News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Minnesota 2010 Appleseed Picnic - A park has been chosen!

Started by sparks1, September 08, 2010, 06:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks1

****CLIFTON FRENCH REGIONAL PARK****

September 19, 2010 @ 1:30PM

We'll try to gather on the south side of the park. If there's no parking, there should be a shuttle running from the big parking lot.

Directions in post #5 below.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Since the polls have closed and it seems that ONLY MODERATORS can respond to a closed post, I have started this for you perusal and enjoyment. ( That's if our own Aftermath will kindly wax eloquent here and not start a rant. :-\)

Adam and I have PM'd and I vote for the suggested Powderhorn Park. Easy access from highway 55 (Hiawatha ) and 35W via 35 th street exit, Leave it to our frontier raiding RH ( Whisker) to have already scouted this and have a solution before it was needed. :bow: I would think it is equidistant from southern Mn. and Duluth area for our friends fortunate enough to be able to make a living outside of Mn. Moscow.

So, unless Adam wants to wade in here or Sven (who's that?) Hah. let's imagine a picnic at the SE corner of Powderhorn park. Maybe think of 13:30 start..it gets dark earlier now.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

Sven

I live about three blocks from Powderhorn Park, I vote no.   >:( The facilities are only so so, parking is a problem and there is the potential for a drive by shooting.  I carry my Glock when I go there,   :--- faster reloads.

On the other hand there is a large park at Minnehaha Falls that has better facilities, more parking and is easier to access.  Or there is a Regional Park next to the Oakdale Gun Club in Woodbury not far off of I94 between the 494/694 interchange between Woodbury and Stillwater.  The Oakdale range is open to the public until 4:00 pm, for $15.00 for the day.  If you would rather stay on the west side of town there is a nice regional park in Plymouth, the French (?) Regional Park that is open for picnics and can handle large groups with decent facilities.  That's my suggestion.

Sven
"I was spotting one day and M2 was hitting baseball sized dirt clods at 300yds away. DON'T F/K with an old man with a Garand... " RED DAWN

adamt

I will give the ok for the clifton french park in plymouth. Easy access from 494 and Cr9. I have been there before and it is a nice place. Sven, low probability of a drive-by here. ::)

If this is not the park, Minnehaha is my second choice.

Oakdale would be 3rd.

AdamT.

P.S. I will wait for sparks1 or anyone else to chime in. Tomorrow I will draw straws and make a call unless objected.
"If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."

--  Abraham Lincoln

Sven

Adam

If French Regional is your first choice I am fine with that, just not Powderhorn.  Any of the three I identified would be fine with me.

Sven
"I was spotting one day and M2 was hitting baseball sized dirt clods at 300yds away. DON'T F/K with an old man with a Garand... " RED DAWN

sparks1

Your choice is okay by me, Adam.

I had heard Powderhorn is not the place to be after dark. Guess my Kimber stays in the holster.

(John Maxwell)

adamt

I guess that Clifton French Regional park is the choice then. Better French then British I guess. Here is a link that will provide you directions. http://www.threeriversparks.org/directions.aspx?name=Clifton+E.+French+Regional+Park&address=12605+Rockford+Road&citystatezip=Plymouth%2c+MN+55441&ll=

It is located on the western side of the Twin Cities. If there are any objections make sure to sound off.

We can stick with sparks1 original start time of 13:30. Again, up for debate if need be. The park is open until 22:00 but it seems to get dark sooner then later now days.

As the date nears, I will post my phone number in the event personal directions are needed. I will also take PM's if necessary. Now that the time and place are set we can start to figure out an itinerary.

Please check in with ideas for food / games / mock miniseed......

AdamT.
"If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."

--  Abraham Lincoln

adamt

On a side note review, An Appleseed picnic will probable make the safest park around. :cool2:

AdamT.

--  Abraham Lincoln

russellmn

I'll be there guys.  Might be a little late, gonna come from Church in Poplar, WI, but I'll hit the early service that get's done around 0930, so shouldn't be too late. 
For lunch, is there a grille available?  Everyone could bring their own dead animal and grille it up???
Pugna pro Patria

www.nationalmatch.us

adamt

I will case the place tonight after work. I am pretty sure they have the usual park grills.

AdamT.

--  Abraham Lincoln

vmt193

It shall be done. Sparky, I've edited your original post.

vmt193

sparks1

(John Maxwell)

Sven

Adam,

Can you contact the Park and secure a spot for our gathering?  If there is a charge let me know.

Sven

AFTERMATH

13:30? ???

First you steal my glory and then switch the time on me? !@#)

Excellent! O0
This is working out better than I expected!  You guys are taking away all the pains of being Asst. State Coordinator.
Assuming this is the consensous; we've now got the time and place!
I'll start another thread for attendance keeping; look for it soon.
Once we've got a good portion of people on board we can work on the logistics...  Food, drink, etc....

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

adamt

Sven, I cant seem to get an answer from the visitor center. There web page has no events listed for that day, whatever that means. I will drive by there tonight (Thursday.) I do know that they have several pavilions and open air picnic areas. I will try and get more solid information however.

AdamT.

--  Abraham Lincoln

Sven

Adam,

If you can nail down a couple of picnic tables early in the day that would be great, $250 for a Pavillion is more than I care to pop for, I was willing to go to 25-50 bucks but not 250, besides lets see what we get for a turnout.  It would probably be a good idea to have some pop ups along in case of rain.  Do you have any?  :cool2:

Sven

adamt

I don't have any easy ups "yet." I probably won't have one by this weekend either.

To all that are coming. If you have and shelter please bring it along. Better to have it and not need it then not have it and have needed it, or something like that.

I am going to try to get my hands on some picnic games. Maybe we can have a friendly game of bean bag artillery toss..

AdamT.

--  Abraham Lincoln

javaguy

I have canopy and official Appleseed mallet to take it apart with if needed.  Goes together easy - comes apart hard.  Its all that Hinckley sand I think!

vmt193

If the weather is decent we'll be coming by bike and traveling light, but if it looks crappy and we're on 4 wheels, I'll have two 10x10  pop-ups.

We're going to shoot for the south side of the park, right?

adamt

South side of the park is correct. There is limited parking by the picnic area but usually a shuttle runs from the large upper parking lot.

AdamT

--  Abraham Lincoln