News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru Ca June 19-20 2010

Started by Dano, June 21, 2010, 12:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

It was another great Piru Appleseed. With 26 shooters on the line Saturday and 13 on Sunday. If youth are the future of shooting sports in this country we did our part this weekend. We had 10 children under 18 Sunday and six on Sunday. We had a lot of new shooters who started out with no shots on paper for the first red coat. By the end of the weekend everyone was shooting great  groups.  We also had had one Rifleman, Tim Rousseau who is Jacques son and Jessica's brother. This is becoming the Rifleman Family. Tim shot a 218 and stepped up to take an orange hat. What a great way to celebrate Fathers Day.

A big thank you to all the Instructors who showed up; Hollywood Marine, Camljr, Jessica, Jacques, Tom and Steve; I could not have done it without you.

Most of the people were shooting in the 130 to 160 ranges. Dave, a friend of Rock-Chucker's was knocking on the door with consistent 180's and very nice groups on the 400 meter targets. Shawn was another shooter who never gave up and shot an AK 74 all weekend and the M-1 Garand.

The weather was great with temps in the 80's and mild breezes.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

Camljr

Great bunch of shooters to work with... One addition to Dano's post.  I believe it was Carl shot a 194 with 7 dropped shots in stage 2.

He would have shot rifleman if he had come back Sunday, but was beat as he drove up 4+ hours from San Diego to be there Saturday morning... made for a long day for him.

I took some photos Saturday... here they are.

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Camljr

here is the rest...

96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

rock-chucker

Man, what a shoot!  I sure do like to see so many young shooters and new shooters learning the art of the rifle and their heritage!

Congratulations, Tim!  Well done with a 218.  No "squeaker" there!  That's a solid rifleman score!  Kudos on stepping into orange.  Welcome aboard!

Congratulations to you too Jacques.  It's hard to imagine having a better Father's day.  You are justifiably proud of your family!

I'm really glad that some of my friends and colleagues were in attendance.  Can't wait to hear all about it when I get into the office this morning!  Hope you had as much fun at this event as I did thinking about you being there this weekend. 

Great job (as always) Danno and the Appleseed staff!  Thanks to all who chose to spend their Father's Day weekend at Appleseed.

Steve

Johnnyappleseed

Good shoot -- Thanx for the pix  O0
Congratulations the new Rifleman.
JA
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

jacques

This was a great shoot. Ya know, when my kids asked what I wanted to do for fathers day, I told them I would be at Piru and if they wanted to spend the day with me, to show up. And there they were.

Day 2 Pics.

Kyle hung in there really good, even with a bad back from the day before. Down on the end there with Shawn, I belive this is the second AS I have seen Shawn at, these two and (the name that escapes me) on the very other end all stuck it out to the end of Sunday. This was a great AS.
Two Words-Meriams Corner

jacques

more
Two Words-Meriams Corner

jacques

and more
Two Words-Meriams Corner

AFTERMATH

I don't know how you all seem to find the time to take so many pics.   ::)
But I'm greatful for it!  This way I can experience all the great things about California without actually going there!  :cool2:

Congratulations to Tim!

Great work ALL!!!

O0

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

wurzel22

This was my first Appleseed event and I came with five other first-timers as well, two of whom had never used firearms before, and another who brought his AK47. So, we spanned the experience gamut for sure. :-)

All of us had a really fantastic time.  The instruction was excellent, and the instructors were all exceedingly friendly and helpful.  The range was pleasant (thanks for the shade canopies!) and when we started to run low on water, they had jugs for us to refill our bottles.  It truly was a very well-run event, leaving us to focus on improving our skills.

I posted my "before" and "after" redcoat targets on my cube wall at work with an Appleseed brochure and a sign that says "How to turn THIS (arrow to lame target) into THIS (arrow to "after" target with much tighter groups.).  So far, HR hasn't made me take it back down. 

Thanks again to everyone who helped put this together.  It was well worth the drive up from San Diego.  We're looking forward to the next one in Escondido.

One note for future Piru attendees... Given the choice between camping at the range and camping at Lake Piru, we chose Lake Piru.  If we had it to do again, we'd camp out at the range. The Piru campsite was $27 per vehicle, and there were 200 campsites basically in a parking lot, not a pleasant nature experience at all.  Save your money for more ammo and camp near the range.  :-)