News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

YOU can make a difference! (5 minute letters work!)

Started by singlethink, July 08, 2010, 05:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

singlethink

This week I witnessed something that I've never experienced before.  I've been lobbying my state senator to vote against AB 2223 (the Lead Ammo Ban) for weeks and urging my friends to do the same.  Two weeks ago, in committee, she voted for it. 

I continued contacting her requesting that she respect the existing rule-making process and change her position.  Last week in committee, she voted against the bill.  It's now dead, done, finished!  This is the first time I can recall her ever voting the way I've requested on a bill important to me.

When enough individuals take the time to rally for something important to them, things can change.  It only takes a few minutes a day.

Cheers,
singlethink

Scarecrow

PHenry

singlethink,
As I always tell people who will listen - it's all about the numbers. A single voice is but a whisper, easily ignored. A million voices shakes the earth and causes elected employees to take notice.

Numbers and time - neither are on our side. Just as our ancestors before us - we hoe the hard roe, with little chance of success and even less guarantees. "But, can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?"

Hence, Fred's obsession with numbers and goals. Our window of opportunity shrinks geometrically as we move forward in time and the number required to make a change grows in the same manner.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

voortrekker

Quote from: singlethink on July 08, 2010, 05:42:54 AM
This week I witnessed something that I've never experienced before.  I've been lobbying my state senator to vote against AB 2223 (the Lead Ammo Ban) for weeks and urging my friends to do the same.  Two weeks ago, in committee, she voted for it. 

I continued contacting her requesting that she respect the existing rule-making process and change her position.  Last week in committee, she voted against the bill.  It's now dead, done, finished!  This is the first time I can recall her ever voting the way I've requested on a bill important to me.

When enough individuals take the time to rally for something important to them, things can change.  It only takes a few minutes a day.

Cheers,
singlethink

singlethink,

THANK YOU for posting your experience and ultimate result.

Also, THANK YOU for being dogged in your efforts to change course in that bill.

I send my reps emails and letters weekly.  I wonder sometimes if they ever do any good, but I will not stop.

Most of the time, I will receive a reply email or a physical letter, usually a month after my correspondence.   Most reply correspondence from my reps is a "cookie cut", ambiguous response.

One time, in 1993, while I was earning my degree in college, I received a reply letter from my districts US House representative, that was signed by his hand.  His name is Ron Paul.   He actually took the time to sign the letter?   My letter to him was simply, thank you for being a guardian of the 2nd Amendment.

It is daunting much of the time wondering if corresponding with one's elected representatives even works these days.

Your recent experience bucks me up that there might be a glimmer of hope, therefore, I will continue corresponding to my reps with vigor as well.

Thanks again for sharing.

Brett out.
If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

Rocket Man

Great post.

If you haven't already, take the time to thank your state senator, too.

Politicians are people too.  We all understand each other much better once we start communicating -- and persist.  Funny how those Rifleman lessons keep popping up, isn't it?   O0
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

LayloPro

Funny how those Rifleman lessons keep popping up, isn't it?

Heh!! RM, I thought I already told ya that...... @) @@)

"Rifleman" is more than a patch, it's a life-choice...... :)

It lives in your head, in your heart, and in your guts, and makes you who you are........ O0 O0 O0

Not as a cloth badge on your arm....... :-\

LLP
"The truth only hurts if you're guilty." 

"Fast / cheap / good....you only get 2....Your choice."

"Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your mind." Lt Col. Dave Grossman.

singlethink

Thank you all for your persistence too... I had the good fortune to discuss effective letter writing with a lobbyist recently and here's what I learned.

1. The most effective method of communicating with our reps in Sacramento is by fax.  Emails are a dime a dozen and paper letters get put aside in the "to read later" pile.  He recommended, if a fax isn't possible, call AND email.  The call will ensure your communication isn't totally ignored and the email will give them more details if some staff actually reads it.

2. Whenever you write, always list the bill number, the bill version, and which way you'd like them to vote in bold at the top.  e.g. Re: OPPOSE AB 2223 as amended  June 23, 2010.  Often this is the only part of the communication that will be read in a timely fashion.  And, if you don't note which version of the bill you're writing about, they won't necessarily know if your comments still apply to the current version.

3. If you're asking them to support a bill, send a copy of your communication to the bill author so that they can ensure that your correspondence is considered in analyses, discussions, etc.

If anyone else has good tips that they've picked up over the years, do share.

Cheers,
singlethink

PHenry

I also like the idea of peaceably assembling in great numbers, such as was done last September in DC. Hard to ignore a million+ people when the entire transportation system gits shut down, and all local traffic come to a dead halt. I especially liked the fact that the grounds were left very clean afterward.  ^-^
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata