News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Azusa, CA Aug 7-8

Started by DesertDog, August 09, 2010, 06:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertDog

Another great weekend in the Golden State!!

Sat morning had 11 fine Americans turn out for a great day of shooting and heritage.  Nate and Shannon who had attended their first Appleseed in Piru just 2 weeks ago came with 2 friends.  Also, Dave who worked a graveyard shift and drover 2 hrs to get there.  There's the Rifleman spirit O0

The opening Redcoat had 1-300, 1-200, 2-100 and 3 headshots.  The end of the day Redcoat was 1-400, 1-300, 3-200, 3-100, 2-HS and Nate cleared it.

We did not get an AQT in.

8 shooters returned Sun.  After the Redcoat and review we started the grind.  Nate came in at 225 and took the Orange Hat of Destiny ^:)^  Shannon shot a 201 and 204, she'll get it next time.  Everybody improved their Rifle marksmanship and learned more about their Heritage.

I really cool thing was Nora, NewMOe's daughter, came up with an idea of shooting a rabbit target.  She had some notepads with rabbits on them.  The idea was that the Colonials had to use thier muskets to get food as well as protect their gardens.  10 shots in 1 minute.  I made it a competition with the winner getting an AS patch.  Nate and Jesse tied with 10 shots.  They were some of the best groups of the day.

Thanks to Laylopro, NewMOE, CSHR, JamminJ and Xeyed for helping to make the weekend go off without a hitch.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Deadeye Darlin

Hey guys!

Thank you so much for an awesome weekend! I am proud to say that I have definitely improved since the last Appleseed. Congrats Rough Rider (Nate) for earning Rifleman!! Had no doubt in my mind that you could do it.  :)  You should be proud of your awesome achievement!

Can't wait to go to another Appleseed event to hone my skills even more. Thanks everyone for making this weekend a great one!  :)

"Aim at a high mark and you will hit it. No, not the first time, not the second time and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting for only practice will make you perfect. Finally you'll hit the bull's-eye of success." - Annie Oakley

Rough Rider

What a great Appleseed event this was. All the shooters present, and staff made this event awesome. Thank you DesertDog, Laylopro, NewMOE, CSHR, JamminJ, and Xeyed for excellent instruction. You guys inspire me, and make me proud of being an American. As to achieving the Rifleman patch; I thank everyone's patience and sincerity in helping me. To my wife Deadeye Darlin (Shannon): you are just nearly there, and next time it will be your day.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

Johnnyappleseed

Nice shoot California O0
Congratulations to our new Rifleman Nate (Rough Rider)   O0    Shannon (Deadeye Darlin) great attempt , you are so close . Next time for sure , especially since your married to an IIT  ;D

Sorry I missed all the fun  :(
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

SavageShootr

CONGRATULATIONS Rough Rider!!! Welcome to the Instructor corps. You will be good.  ^:)^

Deadeye Darlin, not making it this time just gives you an excuse to go to another Appleseed.   ..:..  How can that be a bad thing? Did I hear that you were oh so close to clearing the redcoat? Missing only the 250 yard MRC shot? Fabulous job!!

See you both on the trail.

Nora. Great thinking!!

To all who attended. Congratulate yourselves for getting off the couch.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

CSHR

Congratulations to all who attended, we appreciate your spirit of learning and how it seemed like a big family get together.

Rough Rider/Nate...Persistence and results  **)  ^:)^         I like that Tapco stock you've got on the 10/22 with the Tech sights, light weight, accurate and pistol griped.

Desert Dog...come and SB for us again   ~~:)

'da crew'.... thanks for allowing me to play in the dirt with you, great cohesion!

LLP.....kinda nice on this side of the street ain't it  ;D

CSHR
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

Xeyed

Congratulations to all on the inaugural Azusa Appleseed. Hopefully this is the first of many and the facility was excellent and the hosts were superb.

This was my first shoot as an Orange Hat in California. It was a 112 degrees when I left home in Las Vegas. It was 76 degree's when I got there. A welcome relief. I could get used to California Appleseeds

Congrats to Rough Rider for earning his patch and taking a hat. Welcome to the trail.

Respectful admiration was earned by Deadeye Darlin for persisting when it was not easy and coming so close. Only a matter of time.

It's always a pleasure to spend the weekend with Appleseeders.  

It was also nice to be able to help the California Crew who has been so helpful and supportive of the Southern Nevada program.

X
One Man awake, Awakens another. The second awakens  His next-door brother.
The three awake can rouse a town. By turning the whole place upside down.

The many awake can make such a fuss. It finally awakens the rest of us.
One man up, with dawn in his eyes, Surely then, Multiplies. Lawrence Trib

JamminJ

Hey Nate, that's awesome! Congratulations on shooting your rifleman! 

I knew this was your weekend, oh so close the last time.  I'll bet the lack of Saturday AQTs left you with great anticipation for Sunday. !@#)

How did your buddies enjoy the shoot?

Rocket Man

Sounds like a great way to kick off Appleseed in Azusa.   8)

Congratulations to our new Rifleman, and welcome aboard!  Sorry I couldn't be there, but I'll see you all on the trail!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rough Rider

Mike and Jason both enjoyed themselves. Jason said "at the next appleseed..."  ..:.. I just focused on that statement, and was happy he wants to go back. He learned alot, and scored I think 170+ right around there. Mike wants to do another one as well.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, For then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

LayloPro

OK,

gotta say, this was fun....being there as an "Instructor", instead of having to be SB/ "big poo-bah" is really refreshing....... ^:)^ O0

Found out some of what I had forgotten, such as when at the end, everyone is thanking you profusely for helping them out on their rifle, position, presentation, etc.....don't usually hear that much as the "boss"...... ??? @@)

We had a previous RM step up into his orange hat of Destiny, and found it fit really well, perhaps better than he thought.....a few trips on the AS path, and he will most likely be one of our prominent red hats soon enough.....Congrats on your decision, JamminJ!! O0 O0 O0

While we did not have the regular amount of time to promote this shoot, it is in an excellent position in LA Cty, and I foresee a good long lasting relationship with the great staff over @ Burro Canyon Range......With enough tents, you can actually overcome just about -anything-!!
Being out of the way from the "regular range folks" made for a more relaxing event, altho' we had several visitors who stopped in to see what "this Appleseed thing" was about....I'm positive our next event here will be far more packed than we were this weekend..... O0 :cool2: ..:.. :~

Let's see, special thanks to Desert Dog for SB'ing this thing......made my weekend a whole lot more relaxing..... O0 :bow: O0
CSHR, NewMOe, X-eyed (special drive in from Vegas to "escape the heat!"), Nora & JamminJ........you guys are the goods!! We keep getting more practice at this stuff, and getting better at all aspects of putting it across to folks......

Last, and certainly not least, we had Rough Rider finally accomplish his goal of shooting a 220+ score on an early AQT.......solid effort, applying all the points we had to instruct, and he was truly a quick study in applying everything designed to make him a better shot, and accomplish it so well.
Congrats!! O0 O0
His wife Shannon is certainly not far behind, as her scores in the low 200's showed.....there was actually a point Sunday morning where we thought she would be our next RM 1st, as he was fighting a trigger finger that simply was not obeying him, and she was certainly applying well on the squares....but a loose front Tech-Sight threw her off her game, and he was able to recover & pull into the lead...... ;D :)) :~

And so again, we closed out the day with our final AAR, considering ways to incorporate Noras' "Bunny target" as a Sunday "fun" target, which focuses the shooters on grouping, NPOA, and also cadence.......everything we do, we have a reason for..... 8) O0 :~

Driving back home, you can only be doing the math in your head that says: "When's the next one?!?"

So, how was -your- weekend??
LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

LayloPro

A few more pix....I actually had less time as an instructor than SB to take some pix!! ::) :o :o

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

NewMOe

Hey all had I hope you had a great time, I truly enjoyed your company and dedication. To the new shooters, excellent improvement ! Jamin J, I look forward to working with you again soon, Nate !!!!!!!! Excellent job You look quite good in orange.
If you did not make Rifleman, do not get discouraged, come back until you do !!
"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the

Deadeye Darlin

Ah! Now that's what I was waiting for! I wanted to see the pics!  :) 

Seeing the pictures just reminds me of the great time I had and how much I'm looking forward to participating in another. After attending a second Appleseed I have realized that you learn something new/different each time, perhaps because of a slightly different explanation or just listening/watching more closely. It's like watching a really good movie... you catch more things as you watch it more. Each instructor I have come across from the two Appleseed events that I have been to have all given me valuable information told in different ways. Absolutely beneficial and really really helpful! I think that it is so important to attend more than just one Appleseed event, even if for that reason alone.   :)

Thank you all for encouraging me... I will persist, and I will succeed!  ;)  Now it's time to practice, practice, practice...

"Aim at a high mark and you will hit it. No, not the first time, not the second time and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting for only practice will make you perfect. Finally you'll hit the bull's-eye of success." - Annie Oakley

Deadeye Darlin

Forgot to mention, Rough Rider has been bragging to all his friends and loving his moment, as he should!  ;D  Anytime I ask him to do something for me (you know, the honey-do list rears it's ugly head) he grabs his orange hat, waves his arms about, and says, "Cease fire! Cease fire! Cease fire! Unload and clear!!!"  **)  I can't help but laugh every time he does that! He's going to be a great instructor one day...

Johnnyappleseed

Deadeye Darlin ,
Thanx for sharing how much fun an IIT can have  ;D
BTW a nice shiny new "orange hat " is waiting for you too.
Rough Rider --keep practicing those line commands  ;)
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Cinch

What a fun weekend! The instruction was terrific. The camaraderie was refreshing. Our history remembered was moving. My shooting is improving. My gear needs to be revisited and sorted out. Thanks to Desert Dog and CHSR for the gear loans. Day two was much better using your gear. The students were supportive and encouraging. I enjoyed shooting the paper Bunnies. I think ear shots should count  :---
I hope to come out again after finding work.
Cinch
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." ---Thomas Jefferson, 1816.
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." ---Thomas Jefferson, 1816.

Cinch

I tried to sort out the the avatar before the post but it did not work. Suggestions on how to do so?
Cinch

LayloPro

I don't know Cinch....it looks like a good loop sling setup to me, as he is tightening the H-piece over the loop.....

What did you have in mind?

DeadEye, glad you had a good time....lots of stuff to remember, but when it all comes together, you kinda go: "Gee, that wasn't that hard to do....."
And remember, RR may not be trying to get out of the "Honey-Do" by yelling line commands....the 1st thing we usually have a new IIT do is call the line commands......Drop 'em in the deep end of the pool, so they get used to watching for safety issues..... ^-^ 8) ~~:)

LLP

TrebleShooter

Hey Deadeye!
You should check out one of the upcoming ladyseed shoots in cali.
They are TONS of fun..