News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Period clothing?

Started by kentuckyjam, July 16, 2010, 09:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kentuckyjam

Just wondering how many have taken the history a step further and worn period clothing?  We just got back from Lex and Concord and I can't help myself.  I got the fabric today and start making my period correct-as-I-can-sew outfit tomorrow.  I saw some links from 2008 on here for websites you can buy the clothes from, but no mention of anyone actually wearing them. 

I'm in touch with a lady that works at Munroe Tavern, going over patterns, what is acceptable to wear on battle road, etc.  As I get through it, I'll put the most relevant links on here.  One very helpful one is http://www.18cnewenglandlife.org/index.htm .  it goes into the history behind the clothes.  I'm picturing Hannah Davis as I put my outfit together.

Will be posting pics of our trip and more tid bits we heard in the next few days.  I need to get it all together, but will say this...every instructor ought to figure out how to get to Mass.  Walking along battle road, where the farms are, realizing how the red coats were targets walking along, and imagining what the militia were thinking as they snuck over to bloody angle...just amazing.  The highlight was either being in the room where Adams and Hancock were arguing or seeing Jason Russell's house.  Walking the battle road brought it to life so much more, blisters and all.
Liberty will not persist without personal responsibility.

SavageShootr

Kyjam,

That is excellent!! I am excited to see how it works out.

We have a couple of Instructors that shot the 'seed in period costume.

Now they oftentimes wear period costume at lunch when doing history. There might be some pictures of asminuteman wearing his at some of the CA shoots. I cannot recall dates, but if you look at the AARs from Corona, CA, Glen Helen, CA, and Piru, CA. He was also at the April 17-18 Eureka, CA seed but I do not know if there are pictures of him wearing it there or not. There might also be some pictures of Sespe in his.

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

eaglescouter

I'm interested in whatever information you can assemble.  My online searches revealed either halloween costume quality or museum quality replicas and at a similar broad range of prices.  Given that I am not an expert on the clothing of the time I was unable to differentiate between a proper period pattern and a crude imitation.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

CortJestir

Quote from: eaglescouter on July 16, 2010, 09:53:45 PM
I'm interested in whatever information you can assemble.  My online searches revealed either halloween costume quality or museum quality replicas and at a similar broad range of prices.  Given that I am not an expert on the clothing of the time I was unable to differentiate between a proper period pattern and a crude imitation.

Well, I'm always one to plug my wife's fife and drum corps. Their uniforms are among the most authentic. From their website:

QuoteMCV's crisp formal appearance has become as well known as our music. In honor of the significant contributions made by New England troops during America's War for Independence, MCV is uniformed according to the U.S. Continental Army's clothing warrants of 1779. For the New England regiments, these specified a blue coat with white lapels and cuffs ("facings"), white trousers, and waistcoats. European tradition recognized the drummers' and fifers' special status as signalers and non-combatants by providing distinctive dress, usually by reversing the colors of the regiment in the musicians' coats. The Continental Army followed suit, and so MCV appears in an appropriate livery of the New England musicians comprising white coats with blue facings, white trousers, and colored waistcoats, white powdered wigs, and black cocked hats.

And you can check out photos here:
http://www.mcvfifesanddrums.org/photoalbum.html

All their stuff is handmade. I can also probably get you in touch with their quartermaster/seamstress...

CJ
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

Ratchett

Kyjam,

When my brother does the reenactment for our Appleseeds he does full Virginia (I believe) Militia Dress and demos his Brown Bess. I do have a dress from 1776 era in royal blue with white eyelet bodice and white eyelet cap (my Mother made it for me.) I actually wore it back in the day for the Bicentennial celebrations and when our community theatre did the musical "1776". Haven' t worn it yet, still working on my history. Do have a catalog from Jas Townsend & Son, Inc. but they are a bit pricey :( Best wishes with your project, think it is a great idea!!

In His grip,
Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

eaglescouter

Brown bess is another authenticity issue, which pattern and how do you get a reasonably realistic one instead of the poorly made or poorly patterned junk?
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

slim

Quote from: eaglescouter on July 17, 2010, 03:16:10 AMBrown bess is another authenticity issue, which pattern and how do you get a reasonably realistic one instead of the poorly made or poorly patterned junk?
Ratchett's brother uses a Charleville Musket as his "Brown Bess." He points out this was America's version and with Baron von Steuben's help, the Colonials finally learned to stand in formations with bayonets fixed.... not on that "front sight," but on that bayonet lug. Then he pulls out that shiny bayonet, fixes it and does a few thrusts that illustrate just what the guys on the green were facing.

Then he says... "now who wants to go shoot this thing?"

Awesome, awesome, awesome addition to the program. It definitely puts it all into perspective. If possible, period dress would be a great addition to an event. I'd like to see us have RWVA issued Tricorns some day too!

slim

I forgot to mention... he also brought a rifle to the IBC to show off. Beautiful handmade piece that was, I want to say, .36 caliber?

The interesting thing about this particular piece was it was left handed. When you think back to those muskets, rifles, clothes - every single thing in those days - it was hand made. Even the "standardized" pieces like the Brown Bess, or the Redcoats the soldiers wore, the cartridge boxes Isaac Davis' Minutemen carried, everything was made by hand and served a specific purpose.

Really puts it into perspective when you think about the men who crafted the firearms or women who sewed their names into the Colonials' jackets. Not only did they think about what they were doing... they thought for many hours, sometimes even days or even months.

kentuckyjam

I have to look up the date but the women of Lexington had a spinning bee, where they all came out to boycott the English fabric.  They started making their own fabric, adding to their duties.  This made them be very careful and not waste any fabric.  Thus, I will be doing the same in using the self edges as my hems.  I'll research this event and post more info.

The Old Guide

I stopped at a Mennonite store in PA last summer where I bought one of their hats. The lady who took my payment looked me up and down and absolutely knew I was no Mennonite.

I said, "I suppose you wonder what I'm going to do with this hat."

She said, "Well,"

I told her I was going to make it into a tri-corner hat like those who earned our freedom from England. She said, "T'is a worthy purpose."

I have several yards of unbleached muslin. If I can find a pattern for a pull-over shirt I'll make one.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

kentuckyjam

Quote from: The Old Guide on July 17, 2010, 01:15:23 PM

I have several yards of unbleached muslin. If I can find a pattern for a pull-over shirt I'll make one.

http://www.kannikskorner.com/patmen.htm - the pattern for just the shirt is $12.  That's why I'm trying to save money and go without a pattern on every piece.  But this pattern seems to be the norm for the men.

desertrat144

Quote from: kyjam on July 17, 2010, 01:51:58 PM
That's why I'm trying to save money and go without a pattern on every piece.

kyjam and others thinking on re-creating period clothing-  Congrats on taking the next step.  Some lessons learned from Civil War (CW) Reenacting.  Don't cut corners (groan!  ;) ) by not getting patterns.  There are subtleties in cuts & seam differences from 1700 (even 1800's CW when sizes were standardized(?) where there were 3- too big, close or too small) v. today.  I made my own CW CSA Uniforms, and Fed Navy; my wife her own and daughters dresses & ball gowns as we didn't have the $$$ for them.  Lessons learned: everything is done by hand, so uniformity in componet piece fit will have some 'errors', machine stitching does stick out use a machine for hidden stitching and hand sew finish work, I think this has been pretty well substantiated, but for the new folks- the reason that the thread colors on surviving specimens of clothing is different is oxidation of the dye media used over time remember, dyes are pretty much all vegetable or natural product based.

One thing to consider in holding down costs and helping the 1700 learning curve- share patterns & construction 'lessons learned'.  If you can find someone that reenacts that period, pick their brains.  When getting ready to assemble clothing, uniforms, &c. that count (especially using wool) do it with another fabric first.  Yeah its more time and money, but the end product will be well worth it.

For the guys, and wimmen folk too, think about what really would have been worn respective to the activity.  How many times have you seen reenactors wearing their Sunday goin' to meetin' best in a battle?  Also, 1700- early & mid 1800s shoes were not made in left& rights, they became that way by wear; the exception is those that were $$$ well off.

ky & others- drop me a PM if I can help you with this.  Period correct clothing can be a challenge but like all things worth while, you have to work to learn.  The history of some of the minutia is interesting unto itself.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Shoot Squirrel Yes

Quote from: kyjam on July 17, 2010, 11:38:20 AM
I have to look up the date but the women of Lexington had a spinning bee, where they all came out to boycott the English fabric.  They started making their own fabric, adding to their duties.  This made them be very careful and not waste any fabric.  Thus, I will be doing the same in using the self edges as my hems.  I'll research this event and post more info.

http://www.amazon.com/Tidings-Eighteenth-Century-Beth-Gilgun/dp/1880655047

The essential beginner's and experienced person's manual. If you could only have one book, you wouldn't go wrong with this one.

asminuteman

"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

The Old Guide

Thanks kyjam. I ordered the men's shirt pattern.
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

9mm4545

Another source for authentic period clothing patterns (with directions) is from some friends of mine who have been to an Appleseed (and who plan on returning this fall): www.tailorsguide.com. If you want custom made period clothing, their work is beautiful and authentic: www.just2tailors.com. They do work for museums, reenactment enthusiasts, fife and drum corps, etc. and make things the old fashioned way with loads of hand stitching and such. As you might expect, it doesn't come cheap but the work is first class. I have no financial interest here but just want to let you know of yet another source.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

kentuckyjam

Take a look at my new profile picture.  I could not get my outfit ready for this shoot so a lady from Virginia mailed me a loaner set.  I've made my shift and gotten my shoes and stockings.  Should have the rest of my outfit made by the October shoot.  I did the history in first person for both first strike and The Wedding Portrait that never was.  I'm sure it helped the listeners, but it also helped me get into it more.  Maybe I'll have Brad a costume before Patriot day next year.  I know it will take that long to convince him to wear it. :D

desertrat144

Outstanding!  Doing a First Person impression and staying on script during it, especially "TV? What's that?" &c. is difficult, but rewarding.

3 Huzzahs for you and your efforts!

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

kentuckyjam

Extremely rewarding.  Even if your outfit was made for a 6 ft tall woman and you're 5'4".  ^-^