News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

W-S Journal "opinion Piece"

Started by Tareece, August 11, 2010, 10:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tareece

Well.... its begun.

You all must realize by now that the NYT did a piece that was somewhat ok but in some areas associated the AS program with militia-types...

My first thought was what was Jack Dailey thinking in agreeing with a story with the Times?
The author could have been just a customer to begin with and then could have made his profession clear to Jack, who then may have felt pressured to consent.....But they explained it well in the response on the homepage.... "nothing to hide"

Well, now my local rag, the W-S Journal did an "opinion" piece titled "Rifle shots/history lessons echo to our East"...seemingly nice title...
http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/aug/08/rifle-shots-history-lessons-resonating-to-our-east/opinion/

But what is included is nothing new, but a regurgitation of the NYT article with very little "opinion" given except at the bottom of the "piece".. .where it practically MATCHED the end of the NYT piece.... No effort to get another angle or actually experience AS, and LEARN.... nope...

I left comments as DHSRWE and so did a AS Instructor (screenname techres).

But I come away feeling that AS is definitely in the cross hairs now.

QuoteAppleseed response
Inaccuracy #5: Appleseed has a Secret Plan

We wish we had a Secret Plan to get more people involved but we don't. There is no inner group, no special level, no wizard behind the curtain.

This is obviously true...because Jack himself adopted me like a long lost son during a gbo gunshow, me being just a stranger that wanted to "help out".... He and I spent several hours talking, and going on some errands, and during our conversations, he told me why he started AS... He was tired of complaining and not being heard. He knows millions feel the same way.
Like I said before, it was one of the best weekends I've spent lately. Like being with long lost brothers who care for the direction of our country and see it slipping away.

I feel confident...more like I am SURE, that AS... allowed to do so on its own... will turn this article into a major positive. But we need to know, ESPECIALLY with nothing to hide... thats exactly what allows the press to shape stories to their will.

I thought y'all would want to know about the WSjournal piece....
Know the limits of your knowledge and the expanse of your ignorance--- yours truly

techres

Thank you for catching it and posting to it.  I posted to their comments when I saw it too but did not mention how it was a regurgitation of the NYT article.  Thank you for pointing that out.  It REALLY needed to be said.

Techres
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.