't know how they did it but a pattern emerged. This is what we need, this is how you do it, repeat it back, put it into practice, adjust here, focus there, this is what you just did, and this is what you need to do to be better. It was like no instruction I have ever received before. Clear, concise, to the point, and learnable.

I have to admit I reached a point barely two hours on the range where my frustration was growing. My weapon is a Left Handed Savage Bolt Action which we purchased 8 years ago. As a "lefty" many things can be frustrating when operating in a Right Handed world. It seemed that no matter what I did, I could get on paper and that was it. I was hesitant to mention it because I didn't want to be seen as a complainer. Last to leave the line each time, I felt demoralized and hesitant to approach my target hoping the instructors who check would maybe skip me. Then I would walk back holding my target thinking in a circular motion "What are you doing? Aren't you listening?"

I can't remember if it was Wurstmacher or MikeD, but as I described the issue to him in a rambling unorganized way ("It's just a "feeling" of wrongness") he gently stopped me. In a quiet calm manner he knelt beside me and spoke a few words I think were designed to break that cycle of failure I was allowing myself to become mired in. He held his hands before him, palms facing down range overlapped, creating a little oval between the junction of the "Vs" of his thumbs. Instructing me to focus on the target and close one eye - then the other - he discovered that even though I am a lefty I am really "right eye dominate". It was like a light bulb went off in my brain. Here was something I could work with and maybe someday I could have a chance at achieving "Rifleman" if I continued to try. To him that moment must have been something he has done dozens of times before, to me it seemed a turning point.

Slowly I began to see a little improvement (although the action of reaching across to slide the bolt was difficult over time I was sure that could be overcome). I was still the last to leave the line not even getting every round off, however it wasn't speed I was looking for but accuracy and improvement. As I finished (Bolts Back, Safety on, Mags out, Flags in, Ground your rifle, Step Back) - a gentleman approached me and again the Appleseed Spirit manifested itself. Mr. Dale had an extra rifle - would I like to use it after the next break?

It turned out to be a 10/22 Auto bolt release, 20" Gun Mounted Barrel, cleaned up trigger, with a beautifully laminated stock that he had finished himself. Never having handled one, he showed me the basics and handed this lovely rifle to me. See what I mean about Appleseed? Neighbors were beginning to form where strangers had been just hours before.

The day progressed and through the heat we lay prone upon the multicolored blankets, mats, and sleeping bags we had brought. Shoulder to shoulder, rifles pointed down range hovering over an orange line - there was more to us than had been there before. Perhaps it was the histories told of our American struggles, maybe it was the common bond of sweat, or maybe we just found our rhythm as a group - but the day ended better than it began.

I'd like to thank all who Instructed and all who participated. While I did not make it back the next day due to prior commitments, my family did. They walked through the door sweaty, tired and hungry  - I could not wait to hear how their day went.

Thanks to all and hope to see you at our next shoot.
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

Wurstmacher

Here is a link to the After Action Report for the Sparta Appleseed Aug. 21, 22.  Hope it works. If not you can find the Sparta shoot in the After Action Report board.

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=16250.0

mikaldulee

You and your family did a great job of persisting and participating.  Wurstmacher helped you with your eye dominance issue.  It never occured to me.  I learn something new everytime I attend an appleseed.  Your kids had great muzzle discipline and positive attitudes.  It was a pleasure working with your family.  Come back again.

OddBall

I just wanted to say that is was a honor to get to work with such respectful young children. I was able to work with Astrid for an extended period of time and we finally got her shooting 6 moa groups or pretty close and getting almost all her rounds off in timed stages with that single shot Cricket 22 that little girl was getting really fast and running that bolt and pulling the firing pin back ...... Now if I can just get her to get that thumb moved over and not dragging wood we might get that down to 4 moa. WOOF WOOF WOOF thats my other dog impression.  ;) I also want to say that giving history was a stuggle for me this time as I gave Third strike for the first time it went over well. I will get it right next time. I wanted to thank Gretchen for being there and listening to us. And I just have to throw this in cause it makes me laugh  ..:.. ..:.. ..:..
Hey Man, I'm drinking wine, eating cheese and catching some rays.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?"