News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed at Zia (Albuquerque)

Started by Objekt, July 05, 2010, 05:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Objekt

Has anyone recently contacted Zia Rifle & Pistol Club about hosting an Appleseed event?  It's absolutely ridiculous that one hasn't been done there yet.  It would be very convenient for many Albuquerque residents to attend, as the range is fairly easy to get to.

I brought up the idea of hosting an Appleseed to the Zia board a couple of years ago.  Amazingly, I got ignorant objections from some of the board members, who apparently didn't realize we're a gun club, and that we're supposed to be promoting the exercise of our right to keep and bear arms.  I was shocked and disappointed to learn we had anti-gun idiots on the Zia board.  No one else showed any interest, and that was pretty much the end of it.

Perhaps things are more favorable now.  I haven't broached the idea with our new Club president, but the topic of "Training" did come up at the last Board meeting.  I can think of few other training events that would be more useful to have at Zia than Appleseed.

I'm sure there are some other Zia members on this forum.  Anyone interested in having Zia host an Appleseed?

SamD

If they are willing we'll be glad to have one there.
They'll have to open it up to all comers if they cannot fill the line with pre-registered club members
Set it up.

Sam

BobABQ

I'm not sure where they could fit 25 plus Appleseed shooters at Zia?

BobABQ

I just wanted to say that I am a member of the Zia Rifle & Pistol Club; if anyone wants to inspect the facilities I will gladly give them a tour.

SamD

I haven't been out to ZIA in a long time but don't remember any huge firing lines available.
What do they have these days Bob?
Sam

BobABQ

I'm sure it is probably pretty much how you remember it. There really isn't anywhere we could setup a line nearly as large as at someplace like the City Range.

My offer still stands if someone wants to take a look at the facility if for no other reason than to confirm it isn't Appleseed friendly.

SamD

Devnull is busting hump trying to stay off the unemployment line right now, NMMI9100 may be able to check it out.
Last I remember they had a line useable by about 12 shooters in a pinch, getting ready to close too aren't they?

Almost rather run at the city range again. They have been pretty agreeable, facilities are good and they are positively inclined toward us.
Sam

BobABQ

As I understand it the lease agreement with the city is up for review and renewal in three years. They had a new member orientation today and judging from the number of cars I would guess there were a minimum of 35 new members but the group waiting to enter the indoor airgun/.22 range building I would estimate closer to 50 individuals.

I understand Devnull's position; I just graduated with my engineering degree and I'm attempting to find employment!

I'll be glad to give NMMI9100 a tour whenever he wishes.

Gideon

Hello everyone,
     I realize that I'm really not informed enough to chime in for sites that suit the needs of an AS shoot, but I was wondering if anyone has investigated these sites in the Albuquerque vicinity?  There is a shooting range in Edgewood (http://www.nmbhgc.org/index.php?range)?  There is the Founders Ranch just outside of Edgewood (http://www.sassnet.com/Shoot-Prog-Founders-Ranch-001A.php).  I found this in Los Alamos (http://www.la-sc.org).

I didn't really look into these websites to closely since I'm not aware of the needs for an AS shoot, but I thought maybe one of these might produce fruit.

Gideon

SamD

Hi Gideon,
We have a member at Bighorn and an in that way, but they have almost 8 shooting positions and access is poor.
We entered into discussion with the folks at Founders Ranch too but they have been slow and weak willed. They really aren't interested in Liberty, just shooting in their Halloween costumes.   Del Norte is OK but hard to get to, access is poor and they will only make space available on a very limited basis.   

I have been communicating with the Los Alamos folks but they seem about like the Founders Ranch people, very lukewarm.  Right now we are talking with the people in charge of the range at Camp Luna and a private place in Mayhill.

We have wasted entirely to much time on wishy washy (read candy @$$ed) outfits that are only interested in their personal agenda.   You would think that private clubs would be ideal but that does not seem to be the case.
At this stage of the game, I am personally focusing on private land and public ranges, where we have had no problems at all. Matter of fact down here they are quite happy to see us.

nmmi9100

I think the ABQ city range is probably the best way to go at present. 

Been to Zia plenty and I don't recall a range long enough for us to use.  Bob, next time you are out there, take a measuring device.  Measure the longest firing line and see what they've got.  I think you need about 6 linear feet per shooter...but you can get by with 5 feet.

I'm a member of NM Bighorn Gun Club and next year, I'm going to make the scheduling meeting.  The facilities aren't great but they've got two bays 25-50 meters that we could run about 10 shooters each on.  And a third bay that has 100 yard targets where we could easily run 20 shooters on a standard spacing.

Getting on the schedule is a bitch but I'll go to the next meeting and see what I can do.  They have one annual meeting where the main schedule is set...but maybe we can find a slot somewhere else to start out.  The group is a sucker for kids and women's events so I'll pitch it from that angle.  Only problem is the old sore-heads that want weekends available for informal shooting...they always vote against add'l events once the schedule is set.

-David
Edgewood, NM

SamD

Good Deal David,
It would be great to do Bighorn if we can make it work, If not we'll shoot wherever we can .
We did well with the Abq city range adn I would love to do that 50+ shooter line again