News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Como, MS July 10-11

Started by oldfudd, July 10, 2010, 11:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldfudd

I wanted to begin this After Action Report for Como, MS after Saturday's activities.  Fortunately, instead of expected "killer" temperatures that a lot of the country is experiencing, we had only normal Mississippi hot weather under a somewhat cloudy sky that allowed us good shooting and excellent history presentations.

Since the venue at Como is a first time Appleseed event, and the private range we're using only opened last week, I didn't really know what to expect.  Facilities are still pretty spartan, but it seems that everybody had fun and learned a lot.  We had 9 enthusiastic shooters on the line most of the day.  A couple were Appleseed repeats, but most were new shooters.  No Riflemen on Saturday, but I hope and suspect that we'll see a couple earn their patch tomorrow as they're getting close after 2 AQTs.

More to follow. 

"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

Johnnyappleseed

Happy to see you in harness Dick  ~~:)
You Florida boys get around . 8)
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

tnhawk

The instructors did a great job as we increased our knowledge, on and off the firing line.  Hopefully we'll continue to practice the skills taught this weekend.  It's especially encouraging to see our younger citizens spend a weekend at a Appleseed event.

dart67eb

I just wanted to get some pics up.  I only had my camera on Saturday. I took some pics with someone else's on Sunday and I hope they post them.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

dart67eb

more

dart67eb

more

oldfudd

Well, its over despite the heat and dust.  Unfortunately no Riflemen on Sunday, which I attribute in part to the really oppressive heat.  Much hotter (at least to me) than Saturday.  Still, fortunately mother nature managed to direct all the thunderstorms all around us, but none hit us directly.   8)

We had a couple of new shooters join us Sunday, and they seemed to join right in on the festivities.  Despite the weather (HOT), the enthusiasm of the shooters never diminished.  Despite sweat running down everyones faces, all I ever saw was smiles.   ;D

At the end of the day, I was really pleased to be able to present a couple of our young shooters with Appleseed Kids patches.  Both Bishop and Collin really earned them.  Over the course of the shoot, their marksmanship skills increased dramatically, and they were model shooters -- no safety violations, great enthusiasm, attention to details and responsive to the instructors' comments.  The way they were shooting, I expect to see them with Riflemen patches in the near future.  In fact, I think their Dads will have quite a bit more competition than they initially expected.  We'll see who makes Riflemen first !!!

I do want to thank the Instructors who did all the work for the Shoot Boss.   ~~:)  Ebben (DART67EB), Wes (WESM) and Andrew (GUNNER09).  I'm also happy to announce that Andrew was promoted from IIT3 to IIT4.  Thanks again guys, it wouldn't have happened without your hard work and dedication.

I also want to thank the DeSoto Rifle and Pistol Club for the use of their facilities.  Although they've just opened this new range (1 week before our Appleseed) and are still suffering construction pangs, I believe that they will have a world class shooting facility in the near future.  Several of their members were also shooters at this Appleseed, and I believe these older, more experienced shooters were generally impressed with the way Appleseed approaches safety, younger shooters, marksmanship and our country's historical heritage.  Thank you for joining us.

Once again shooting at the toy, google eyed redcoats (a really great idea stolen from BAMA) was a big hit, and tension buster on Saturday.  Some of the older shooters looked somewhat skeptical  ++)  when they first heard about this fun shoot, but after busting caps on these tiny, challenging targets, all skepticism seemed to turn to big smiles when they realized just how much of a challenge it was to try to hit a 1/2 inch headshot (google eye) target.  After 5 shooters made the "runoffs", we then still ended up with 2 who successfully were awarded the "world champion google eye shooter title".   ^:)^

On Sunday the tension buster, fun shoot was Parker's Revenge using the Redcoat targets.  One of our teams had it really figured out -- one shot in both the 100 and 200 yard profile (to meet the minimum requirements) , and I believe 7 hits in the "headshot".  Wow!!   :~

Once again, thanks to all -- both the shooters and the instructors who made this first Appleseed shoot at Como a roaring success.  Hope to see you all again at the September Como shoot.  See ya.

Oldfudd

"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

dart67eb

Hot in Mississippi in mid July?  Who'd have thought?   I just wanted to thank all of you who came to this event.  It would have been much easier to stay on the couch than spend two days in the heat.  That shows your determination and patriotism.  Unfortunately, no Riflemen were made but I'm sure that the shooters who return in September will earn the patch if they practice what we taught.

As Fudd said, the range opened a week before and we considered this a shake down shoot.  As the facility matures and grows, Appleseed will do well to remain a key addition here.  I especially appreciated the club members that joined us and I think I can count on them to spread the word.  Our younger shooters conducted themselves in a fine manner and we should be proud of them.

Speaking of September,  I think people should sign up early.  I'll bet we have a full house.  For those of you who braved the heat in July, it should be a piece of cake.   You could probably tell a lot of, "You should've been here...", stories.  I'm just sayin'.

wesm

Regarding the heat:

"At least it wasn't raining!"

"At least there was a breeze blowing!"

At least it wasn't snowing!"   ;D

"At least we weren't faced with a decision as to whether to muster against the British Army one cold April morning in 1775!";

"At least we weren't having to worry about what would happen to ourselves and our families if our revolt failed to succeed!";

"At least we have Ibuprofen, Aloe, hot showers, and air conditioning to go home to, unlike our forefathers who sacrificed so much for us!" 

Of course, even with all that perspective, BIG THANKS to dart67eb for the "Chinese hut" shade assembly that he brought!  It would have been much more taxing on our shooters this weekend in the Mississippi heat without shade on the firing line.

Appleseed is establishing new territory in Mississippi with this Como shoot.  Our first shoot in North MS, I hope and believe that if our Appleseeders will help us with the 7th step, we will soon have sold-out events up here in the future.  OldFudd had developed a great COF for this weekend, and very capably managed a smooth Appleseed.  The Appleseeders showed great respect for our Program, for the history that they heard, and all had that most important element, the "teachable attitude".  The enthusiasm shown by our Designated Marksman (Bishop) was contagious, especially when he got to shoot Joey's FAL. 

This was my first Appleseed away from my home range, and will be a very nice location for future Appleseed events.  Thank you to Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club for opening your range to us for this event!

Most of all, thank you to all of the attendees who braved the summer heat for this inaugural North MS Appleseed event.  Hope to see you all again soon at a future event!
"Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty!" - Samuel Adams

Johnnyappleseed

Well said Wesm O0
You will need to forgive my good friend Dick (Oldfudd) noticing the heat  ;) Dick was a commissioned officer in the US Army ,Captain I believe. As such he was accustomed to an air conditioned quonset hut  **)
Nice job OF ^5 Mississippi is on a roll.
Concerning Hollywood out here  :(
See you on the trail
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

dart67eb

Quote from: oldfudd on July 12, 2010, 12:51:12 PM

Once again shooting at the toy, google eyed redcoats (a really great idea stolen from BAMA) was a big hit, and tension buster on Saturday.  Some of the older shooters looked somewhat skeptical  ++)  when they first heard about this fun shoot, but after busting caps on these tiny, challenging targets, all skepticism seemed to turn to big smiles when they realized just how much of a challenge it was to try to hit a 1/2 inch headshot (google eye) target.  After 5 shooters made the "runoffs", we then still ended up with 2 who successfully were awarded the "world champion google eye shooter title".   ^:)^

According to my math, (remember, I went to government schools) a 2" figure at 25m is equivilant to a 6' figure at 880m.  6' = 72"  72/2 = 36  25m x 36 = 880m    Headshots at 960 yds?  Somebody please check my math!

oldfudd

Quote from: dart67eb on July 12, 2010, 07:52:41 PM

Once again shooting at the toy, google eyed redcoats (a really great idea stolen from BAMA) was a big hit, and tension buster on Saturday.  Some of the older shooters looked somewhat skeptical  ++)  when they first heard about this fun shoot, but after busting caps on these tiny, challenging targets, all skepticism seemed to turn to big smiles when they realized just how much of a challenge it was to try to hit a 1/2 inch headshot (google eye) target.  After 5 shooters made the "runoffs", we then still ended up with 2 who successfully were awarded the "world champion google eye shooter title".   ^:)^

According to my math, (remember, I went to government schools) a 2" figure at 25m is equivilant to a 6' figure at 880m.  6' = 72"  72/2 = 36  25m x 36 = 880m    Headshots at 960 yds?  Somebody please check my math!

Ebben -- see, I tried to tell you how good our shooters were, but at the time you just didn't realize how good!  If the google eye was 1/2 inch in diameter, at 25 meters that works out to 2 MOA.  Not bad, huh?   :o

Dick
~ Patrick Henry

Bama

Congrats on a great shoot and a promising new venue for our beloved Dixie!

Cheers to the volunteers who made Como a success, and especially to Old Fudd for going above and beyond.....

To set the record straight: the idea of practicing on little army men is not mine. I must give the credit to Tennessee's Big Pappa. He told me about practicing on them, and I assumed that he was using them at Appleseeds. Turns out he had just been shooting them at home and had never used them at an AS.

So, if I had an original idea once, I didn't know it.  %)

Hooray for Mississippi!
Hooray for Mississippians!
(and even Honorary Mississippians)

Bama
To usurp supreme & absolute authority...in a free state, and subject it to tyranny, the people must have already become corrupt by gradual steps. And all states necessarily come to this, unless...they are brought back by good laws to their first principles.

-Niccolo Machiavelli (1531)

dart67eb

Quote from: oldfudd on July 12, 2010, 08:14:42 PM
Quote from: dart67eb on July 12, 2010, 07:52:41 PM

Ebben -- see, I tried to tell you how good our shooters were, but at the time you just didn't realize how good!  If the google eye was 1/2 inch in diameter, at 25 meters that works out to 2 MOA.  Not bad, huh?   :o

Dick

We need smaller google eyes.

wesm

I may have failed to mention it earlier, but we owe a real debt of gratitude to OldFudd for volunteering to Shoot Boss this weekend.  You see, although he is in fact an Honorary Mississippian, he resides in Georgia.  That makes for a long haul here and back.  Fudd, I want to personally thank you for making the trek this weekend.  I learned a lot from you, and thought the course of fire you developed was great.

I don't know how you stayed awake for a long drive back to Georgia; I was almost falling asleep just driving back to Jackson!
"Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty!" - Samuel Adams

Johnnyappleseed

Wesm,
Read your internal with regard to your not getting new rifleman . As another honorary Mississippian  ;D -There was nothing more that could have been done  :wall:

Sometimes it seems like a greater plan is in effect , that another AS or 2 makes the achievement so much more valuable . One thing for certain all in Como had the heart of a Rifleman .

Fudd sign up somewhere ,a little closer to Ca. I would love to NCO one of your events   O0

Wesm can SBIT and you and I can sip cool ones !  8)

JA

Calvin Coolidge

dart67eb

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on July 13, 2010, 11:56:24 AM

Wesm can SBIT and you and I can sip cool ones !  8)

That means Fudd'll be doing the same thing he did last time!

Johnnyappleseed

hahahahahaha I know Dart --- I did the same thing  ;D ;D ;D
Where's Raven?  Watching the gators and snakes in Canton?
Hi Jim --hope all is well My Brother
JA
Calvin Coolidge

dart67eb

Next time we'll make Fudd hold up the Chinese House.

wesm

Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on July 13, 2010, 02:21:14 PM
JA

Whaaa....??

I thought you were a USMC non-com?  Y'all are trained to do that too??   ;)

If Fudd and I come out that way, we'll have to take his ride... I don't think we could make it all the way across Texas in the cab of my 'Yota.  Not much luggage room, either.  :-[  I'd love for our paths to cross again soon though. 

Turncoat311

Finally found a chance to register for the forum. Wanted to thank the Hats who volunteered to work the shoot in Como. While i didn't manage to make rifleman, i learned a ton, and with enough time to practice and get some muscle memory i have high hopes for my next appleseed.

Bishop has jumped in, and asked me to thank OldFudd for all the Goggle Eyes to shoot :---

What'd you guys think when Bishop got to shoot Joey's FAL? i don't think i've ever seen a kid have a bigger grin on his face.

Turcotte and Son

dart67eb

Quote from: Turncoat311 on July 13, 2010, 06:12:51 PM

What'd you guys think when Bishop got to shoot Joey's FAL? i don't think i've ever seen a kid have a bigger grin on his face.

Turcotte and Son

It was big, but I can think of a bigger one that you, too will see if Bishop keeps at it.  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=12500.0  I am glad you guys came and hope to be there when you make rifleman. 

wesm

Quote from: Turncoat311 on July 13, 2010, 06:12:51 PM

Finally found a chance to register for the forum. Wanted to thank the Hats who volunteered to work the shoot in Como. While i didn't manage to make rifleman, i learned a ton, and with enough time to practice and get some muscle memory i have high hopes for my next appleseed.

Bishop has jumped in, and asked me to thank OldFudd for all the Goggle Eyes to shoot :---

Turcotte and Son

You guys make it easy to volunteer to staff these things. It was a pleasure getting to know you both.  I hope to see you both at another Appleseed soon! Practice what you learned, and I have no doubts you'll earn the patch at your next event.  Give my best to Bishop, he was great.  Can't wait until my boys are old enough to tag along. 

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: wesm on July 13, 2010, 02:44:51 PM
Quote from: Johnnyappleseed on July 13, 2010, 02:21:14 PM
JA

Whaaa....??

I thought you were a USMC non-com?  Y'all are trained to do that too??   ;)

If Fudd and I come out that way, we'll have to take his ride... I don't think we could make it all the way across Texas in the cab of my 'Yota.  Not much luggage room, either.  :-[  I'd love for our paths to cross again soon though. 

I would enjoy working  with you ,and fudd again Wes O0
Fudd did not mention making his big Mercedes a DAV --( designated appleseed vehicle) probably just skipped his mind  :o
We will keep the light on for you  ^-^
JA
Calvin Coolidge