News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Beginner questions for first Appleseed

Started by Redneck19, August 08, 2010, 09:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redneck19

I'm hoping to come to the Appleseed in Columbiana this coming weekend and maybe bring a few friends.
I had a couple of questions:

1. I understand the "curriculum" is pretty sling heavy but is it imperative to have a sling?
2. What about bringing friends who don't have rifles? Is renting a possibility?

Thanks a bunch!
A country boy can survive...

didactic

Sling is a 99.9% necessity, buyt if your rifle is not equipped, they can be borrowed and jury-rigged onto a rifle even if it has no swivels.   ;)

Loaner rifles are usually available, but surer if you make advance arrangements.  I'll contact the shootboss and ask him to PM you.  Don't let lack of a suitable rifle stop someone from coming!   O0
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

Redneck19

A country boy can survive...

Bama

Quote from: Redneck19 on August 08, 2010, 09:30:46 PM
I'm hoping to come to the Appleseed in Columbiana this coming weekend and maybe bring a few friends.
I had a couple of questions:

1. I understand the "curriculum" is pretty sling heavy but is it imperative to have a sling?
2. What about bringing friends who don't have rifles? Is renting a possibility?

Thanks a bunch!

Hey Redneck!

You can learn alot without having a sling on your rifle, but you will learn much much more and shoot much better with a USGO websling. Looking at your icon I asssume that you plan on bringing an AR/M4 type. Make sure you have a way to attach a 1 1/4" sling on the front of the AR, on the bottom, not on the side of the barrel. You will be glad you did.

If you are planning on going to an Alabama Appleseed, PM me with any needs you or your friends have for loaner rifles, and we'll see what we can do. I know I have promised out all of mine for the Guntersville shoot, but other instructors have some as well.

Thanks & regards,
Bama
To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

-Niccolo Machiavelli (1531)