News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Flat Stanley? Flat Drummer Boy?

Started by techres, June 28, 2010, 03:44:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

So those of you with small kids probably know about Flat Stanley:

http://www.flatstanleyproject.com/

You cut out a flat stanley and report back on where he went and what he did with pictures, etc.  It's a big thing at public schools and is used to talk about places and activities.  Parents deploying overseas even take one with them and send back pics about what they are doing.

So, I figure we have two possibilities here.  One - how many seeds has flat stanley been to?  I dunno.  Maybe he needs to go.

Second, if not flat stanley, then what about something similar with a flat drummer boy?  Could include a nice lesson plan for the home schoolers as an add on with a list of additional readings to follow on with.  Could be a way to explain to kids what their parents are up to for the weekend if the kids are too small to attend.  This is true for both attendees and instructors.

Either way it would be fun, interesting, educational, and Appleseed.

Parents?  What do you think?
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

slim

Not a parent, but I might just get me a Flat Rifleman!

This is a very cool idea.

techres

Quote from: slim on June 28, 2010, 03:55:16 PM
Not a parent, but I might just get me a Flat Rifleman!

This is a very cool idea.

I think stanley is supposed to be a kid (i.e. a proxy for other kids) so more like rifleboy, or something.  But, yeah, I think there is something here that could work.  Maybe one goes with me to Riley at the end of the month. 

Another D.O.M.

This is a very neat idea indeed!  When our daughter was in sixth grade, I believe, the class did something similar w/ a Teddy Bear.  If I recall, her bear made it as far as E. Germany, and missed a trip to Moscow by a few hours (it missed the plane).  These flat travelers could be named after real fifers/drummers from the Revolutionary era and carry their real stories with them to wherever they went.  It'd be a fantastic way to spread the message of liberty and the sacrifices that were made to retain it.
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

eaglescouter

If the flat traveler will be visiting school it probably should not show any firearms.  It would be a shame for our efforts to cause a suspension due to violation of rules.  (silly or not, they are school rules)
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

AFTERMATH

Quote from: eaglescouter on June 28, 2010, 07:01:14 PM
If the flat traveler will be visiting school it probably should not show any firearms.  It would be a shame for our efforts to cause a suspension due to violation of rules.  (silly or not, they are school rules)

I'm having trouble believing a picture of a firearm would be enough grounds for suspension.  Though the teacher may not like it.  If there were any issues to arrise; I gurentee a thoughough look through a history text book would produce at least one image.  Even the anti-gun agenda they show produces images of firearms.  So, in the end, while it may cause inconvenience, they're still generally terrified of a parent causing a scene.
Granted, I've got no children to put through school.  I'm not that far from the age to remember how it went there.  And I do clearly recall an incident in which a teacher tried to confiscate a 'Guns and Ammo' magazine from me, and follow up with discipline.  Let's just say, I wasn't the one who recieved an education that day.
IMNSHO-(I just learned what IMNSHO ment  :D)

Anyway; this is an interesting idea and my primary reason for posting is so I remember to follow up and investigate further when time allows.

p.s.  Should anyone, as a result of what I've stated, end up with a child that is suspended for possessing something that shows a firearm(assuming it's just the firearm...  A pic of a firearm shooting the teacher will not qualify, just as a calander from R Guns won't) I volunteer myself to go and speak with their teachers/principle/school board.  I may be able to enlighten them. ;)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Cookie Lady

Unfortunately I must report that where my kids went to school in MD drawing a picture of a firearm was technically a suspendable action. The one or two times I heard of such an incident, the teacher quietly threw the picture away. Sad state of affairs, if you ask me.

Cookie Lady

AFTERMATH

Well it is a sad state indeed.....

I feel my post is getting this off topic; so I've struck it, in an effort to to return to the subject at hand.

As you were,

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

techres

Here is a more formulated set of thoughts:

1. Flat Stanley goes to an Appleseed and Meets Flat Sam the Minuteman (ties into the book in the Appleseed Store).  Flat Sam teaches Flat Stanley all that we do at an Appleseed at a level that a 4-5 year old.

2. Flat Sam then Travels the US to different Appleseeds with pics of each talking about how people & places may seem different, but we are one Nation and One Appleseed.  Again, kid appropriate and full of fun and pictures.

3. Flat Sam might then later sign on and try to help out as a worker or trainer or something.  Something that shows his 7th step...

In any event, taking 1 or all 3, these are full of ways to explain to our kids what we do when we leave to go to a seed, they are a way to tell an older kid what to expect at a see, and a perfect way to encourage additional learning through study of history and experience for home schoolers or for public school kids doing home projects.

That is more or less the idea.

I am thinking more and more strongly that this idea has legs!

Techres

P.S. Yeah, schools have no sense of balance about even drawings these days, but that should not impede on what we can do for our kids.  We can just be careful.