News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

This is way off mission but what the hay.

Started by HollywoodMarine, July 02, 2010, 03:25:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HollywoodMarine

I got a question for my fellow Californian's. Is it illegal to convert a saiga to take AK mags and not add any more US made parts? I plan on using only ten round mags   ++)  What has me questioning this is that I can not have more then ten round mags in CA any way so why would it be illegal. Please help  :sos:, you all know how slow I am  ???
A wise man can learn from a fool, but a fool cannot learn even from a wise man.

Embrace the suck!

Dinky Dao

Hollywood,

The high capacity ban may depend on what you have on the rifle (pistol grip, muzzle break, bayo lug, plastic furniture...a non politically correct sticker... ;D :D ;D)

I believe after a certain date, Kalifornia prohibited the sale of rifles that are able to accept a "high capacity" magazine. Double check with the Kalifornia Department of Justice about this.(Use the public library computer if it bothers you that they keep track of who logs on to their website. I'm not implying they do, I'm confirming they do, as (you already know this  %)) I should know.)  O0

Dinky
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"These blast points...too accurate for sandpeople. Only imperial stormtroopers are so precise."

"Wind...is a dirty mistress."

"Matter can neither be created or destroyed. Cosmoline proves it." - Dinky Dao

The ][rishman at Eureka RBC 07-10, " In the famous words of Bill Cosby...Got to bed, you're getting silly."

Dinky's Facebook page: 100% Applesseders. Keep up on the latest Applessed news from all over the country!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1326377533#!

techres

You should also read up on 922r and try to decipher if you would be in violation of it (federal issue, not state).  The issue would be if you are taking it out of a sporter configuration by changing the magwell/feedramp. 

Good luck to you:

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/LegalFederal922rParts

I really do not know the answer to this. 
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

spitstickler

check over on the saiga-12.com  forum. I'm betting someone over there can help guide you down the right path.

another 922r link: http://jobson.us/922r/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

fepowered

Quote from: HollywoodMarine on July 02, 2010, 03:25:50 AM
I got a question for my fellow Californian's. Is it illegal to convert a saiga to take AK mags and not add any more US made parts? I plan on using only ten round mags     What has me questioning this is that I can not have more then ten round mags in CA any way so why would it be illegal. Please help  , you all know how slow I am  
The short answer is YES...   IT would be illegal.  You would be violating 922r which is Federal Law.  A Saiga is entirely composed of imported parts, therefore you must add additional US parts to get the parts count down of the listed applicable parts before modifying it.  You would not be simply repairing the firearm, you are changing the original configuration and therefore "manufacturing" it.  
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

HollywoodMarine

Thanks fepowered you just confirmed my fears for my wee brain.
A wise man can learn from a fool, but a fool cannot learn even from a wise man.

Embrace the suck!

SavageShootr

Dinky!!  :o

I guess I need a new signature line.

Appleseed, taking the K out of California.  :cool2: Hey, that might make a great state motto.   

SS

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

SavageShootr

Sorry HM sometimes I cannot resist a thread drift/hijack.

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete