News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Invite NYT Reporter?

Started by VietVet, July 31, 2010, 04:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunville

I don't see us shaping the media.  I see us using media. To do that effectively we need media that can present AS unbiased or neutral without 'militia' undertones.

I read how we're far from our projected numbers for the year, which would impact successive years as well (we need rifleman to become instructors, and we need more instructors to make each successive years goals.)

I think the program needs a big push, and major media coverage (positive coverage) would fill firing lines a lot faster and sooner than grass roots. 

Let me tell you folks, we are a lot less likely to get positive coverage from NYT or CNN than from media that might see benefit in heritage and not fear marksmanship.

To give you an idea - consider GB mentioned and recommended Hyak's "Road to Serfdom" . Before that, it was selling something like 2500 copies a year. It sold something like 50,000 in a week.  And let me tell you, the book isn't exactly pleasure reading.

I would venture an on-air discussion by Beck or Limbaugh with a positive recommendation - and we'd have full shoots and ranges lining up.
-----------------------------
"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

ChevalierdeJohnstone

I agree with everything you say.  But.

"I think the program needs a big push, and major media coverage (positive coverage) would fill firing lines a lot faster and sooner than grass roots." (gunville)

That "getting positive major media coverage" is a Big If.  There is an enormous advisory industry which pays the rent on its Miami Beach homes by doing just that.  What you're talking about is Advertising.  Doesn't matter if it's buying spot ads or soliciting favorable news interviews (which on an averaged basis - that is, assuming you don't get amazingly luck - takes a LOT of work, by the way).  It's advertising.

No true grassroots organization can _coordinate_ a useful advertising campaign.  Can't be done.  Advertising requires a brand message.  Communicating a brand message requires someone to decide what that is.  This is why businesses have CEOs.  Somebody has to make the big decisions.  Sometimes monarchy really is the best governance model.

If Appleseed wants to appoint* someone to be "media director" and run with that mission, then great.  I ain't volunteering and that is not at all what this organization i) says it is about, and ii) is actually anywhere close to being at this stage of its life.  But it could work.  It might very well be more effective than the haphazard marketing efforts we have today.

(* And who, exactly, does the appointing?  I trust the myriad problems are apparent.  Depending on who gets the job, some of us may want to revoke our membership.  Who knows?)

Let's be clear, however - what we're talking about here involves completely changing Appleseed's DNA.  You can't say you're a grassroots organization comprised entirely of volunteers if you start hiring a national media coordinator and regional brand managers (and those are full-time, paid positions, make no mistake.)

Personally, I like Appleseed the way it is.  I most likely would not have attended an event nor joined the organization, were Appleseed run as a top-down corporation (whether for-profit or not.)  No, as presently organized Appleseed is not terribly efficient at circumventing media bias.  But so what?  I thought that was the whole point of being a grassroots, all-volunteer organization. 

You ain't gonna change elite opinion by getting Fox to run a segment on the RWVA.  These are not the people who watch Fox.  The majority of Americans may well support the 2nd amendment and the concept of learning marksmanship and a bit of American values and history all at the same time.  But the media elite doesn't give a Schumer about what "the majority" thinks, hadn't you noticed?

As a grassroots body, however, we _can_ get the message out to those Americans who are actually receptive to Appleseed's values.  We do it the same way I found out about Appleseed: word of mouth.  Far more valuable than a news article or a TV mention (in which, by the way, you are qualified only to present _your personal opinion_ not to represent my views or those of any other member) is to tell your friends and family what a great time you have at Appleseeds and what value it adds to your life, and might to theirs if they give it a try.  I propose that we do more of that, and less worrying about what some reporter writes as a follow-up to his no-doubt scintillating study of "the habits of internet trolls".

There is a famous essay with which some may be familiar, called "Isaiah's Job", by Albert Jay Nock.  (Free copies available on the internet.)

In this essay, Nock mentions a story about the prophet Isaiah.  YHWH tells Isaiah "Go warn the people.  Spread my message among the flock.  Tell them they need to shape up, or I will visit my wrath upon them."

Isaiah is happy to do YHWH's bidding.  Until he's told, "By the way, I should warn you - it won't do any good.  The government officials and so-called 'opinion leaders' will turn up their noses and laugh at you.  And many of the rest of the people won't even take the time to listen.  They'll keep on making the same mistakes, which will lead ultimately to their destruction.  You'll be lucky if you survive."

Isaiah of course says, "Well why the heck should I go preach to these people if they won't listen and my mission is an inevitable failure?"

"Ah," says YWHW, "you do not get the point. There is a Remnant there that you know nothing about. They are obscure, unorganized, inarticulate, each one rubbing along as best he can. They need to be encouraged and braced up because when everything has gone completely to the dogs, they are the ones who will come back and build up a new society; and meanwhile, your preaching will reassure them and keep them hanging on. Your job is to take care of the Remnant, so be off now and set about it."

techres

Quote from: ChevalierdeJohnstone on August 05, 2010, 12:53:55 AM

No true grassroots organization can _coordinate_ a useful advertising campaign.  Can't be done.  Advertising requires a brand message.  Communicating a brand message requires someone to decide what that is.  This is why businesses have CEOs.  Somebody has to make the big decisions.  Sometimes monarchy really is the best governance model.

If Appleseed wants to appoint* someone to be "media director" and run with that mission, then great.  I ain't volunteering and that is not at all what this organization i) says it is about, and ii) is actually anywhere close to being at this stage of its life.  But it could work.  It might very well be more effective than the haphazard marketing efforts we have today.

This is not really the thread to go into a full discussion here, but this is actually happening already.  We DO have a branding team lead by volunteers who are actually professionals in the field.  We do have an organizer who is herding the cats.  And we do have promotions people working on a national promotions campaign. 

You might note that the national tri-fold, the new images on the web site, and the new billboards are all consistent in tone, image and content.  This is no accident, but rather the result of quiet but hard work happening outside of the view of most.

Now, what does this mean for local promotions?  It means help for those who need it, and support for those already doing their own promotions (we fully support any team doing their own successful and energetic promotions!).  Frankly, haphazard is not our problem with the local promotions - the real problem is lack of action and work.

As for national attention from media - we are so blessed to have it and we should milk it for every new attendee we can get.  We should not let it change our message,  but we should take every opportunity to use it to explain our mission.  That explaining is the best promotions we can do.

So, in the end, promote in any way you can.  Use every tool and opportunity you get.  Stay on SOM SOM, and keep in touch with the forum so we can coordinate.

And finally, we are not after a remnant.  We are after every American heart.  Some will be easier to win over, but none are to be left behind or written off.  Every American Heart.
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.