News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Carrolton, KY. Aug, 7-8 2010

Started by Mudcat, August 09, 2010, 06:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcat

Well another shoot is in the books for Three Rivers Shooting Sports in Carrolton, KY. We had 9 determined patriots show up for the Rifle Marksmanship instruction and a lesson in American Heritage. From the very beginning we could tell this was a determined bunch that knew very much what they were about. 4 previous Appleseeders with 2 of them being Riflemen already but then we had 5 relatively new shooters too. We got our safety instruction, range commands and then rifles were retrieved from the vehicles. We made a few changes with handing out some loaners and then 13 rounds were prepped. After the redcoat target was retrieved we found out that we had 1 shooter who was effective at 300 yards, 2 at 200 yards and 4 who were effective at 100.  Then the instruction began with the prone position steady hold factors, 6 steps, NPOA and was like drinking from a firehose.

Yes we shot several of the little black 1" squares at 82' everyone was very attentive and willing to try things our way no matter how long they had been shooting. This showed in their shooting and on their targets.
We then did a lunch under the roof in the shade and I told the story of Gen. Gage and his secrecy and Paul Revere, William Dawes, that hot headed lt. Addair and the brave men who gathered on Lexington green. Kyjam then followed up with the great story of Hannah and Issac Davis with some great new info I had not heard. I really enjoyed her telling of the second strike.
After lunch we were back at it with seated shooting positions and transitions. Then we broke out the AQTs and we made 2 Riflemen 
Son Of Liberty who had shot Rifleman before,  was our first with a 212.
Who also had asked about getting one of these spiffy new orange hats.
So everyone welcome one of our newest IITs,  Son Of Liberty.
He was followed by Mike with a 215 who also backed it up with a 217.

Brad told us his new version of 3rd strike he had been working on and it was great. I believe the trip they took to battleroad seemed to have sparked their interest in the history.

Sunday brought sore muscles, elbows and ribs. Kyjam gave us a nice devotional Sunday before the shoot started for those that chose to attend. A quick review of the position steady nhold factors, 6 steps to firing the shot, NPOA, Riflemans cadence and Riflemans bubble and we were back at the line shooting some squares. A few sight adjustments and then we start to hammer out Riflemen on the anvil of the AQT.

OK sight alignment, sight picture, respiratory pause, focus my eye on the front sight, focus my mind on keeping the front sight on the target, trigger squeeze and follow through

Veggieboy in perfect form.

Jorge working the bolt action. Jorge drove 180 miles both days to attend this shoot he was so close on Saturday but blew it out of the park on Sunday with 213, 216  and a 233. This man was determined to get his Rifleman patch.

A brave grasshopper  riding on Holden's barrel.

When it was all over with we had 6 Riflemen Andrew with a 212, Holden with a 212,Kyle backing his score up with a 100 stage 4 238, his brother Ryan 221 and a 233
It was a joy to have you all on the line this weekend and I hope to see you all again.  We also placed an orange hat on Ryans head too, these 2 guys will really be able to help us out in KY. Thanks to you both Son Of Liberty and KI4URW for stepping up and taking the responsibility of the orange hat. It is a very rewarding job even if it takes a lot of hard work. I am looking forward to working with you both in the near future.
Zak this guy got sun burnt so bad on Saturday even wearing sun screen  his hands were starting to blister on Sunday I can only imagine the pain you were feeling.  You too keep practicing and I will see you at Knob Creek next month. Veggieboy so close man, I believe 207, hang in there and keep dry practicing. Who knows what it could have been if the rear sight had not have fallen off 3 times. But you kept a good attitude and would not quit that shows persistence that is what it takes to be a Rifleman and persevere.
It was a great weekend being in the company of so many fine patriots and new friends to me.
Thanks to the instructor crew, Brdholman, kyjam, Riflegirl,Trainer 8119 and Milk&Cookies.  Also thanks to another new member of the KY instructor crew our volunteer Skye who sports the pink hat rather well. This was Skye's 3rd shoot for helping to hand targets out and keeping the shoot running smoothly and on time.

I believe there are more pics out there somewhere.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

son of liberty

Thanks for the great instruction and extreme professionalism! You folks are very very appreciated here and I look forward to helping out where i can when I can. Even with out the rifle training you all are a great bunch of folks who would be plenty welcome at my table any time. I was hoping to get more folks to come out and fill the lines, but that some how never works out.  Loved the history as always , love to hear it again delivered from other instructors, it really gives you a idea of how important it is with each one of you , the little things you each add to the stories to make them very real and very personal. 

As always had a great time and enjoyed the event greatly. I wish I could get more of my friends to come out and do this as well , maybe next time I can get some more out.

brdholman

Want to say thanks to all for a fantastic Appleseed.  Everyone had a genuine desire to be there, both students and instructors, and to give it their all.  6 Riflemen, gees.   ^:)^  And thank you for appreciating the program. 
It was a hot but beautiful weekend.

Son of Liberty and KI4URW, you are embarking on a journey!  Teaching our heritage is an absolute blast and you get some marksmanship in to boot. ;)  And for those new Riflemen, you would look just radiant in orange.

going to post some pics...

kentuckyjam

In case you didn't figure that out, I posted that under 'brdholman'.  OOPS

Strategizing for Parker's Revenge

And they're off!

Our newest Appleseeder, King Charles

Riflemen!  They work great individually but not when posing for a group shot.

KI4URW takes the hat!

Time's almost up...

Riflegirl

Instruction

On the line...

Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

kentuckyjam

Finally got the pictures up and working.  :wall:
Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

Johnnyappleseed

WoW Great Event Kentucky O0
CONGRATULATIONS to the SIX new Rifleman ^5
Welcome aboard to the new IITs .
Just a casual observation: but it appears that animal has the heart of a warrior! **)
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

son of liberty

There was a large Boxer dog that came around to encourage us during the down time, that little dog was ruthless to it. Hanging from its lips and just pretty much mauling it with aggressive affection, heart of a warrior is right!!

Thanks for the pics KYjam!

Thanks for the welcome to the fine program!!! I look forward to being guided even more by you fine folks!

I wanted to throw out a special thanks to Trainer 8119 , Both the Appleseed's I have attended he was there giving great instruction and helping with every task that came his way. I hope I can add as much as you have to my experiences with Appleseed to others who I might have the pleasure of helping on there road to becoming a rifleman.

KI4URW

Had a great time. Thanks.

I think my forehead was so burnt that I didnt need the hat you could of taken a black sharpy and just wrote RWVA on my forehead!

Trainer8119

Son of Liberty, thanks very much for the comments, a pleasure to work with you.   
A really good shoot.  Everyone came with a teachable attitude.  In spite of the heat, everyone was positive and seemed to have fun.  The shooters responded to the instruction and several asked for more history.  I enjoyed working with each one.  The persistence and good attitude of Zak and VeggieBoy in spite of adversity was impressive.  Our Riflemen were for real too, the pictures of the line say almost as much as the targets.  Consistent improvement and good form.  Son of Liberty and KI4URW, I look forward to working with you.  You guys are the real deal.  Mudcat, Brdholman, kyjam, Riflegirl, milk&cookies, I am constantly inspired by your dedication and ability.  Skye, thanks for helping.