News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramah Aug 28-29 shoot help for my daughter

Started by buffandan, July 07, 2010, 06:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buffandan

Our whole family of 4 will be attending the Ramah CO shoot Aug 28-29.  I'm in a pickle on what to do for my daughter, who will be almost 9 by the date of the shoot.  She is too small to work the action on the Ruger 10-22's I have access to.  In addition, she is left handed.  We've been to the range and tried to see if she could shoot right handed, but it doesn't look promising.  Looks like her dominant eye is her left in addition to her having an obviously better ability to handle the rifle left handed.

Any suggestions or help on what we can do to line up a loaner rifle for her for the shoot?  I know my 10 year old son was lucky enough to have a youth sized rifle loaned to him in a shoot we did in New Mexico earlier this year.  Hoping something similar might be possible.

Thanks and looking forward to introducing my daughter and wife to the appleseed experience!

quietman

Henry makes a youth single action bolt and a youth lever.

Hogue makes a overmolded youth stock with a 12inch length of pull for the 10/22
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=166078

Brownells carries a wood youth stock for the 10/22
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16635/Product/RUGER_reg__10_22_reg__YOUTH_STOCK

If you have other smaller family members, say your wife, here's an option. You can put a youth stock on, then buy a one inch slip on recoil pad. It may look funny with the slip on, but you can easily add one inch to the length of pull with it and make it switch from a youth LOP  (12")to a teen / small person LOP (13") very quickly. Or have a leather stock cover made with a one inch extension built into it.

Limbsaver and Pachmyr make one inch slip ons.

buffandan

quietman..

thanks for the ideas.  Already have a shortened stock that I put on a 10-22 for my son.  Just bought a stock off e-bay for $10 and cut it down.  That's the same rifle we've tried for my daughter.  Problem isn't the stock size/pull length.  It's that she's not strong enough to work the bolt and bolt locking mechanism.

I'll looking into the Henry, but would still like to hear from anyone who will be instructing that shoot on if there might be a loaner available for her to use.  Also concerned about the issue of her being a lefty.

paddymurphy

Have you tried having her work the action from the prone supported on her shoulder with the barrel on a rest?  It may provide additional leverage to let her work the action on the 10-22?  Won't help in other positions but might be a start.

Sorry I can't be more help.

jollymeister

G# Ab G3 Eb

quietman

This thought came to mind:

If you can find an old Nylon 66 in good condition, that my be the ticket. They only weigh 4 lbs empty.

Had one a a kid- loved shooting the darn thing.