News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kaysville UT June 26/27 2010 AAR

Started by V, June 28, 2010, 12:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V

Another fun weekend at Kaysville.

First of all I'd like to say a big thank you on behalf of everyone to Dave (Rifleman2000) and his family. Dave lives five minutes from the range and to keep RWVA's costs down he transports me from the airport and puts me up at his home. He has joined the range to become a range master there so that he can get a key and give us guaranteed access to the ranges on time. He provides innumerable rifles for loan to his friends and neighbors who he is getting to attend these shoots. He was kind enough to host the recent IBC at his house and again host me, one-of-three and two-of-three at their house for the weekend. On behalf of the shooters and instructors - Thank you Dave.

For this weekend we also had a good supply of Instructors in Training (IIT). Burnt Patch (Rob) and rifleman2000 (Dave) were here for both days and two-of-three (Trent) for Saturday. The Painter family were out from Las Vegas exercising their committment to not only help out in Nevada but neighboring states as well. RangeRat (Dan) and SniperCat (Bobbi) and their son Persistent_1 (Zach) were there along with Chelsea their daughter at her second AS with boyfriend Colton. Chelsea shot her Rifleman score of 210 on Sunday and joined the rest of her family under the Orange Hat - congratulation Chelsea.

Saturday we started with 16 shooters but they tailed off quickly with a combination of fatigue and prior commitments. While its frustrating that some came to take a peek at the AS thing and couldn't stay for the whole weekend or day, at least they came and will spread the word. Many of these were mum's and son's who I commend for coming out to check out AS on Saturday despite this weekend being a big Eagle Scouting event that they were all simultaneously preparing for. So I hope to see you all again at the next one when things are less hectic. LeeAnn and Austin, Nancy, Ashley and Jayden, Shelly and Ryan and Cathy.

We had eight shooters who stayed all of Saturday. Trent's son Mark was with us, walk-ons Jim and son Laramie. Our two day guys were Brian and Troy shooting centerfire. Finally we had walkon Mike, a neighbor of Dave's borrowing one of Dave's rifles.

Sunday we had four shooters, Brian and Troy returning for day two and Chelsea and Colton. So having been sun-burned all day Saturday we moved to the smaller adjacent range under cover for Sunday.

As before the Wasbach range were great hosts very helpful. Only bad thing all weekend was we only found out Saturday afternoon about the 11-4 only shooting hours on Sunday! Previous Kaysville shoots had been unrestricted Fri/Sat shoots and the previous Sat/Sun no one enforced the rules so we got away with it. One of those restrictive conditions the range has to work under. We met early for history and then shot through the recap and onto AQTs to make the most of the time with only a quick grab a bite to eat lunch break.

Once again, thank you to everyone who turned out and congratulations to our new Riflewoman and IIT Chelsea (let us know your screen name).

Cheers
V

Two-of-Three

Chelsea got her Rifleman?!  w00t-w00t!  ^:)^   Way to hang in there, Chelsea!  That's the rifleman's spirit, keep plugging away; ignore frustrations from the past -- they're in the past.  I even witnessed a safely executed hot-brass boogie when a hot casing snuck in and got her in the small of the back between shirt and pants.  That muzzle barely moved while she was fishing the offending brass out.  Excellent (muzzle) discipline.  It doesn't surprise me that she got her rifleman score, though; I watched her plenty, trying to coach, and she was shootin' by the numbers.  It was just a matter of time.

It was really fun to not-hear Troy's .223 bolt-action.  He was working it hard, and just needs to train out that snappy trigger release and I think he'll be there.  ("FOLLOW-THROUGH, Troy!")  He was getting decent groups and just needs to spend some quality time with that trigger.

I'm glad Mike stuck around despite his frustration.  Again, there's a Rifleman building there.

I was bummed my son and I couldn't come back for the second day, but it sure got the rest of my older kids salivating so we'll see how many I have to find rifles for so we can all come to the next Kaysville shoots in July and September.  (I was hard to explain to my four year-old that he's going to have to wait quite a while before attending.)

As has been echoed many times, I wish we could swing more Fri+Sat shoots.  That means IN-STATE INSTRUCTORS; I'm workin' on it.  Let's keep encouraging each other to do the same and build up Utah.

By the way, V, my work buddy Jim really enjoyed your telling of the History.  For him, that alone was worth the price of admission.  Every time I hear the way you blend everything into one smooth telling ... well, I just get goosebumps and can't wait to get back to the books!   :bow:

Thanks for a great shoot, all!  (And a big thanks to those who came to help who had to travel longer than I!)
... one bullet at a time.

DesertDog

Awesome!!  A whole family of Instructors.  The Painters do so much to help spread the word and help with Boulder City, I can't say enough about them.

I always look forward to working with you fine Americans whether it's at BC or Gardnerville
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for lunch.....Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

lccmonkey

The 11 to 4 thing is bull.

We had the range for the whole day, I will contact the board of the range about this.

Anytime you have problems with the range just call me.

See you in sept, and thank you everyone for stepping up!!
From my cold dead hands.

RangeRat

Finally got settled back in after vacation and am getting caught up....

Our crew had a great time and more importantly we had the opportunity to work with some fine shooters and instructors.  As an IIT, I can't express the satisfaction in helping and seeing shooters improve over the course of a weekend.

We came to support our daughter in her quest to shoot a 210 which she did (exactly); her acceptance of the orange hat now makes it 5 for 5 in our household!