News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AQT "Cue Card" idea

Started by Unbridled Liberty, June 19, 2010, 11:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbridled Liberty

Not all disabilities are visible.  I had a great time at the Appleseed I went to but I found I had difficulty remembering the details of each stage.  So when I got home I sat down with MS Publisher and made a series of AQT "Cue Cards" to help individuals with memory problems, cognitive disorders and verbal processing difficulties.  I printed a prototype on some Rite in the Rain waterproof paper, which I had laminated and spiral bound.  The size is 4 1/4" x 11".  I laminated the cards so that I could write on them with a grease pencil, and then wipe them clean and reuse them.  As an extra benefit, I printed the opposite (blank) side with the safety rules to help shooters remember what to do at the "cease fire" command.  When I practice, if I forget, say, how many rounds I'm supposed to shoot at which target, a quick glance at the cue card reminds me.  If I place the card in the right place, I don't even have to break cheek weld or sight picture.  Here is a picture of my prototype:

I am open to suggestions for changes.
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

desertrat144

UL,

That's a great idea for anyone; as we get older things tend to slip a bit.  My kids politely call it a 'senior moment', usually followed by some 'reminder' of things (rifles usually) promised to them- NOW!! :D ;D **)

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

eaglescouter

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

tdow

Might I suggest a slight rewording (to make it the same as what the Appleseed instructors are required to do)?

Unload and Clear!
1.  Magazine Out
2.  Bolt Back
3.  Safety On
4.  Chamber Flag In
5.  Rifle Grounded
6.  No One Touching the Rifle

Good Work!!!

nyrasgt

UL et. al.,
   Concur - well done -  as well as excellent for any/all AS shooters; I've been posting AQTs with round count/time in huge letters and have seen many senior instructors distribute sheets containing The Basics of making rifle safe-firing the shot-SHFs of positions, etc-mini-reference card AT the shooter's firing position, to which he or she can refer at any time...why trust an already overloaded memory?
   We do the same thing for many areas in which we need to remember/review large amounts of information; I have a whole set of cards enumerating the practical skills stations for the EMT test taken every 3 years, as well as others for the firearms and other areas of the Security Guard and Peace Officers classes I teach at NYRA.
   Truth be told, my (first) Rifleman target has large marker numbers I wrote on it, both to remind me of the round count and time...also served to make me sure I was shooting at my own target...
Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

Devnull

I really like the idea. Do you have a PDF of it?

I did notice a mistake though. Stage 3 of the AQT, Standing to Prone has a time limit of 65 seconds or 1:05.

Just so you can make sure their correct.

Stage 1: 10 rounds one mag. Standing. 2:00
Stage 2: 2 & 8 rounds, 5 in each of the two targets. Standing to seated. :55 Transition without the rifle loaded.
Stage 3: 2 & 8 rounds, 3 in the first target, 3 in the second target and 4 in the third target. Standing to prone. 1:05 Transition without the rifle loaded.
Stage 4: 10 rounds. 2 in the first target, 2 in the second target, 3 in the third target and 3 in the fourth target. Prone. 5:00

Hope that helps!
"What the heck. I haven't volunteered for something in oh say 6 hours."

Unbridled Liberty

Tom,

Thanks for moving this to its own thread.

I don't have a PDF yet.  This is just a prototype.  My wife is creating original artwork for the shooting positions so that we don't have any copyright infringement issues.  Plus I wanted the feedback y'all are providing before creating the final version.

Does everyone concur with a change on the cease fire card as follows:
Unload and Clear!
1.  Magazine Out
2.  Bolt Back
3.  Safety On
4.  Chamber Flag In
5.  Rifle Grounded

As far as the times, I left them blank because, from the Appleseed I went to, it seems there is some leeway there with instructors.  The shooter can then write the time in with a grease pencil.  Is this not correct?  If the times are always the same, I will print them on the cards.

I did not put the transitions on the cards because I could not figure out a way to it without making the cards seem too cluttered.  I figure that the instructors will make sure everyone is standing with unloaded rifles before firing commences. 

Keep the suggestions coming...
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Unbridled Liberty

Directions- (here is how I made my set):
1. Print the attached PDF's on 8 1/2" x 11" paper and then cut them in half lengthwise, so they measure 4 1/4" x 11" (see original picture above).  There are four different pages, and each page will produce two identical cards.  So you will have two sets of cue cards when you are done.
2.  I printed mine on Rite in the Rain waterproof paper with a greenish tint.  The idea being that the green tint will not produce as much glare as white paper.  I used waterproof paper because even though I laminated them, I trimmed the edges, thus exposing the paper along the edges.
3.  I will also post a cease fire safety cue card shortly.  If you want, you can put the AQT cue cards back into the printer (before cutting the sheets in half) upside down, and print a cease fire safety cue card on the back of each one.
4.  After I had the cards printed on both sides, I had them laminated at Office Depot, trimmed them, and then had them spiral bound along the top edge, also at Office Depot
5.  To use the cards, I lay them on the ground in a spot where I can easily look at them without breaking cheek weld.  If visibility in the prone position is a problem, you can prop them against something.  If windy, a tent stake and a spring clip should keep them upright.
6.  I use a grease pencil (Office Depot) to write the target number on each card.  It can easily be erased and reused.
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Gramma Goats

As a new shooter i would be helped if the first of the THREE showed 2-1 /3 /4  since you shoot 2, mag change, one....then 3....4

Same on bottom row.

Quote from: unbridled_liberty on June 19, 2010, 11:48:44 PM
Not all disabilities are visible.  I had a great time at the Appleseed I went to but I found I had difficulty remembering the details of each stage.  So when I got home I sat down with MS Publisher and made a series of AQT "Cue Cards" to help individuals with memory problems, cognitive disorders and verbal processing difficulties.  I printed a prototype on some Rite in the Rain waterproof paper, which I had laminated and spiral bound.  The size is 4 1/4" x 11".  I laminated the cards so that I could write on them with a grease pencil, and then wipe them clean and reuse them.  As an extra benefit, I printed the opposite (blank) side with the safety rules to help shooters remember what to do at the "cease fire" command.  When I practice, if I forget, say, how many rounds I'm supposed to shoot at which target, a quick glance at the cue card reminds me.  If I place the card in the right place, I don't even have to break cheek weld or sight picture.  Here is a picture of my prototype:

I am open to suggestions for changes.
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Gramma Goats

I think it would work if you just WROTE ' at the top'
Standing to Prone
Shoot Prone Slow Fire

quote author=unbridled_liberty link=topic=14520.msg121123#msg121123 date=1277208916]
Tom,

Thanks for moving this to its own thread.

I don't have a PDF yet.  This is just a prototype.  My wife is creating original artwork for the shooting positions so that we don't have any copyright infringement issues.  Plus I wanted the feedback y'all are providing before creating the final version.

Does everyone concur with a change on the cease fire card as follows:
Unload and Clear!
1.  Magazine Out
2.  Bolt Back
3.  Safety On
4.  Chamber Flag In
5.  Rifle Grounded

As far as the times, I left them blank because, from the Appleseed I went to, it seems there is some leeway there with instructors.  The shooter can then write the time in with a grease pencil.  Is this not correct?  If the times are always the same, I will print them on the cards.

I did not put the transitions on the cards because I could not figure out a way to it without making the cards seem too cluttered.  I figure that the instructors will make sure everyone is standing with unloaded rifles before firing commences. 

Keep the suggestions coming...
[/quote]
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Gramma Goats

BTW --THESE are great.... i have been known to write the sequence on my forearm. Great job

Unbridled Liberty

Quote from: Gramma Goats on July 29, 2010, 11:34:21 PM
As a new shooter i would be helped if the first of the THREE showed 2-1 /3 /4  since you shoot 2, mag change, one....then 3....4

Same on bottom row.

Great suggestion, thank you.  I'll make the change.

As far as the standing to _______, refresh my memory, which stages start out standing and then change?
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

SavageShootr

Quote from: Gramma Goats on July 29, 2010, 11:34:21 PM
As a new shooter i would be helped if the first of the THREE showed 2-1 /3 /4  since you shoot 2, mag change, one....then 3....4

Same on bottom row.

I don't tell people which way to shoot the AQT left to right or right to left. So if I shoot right to left, I would place two rounds in the target, mag change, two more rounds in the same target, then shift to the middle target, placing three rounds in the center target, then shift to the left target and place three rounds in it. So on the third stage, I just tell them 3 - 3 - 4.

BTW I do not shoot it that way but I know people that do.

SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

SavageShootr

Quote from: unbridled_liberty on July 30, 2010, 06:43:22 PM

As far as the standing to _______, refresh my memory, which stages start out standing and then change?

Stage 2 Rapid fire sitting/kneeling. Transition standing to sitting/kneeling, 5 rounds in each target, time 55 seconds, magazines 2 + 8.
Stage 3 Rapid fire prone. Transition standing to prone, 3 - 3 - 4, time 65 seconds, magazines 2 + 8.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.

SavageShootr

UL

I think these cards are a great idea. I have seen people put a notebook on the line at eye level with the six steps. Do you include those in there as well?

SS

Unbridled Liberty

I thought of somehow putting the six steps on these, but I decided I wanted them small, and I also wanted to reserve the back side of each card to have the cease fire safety steps.  I think the six steps could go on a separate cue card of the same basic configuration though.  I'll try to work on that...
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Coaster

I'm working on a different project but this seemed like a good thread to ask in.

What is the minimum prep time that is given before each stage?
Coaster

theri

Quote from: unbridled_liberty on July 31, 2010, 02:21:47 AM
The Cue Cards Beta 2 version with suggested changes are now attached above.  Please let me know what you think. 

I don't believe that should be a magazine change on Stage 4.
Whiskey Tango 9

9mm4545

There is no mag change on stage 4. Rifle is loaded with 10 rounds at the start. The prep period is somewhat flexible and determined by the line boss. 1-2 minutes seems fairly normal but the line boss can make it more or less depending on his penchant for driving the shooters.  ~~:)
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Vee Kay

Thanks for posting the AQT Cue Card.......This will be very helpful for when I am practicing and for the next shoot I attend...Great idea.  O0

Vonnie
Honoring the memory of my ancestor Elisha Simpson, private in the North Carolina Militia and veteran of the American Revolutionary War.

Unbridled Liberty

QuoteI don't believe that should be a magazine change on Stage 4.

OK, thank you Theri.  Appleseed AQT Cue Cards Beta 3 4 now posted.  Please everyone check this for correct course of fire, times, spelling, etc.  Let's put this thing to bed!
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

dragit

Stage 4 is 2 2 3 3, not 3 3 2 2 as shown on the version I see posted by unbridled liberty in the post above this one. O0
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

Unbridled Liberty

Thank you dragit, it's now fixed.  Devnull also mentioned this earlier but I missed it.  Beta 4 version now posted.
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Beaker

These cards are great!!!  O0

Was just making up my notebook before attending my first shoot in a couple weeks.
You have done all the work for me.

You should send these on to Fred to include in his Riflemans Guide.

Excellent work

Unbridled Liberty

Thank you Beaker et al.  Glad to help. 
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

wooldl

Great idea and great work to all involved.

Thank you!
"Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present generation, to preserve your Freedom! " - John Adams

AQT Dryfire Practice mp3 files: http://www.4shared.com/folder/559qijqr/My_4shared_Sync.html

desertrat144

Quote from: unbridled_liberty on August 05, 2010, 10:21:00 PM
Thank you Beaker et al.  Glad to help. 

I finally got Beta 4 to open don't ask! Great job!

Re: your earlier question, I think you've answered it elegantly.  What you are doing is right on so many levels.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan