Author Topic: Appleseed wants you....  (Read 7997 times)

Offline SamD

• Inactive Instructor
Appleseed wants you....
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:32:23 PM »
To help us put together a design for a sticker.
Something that we can post just about anywhere, notebooks, locker doors, equipment bags cars, doors of gunshops you name it.

Here are some of the guidelines we have to work with:

It has to fit within a 3"x3" square
that could be a square ,round, oval or whatever shape that fits into a 3" square

It has to have the website address on it either RWVA.org or Appleseedinfo.org
Can be in color
can't be a take off from someone else's site or artwork unless you mail me a release for it.
Can't be a copy of anyone else's words.

You need to be able to see it from a distance, has to catch the eye
incite curiosity so that when people see it, they will want to check us out.

We will be doing several so just post a bundle of them.
I'll take artwork, fancy wording just throw some ideas right here in this thread.

I'll quit looking at midnight next Saturday the 12th and start putting things together

let's see what great stuff you can come up with.

Thanks in advance and we'll see ya on the trail.

Anything you post becomes Appleseed Property

Sam
   Don't ask me, I'm ineffective!
"If you don't write it down, it never happened"
"Fancy schmancy tools have never been a suitable replacement for hard won skill, just a crutch for the motivationally challenged"

Offline CortJestir

• designated Shoot Boss
Re: Appleseed wants you....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 12:11:48 AM »
Second time's a charm, I suppose. Here's my final four. I may have some other ideas later on this week...

ETA: Not sure if "Can you shoot like a girl?" is too close to "Shoot like a girl...if you can.", but I'm throwing it out there anyway.  :P

D-Silhouette

Can you shoot like a girl?

No Redcoats (Full)

No Redcoats (Simple)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 12:19:17 AM by CortJestir »
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:27:49 AM »
PRESERVE OUR HERITAGE
 PRACTICE REGULARLY
APPLESEED.ORG

All this on a D shaped target - redcoat style not with the score rings.

My art skills aren't sharp right now
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:07:14 AM by Sprocket »

Offline Chrome

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:04:01 PM »
http://img180.imageshack.us/i/rwva.jpg/  <- original full size

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This can also be quickly converted to the OD, Tan, or Purple colors like the Rifleman patches.

Later,
Chrome...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 12:07:13 PM by Chrome »
Montani Semper Liberi

Offline SamD

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 10:53:14 PM »
BTT
"Fancy schmancy tools have never been a suitable replacement for hard won skill, just a crutch for the motivationally challenged"

Offline SamD

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 03:18:09 PM »
I cannot believe we are gitting so little response.
Fred, they must be watching TV again  :'(

Offline AFTERMATH

• Senior Instructor-RBC/IBC
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 06:44:17 PM »

Quotes ok?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Offline dart67eb

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Cameron. Back by popular demand.
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 07:22:05 PM »
I like the first two. 

Second time's a charm, I suppose. Here's my final four. I may have some other ideas later on this week...

ETA: Not sure if "Can you shoot like a girl?" is too close to "Shoot like a girl...if you can.", but I'm throwing it out there anyway.  :P

D-Silhouette

Can you shoot like a girl?

No Redcoats (Full)

No Redcoats (Simple)

Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

Offline SamD

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 11:17:42 PM »
Quotes are OK long as we say who we are quoting (can be teeny tiny print)

Offline Sprocket

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 12:13:53 AM »
I adjusted my post up there

I would suggest promoting what we are over the "no redcoats" type - no sense in putting anything down when we're trying to promote us - except bad shooting skills and lack of activity

How about

a small D target with

"Follow me to an Appleseed"

Oval with

210+ (large)
Appleseed.org (as part of the outer "ring")

or

Appleseed.org

What about our Rifleman patch with Appleseed.org underneath?  We've already got a "brand" with that image...

just brainfarting some ideas here - don't want to see Sam get flogged...

Offline TrebleShooter

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Piru three-ten :D
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 01:26:59 AM »
I'm loving the pink!!  So, hypothetically speaking, how soon would these be available? 
Great work CortJestir!
I like the 04.19.1775 with rwva.org underneath it too.....
I'd love to have some!
Keep up the good work guys!

Offline yellowhousejake

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 01:39:18 AM »
Here are my thoughts after reading both threads on the sticker idea. Short and sweet.

If we want to do something viral, let's put up a website offering free targets for download. Woodchucks, bullseyes (NRA regulation sizes), scaled D targets, crows, clowns, whatever. Put the Appleseed URL at the bottom of every one. Then advertise everywhere that we have free targets for download.

Teenagers are getting a bad rap these days, they are smarter and more aware than anyone gives them credit for. We do not need to pander to them. Just because we make a Skater design does not mean they will want to go to an Appleseed. SexWax Tees and stickers were very popular here in the midwest for a year or so, but there was no string of boys heading for California to become surfers. My personal opinion as the father of two teenage boys (and a host of pseudo sons who seem to always be about for a meal) is that there will be little return for the investment.

My experience with logos and design is that if your logo/design cannot be reproduced in monocrome, it has little use. Think the Ford oval, the Chevrolet bowtie, the Nike swoop, the Target Stores bullseye. We need to simplify, simplify, simplify if the goal is a recognizable logo for the sticker..

The selected bumper sticker could be reproduced with backgrounds in red, blue, black, and green. To better blend in with any car color.

Or, drop bumper stickers and go with cling stickers so people (like me) who would never ever put a bumper sticker on their car, can put them in their windows. Which by the way, is at EYE level to the driver behind them.

As to phrases that catch the eye, we already have two fantastic ones.

"13 Colonies, One Nation, One People, One Day..."   

"Where marksmanship met history, and the heritage began..." 

Both are clean, simple, inspiring, and just cryptic enough to illicit wonder about the Appleseed Project.

Just my random thoughts, late at night.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Offline Chrome

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 04:08:24 PM »
Per Request

Also, How about?

I left the .org out for a reason.  Now, it's less of an advertisement, just like the original OBX ones.  The goal is to spur curiosity so the person types RWVA in their browser and gets directed to RWVA.org

Later,
Chrome...
Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Scarecrow

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 04:18:41 PM »
Might print the Red Coats in red ink instead of B&W on the "no red coats" theme.
Even in red, many may not make the connection with RC's/British Regulars.

Offline B9

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 07:37:38 PM »
Per Request

Also, How about?

I left the .org out for a reason.  Now, it's less of an advertisement, just like the original OBX ones.  The goal is to spur curiosity so the person types RWVA in their browser and gets directed to RWVA.org

Later,
Chrome...

The Grand Union flag one is great! It will make people wonder what you are up to. If you used the Taunton flag  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Taunton_Flag_%28United_States%29.svg it could say History, Heritage and Marksmanship across the top. Liberty would still be represented.
Either version has the new born America and the ties to England.

Thanks Chrome. I don't know how to make images like that.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:17:53 PM by B9 »
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Offline voortrekker

• Inactive Instructor
  • Davilla 1107, 1108, 0209, 1109, 1110
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 02:33:41 AM »
To help us put together a design for a sticker.
Something that we can post just about anywhere, notebooks, locker doors, equipment bags cars, doors of gunshops you name it.

Here are some of the guidelines we have to work with:

It has to fit within a 3"x3" square
that could be a square ,round, oval or whatever shape that fits into a 3" square

It has to have the website address on it either RWVA.org or Appleseedinfo.org
Can be in color
can't be a take off from someone else's site or artwork unless you mail me a release for it.

You need to be able to see it from a distance, has to catch the eye
incite curiosity so that when people see it, they will want to check us out.

We will be doing several so just post a bundle of them.
I'll take artwork, fancy wording just throw some ideas right here in this thread.

I'll quit looking at midnight next Saturday the 12th and start putting things together

let's see what great stuff you can come up with.

Thanks in advance and we'll see ya on the trail.

Anything you post becomes Appleseed Property

Sam

Sam,

What is the purpose of this new sticker proposal?

1) Is it simply for some new/different Appleseed/RWVA stickers?

OR

2) Is it geared toward a trademark type sticker?

If it is 1), this will be good, fun etc, personally I like to collect new RWVA stickers etc.

However, if it is geared towards 2)  EVERYONE needs to think for a looooong time on what "our" trademark sticker will be, (thinking stickers on vehicles commonly seen, i.e. NRA, Marine Corps, Army, etc.)

If it is geared toward 2) :

1.  Many of we good folks at RWVA need to think for a time (at least a month) on what "our" trademark sticker will be.  In addition, IMHO, we need to make a poll on the forum for all RWVA members to take on which sticker they'd like to represent RWVA/Appleseed.

2.  If this sticker is geared towards a "trademark" sticker, I would like for everyone reading this thread to THINK about those stickers you commonly see on the road on other vehicles AND why they captured your attention.   <----   This is important.  There is a reason they captured your attention.

Personally, the stickers that capture my attention on vehicles that I see on the road are the NRA and Marine Corps stickers.   Not because they look terrific, but because I recognize the design, and therefore, (as corny as it sounds) they are likely to be on my "team" so to speak.   Even from a good distance, I recognize these stickers as trademarks.   <---------- this is very important.   This needs to be considered extra especially for a RWVA/Appleseed trademark sticker.

IMHO, I think the designs put forth so far are good and very creative.   They are good sticker designs.

I do not think they are suitable for a RWVA/Appleseed trademark sticker ;  however.

What will be difficult to identify as a sticker from a distance?  (invision yourself driving in traffic)

What will you be able to identify easily?  (invision yourself driving in traffic)

Any sticker, red, white and blue of a flag is not a good option, IMHO, becuase so many folks have a red, white and blue sticker of a flag on their vehicles that is not within any affiliation with RWVA/Appeseed.

What I invision, is a trademark sticker.  ( I believe we are due for it, RWVA est. 2006 and numbers growing stronger than any firearms/heritage organization that I've known).

A trademark sticker, that anyone, that's on our team, can see from a distance(50-60 yds) and identify and say to themselves, "That's an Appleeseder, he/she, they're good people."  We all know what being an Appleseeder means, Right?  REALLY down deep in our heart and soul :  HONOR, KNOWLEDGE, FORTITUDE, TEMPERANCE.........and a whole lot more that I don't have time to elaborate on at present.

What I invision, is a trademark sticker.

1)  Has information on it so folks can quickly find us in this wonderful medium of communication, the internet.

2) Personally, I like the oval patch design.  It's already well known in the Appleseed realm and in the gun culture(somewhat) and well liked.  It is very much "distinct"...original per say.

3) Once seen, it is immediately recognized from a distance.

Given the above,  I believe a design using the OD green RWVA oval patch WITH a border of contrasting color(white/off white?) with appleseedinfo.org on top and below is a good candidate for a trademark RWVA/Appleseed sticker.

Why this design?

It is distinct from a distance by the contasting colors(white/off white border with a centered oval of OD green) and IMPORTANTLY will NOT be mistaken by others that it is possibly something else other than RWVA/Appleseed.

The "Minuteman", on the oval patch, Isaac Davis, as we know him, is classic and traditional.  It is an instant symbol to Americans that are on our team.

The contact information via internet can still be seen on this sticker.  White background(border) black letters, Appleseedinfo.org.

If this is gonna be a trademark sticker, every forum member and ESPECIALLY our Instructors really need to start chiming in on this subject post-haste.

Once it's done, it's gonna be done.   So speak up.    O0

Brett

If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

Offline yellowhousejake

• Inactive Instructor
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 11:22:54 AM »
I would echo voortrekker's comments. If we have a sticker, it should be the sticker. I also believe as I said before that the design should be simple, identifiable, and reproducable in a single color.

Would the Appleseed Issac Davis image be confused with the NG image of Issac Davis?

Let me see if I can get my wife to whoop up something to post. She is a designer/artist.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Offline CortJestir

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 05:22:56 PM »
Nice feedback and submissions from everyone so far...

ADOM's wife, Krisker, came up with the following. ADOM asked me to put them together 'cuz he's gettin' ready to 'seed this weekend. So here they are:

I'd Rather be Appleseedin'

I'd Rather be at an Appleseed
CT Appleseed Facebook Page

"I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." - Ralph Waldo Emerson :D

Offline Fred

• Founder and AOC Member
  • Master Instructor
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 09:22:30 PM »

Unless we expect the decision on this sticker to not only be perfect, but to be perfect in selecting the perfect "trademark" sticker, I don't think we need to worry that much about the finality of our choice.

We pick a sticker. It either works or it doesn't. If it doesn't work, we don't reprint it. If it does 'work', we do reprint it. Or, someone comes along next month or year with a sticker we all instantly recognize as a 'better' sticker.

It will simply be "the sticker" until something better comes along - and in the course of a few years, I bet several 'better' ideas will be coming down the track.

Whether or not, we're not gonna be bound to continue with a sticker that's not doing the job of adequately getting Appleseed out in front of folks.

I doubt whichever sticker we pick will be the 'final' one. Even if we find the 'perfect' sticker, and no better one comes down the pike in the near future, it's likely the next generation of Appleseed leadership will find a 'better' one, one which they like better...

So, let's relax in making the choice. We're not locking ourselves into anything.

Plus, AS is so big in concept, I'm thinking 'more than one' sticker - there's several groups we want to reach - why not a sticker aimed at each one?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Offline Mogget

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 09:30:24 PM »
Oh, oh, I like those, CortJestir!

Mogs

Offline RifleWoman

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 09:42:10 PM »
Me too!  O0
Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

Offline B9

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 10:27:49 PM »
voortrekker, something more familiar like Sam's version?
"It's very hard to engineer another countries liberation...people have to liberate themselves. Unfortunately in history, many people get killed..."
Medea Benjamin

Offline voortrekker

• Inactive Instructor
  • Davilla 1107, 1108, 0209, 1109, 1110
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 11:39:03 PM »
Fellow Appleseeders/Americans,

Thanks for your responses on the new sticker subject.

I want to underline, this endeavor should be a concerted effort amongst we.

Every opinion, should those express it, should be considered. 

All should, please do so.

This is the reason, in my reply, there should be a forum poll, for all RWVA members to participate in choosing a RWVA/Appleseed sticker.

The purpose of my reply to the "sticker" post was, simply, to give my opinion, and to get folks thinking about this subject.  Nothing more.

Hopefully, everyone that reads the threads of this post will give their opinion as well.

Thinking is good and so is consensus amongst thinkers.   O0

We all have time to think on a new sticker, no rush.

What are others thoughts on a new RWVA/Appleseed sticker?

Wade on in here, you are amongst friends.....what is on your mind?

Brett

If YOU are thinking, WE are winning.

Offline nyrasgt

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2010, 12:32:32 AM »
    Briefly, like/prefer the Gd Union or Taunton flags, particularly because the 2 line message:  Liberty, Heritage, Marksmanship above and the AS site info below cover everything we need to say.

Am not fan of the "I'd rather be..." versions, as they make what we do seem less serious, like bowling, skydiving, contradancing, or some other... hobby.  AS is many things, but a hobby is not one of them, IMHO.  It shouldn't be trivialized by a somewhat frivolous sentiment. The history and heritage, of which we speak with such reverence and sense of debt and present-day responsibility, is not something I'd rather do; it's something that must be done,
and attracting more people to the cause is a necessity, not an option.

My .02.

Excelsior,
madMark
"Aim for a high mark and you will hit it.  No, not the first time, nor the second, and maybe not the third. But keep on aiming and keep on shooting,
for only practice will make you perfect.
Finally, you will hit the bulls-eye of success."
-Annie Oakley Butler
A Rifleman Persists
"Nemo me impune lacessit."  Montresor, via E. A. Poe, 1846

Offline dwarven1

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Starksboro, VT
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2010, 12:54:55 PM »
The artwork is a bit crude but it gets the point across.

Personally, I think that we should have the Rifleman patch done purely with graphics, but I'm no graphic artist, so I just scanned a handy patch and added the URL.

Edit: Whoops... I see Sprocket already suggested this. Well, anyway, at least it's there in living olive drab color for folks to see.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 12:56:46 PM by dwarven1 »
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Offline Ratchett

• designated Shoot Boss
  • RAMSEUR.........8/13!!! Osage Beach ten oh nine
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 03:51:37 PM »
I am like dwarven1 and sprocket, I like the Rifleman patch. I cannot do graphics well either, I had the Rifleman as dwarven1 with the addition over the top which said  

WANT ONE?   EARN ONE!

I have a picture, just do not know how to get it on this thread #)  IMHO coming up with something other than what Appleseed all ready has  is like re- inventing the wheel. Maybe even muddies the waters more---just a thought.

In His Grip,
Ratchett

EDIT:  More like this...https://acrobat.com/#d=FVFUU2MOc3MoPoj*mbtMyg
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:02:24 PM by Nurse Ratchett »
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Offline Chrome

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 05:29:22 PM »
Like this?

Personally, I think these are starting to look overdone/overcrowded.

Later,
Chrome...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:31:17 PM by Chrome »
Montani Semper Liberi

Offline dwarven1

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Starksboro, VT
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 06:09:58 PM »
I'd say they both need a bar of, say, white, between the bottom stripe and the URL - or a different background color for the URL.

The "Want one?" bar needs to be a contrasting color, too.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Offline The Machine

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2010, 06:11:14 PM »
As to phrases that catch the eye, we already have two fantastic ones.

"13 Colonies, One Nation, One People, One Day..."  

"Where marksmanship met history, and the heritage began..."

Both are clean, simple, inspiring, and just cryptic enough to illicit wonder about the Appleseed Project.
As for tag lines or phrases, I've been using this one on the 'net: "Ordinary people...doing extraordinary things".

I like several of these graphics, but haven't decided on "the one" yet. As Fred suggested, we should probably do a small production run of the 2-3 most voted for designs, then sit back and monitor the outcome, before going full-bore on printing more. I wonder what the best selling sticker is through the AS store? Knowing that info might give us a small clue of which direction to go. Then again, I'm all for uncharted territory!  ^:)^

You folks are coming up with some original ideas though, good work.  O0
"I proudly support limited government and unlimited common sense"

"One of the great advantages of the American Revolution has been, that it led to a discovery of the principles, and laid open the imposition, of governments." - Thomas Paine 1792

"It does not take many words to speak the truth"

Offline Ratchett

• designated Shoot Boss
  • RAMSEUR.........8/13!!! Osage Beach ten oh nine
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2010, 06:22:57 PM »
Chrome and dwarven1 emails incoming...I still cannot get an imagine on here #)

Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley