News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Indiana's Appleseed Growth Report 2007-2010: A Call to Action!

Started by techres, May 31, 2010, 04:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

Indiana's Appleseed Growth Report 2007-2010: A Call to Action!

Here are a series of charts based on the best numbers available (they may be off +/- 10%) and they paint a stark picture that we must understand and use to drive us ever forward in our dedication to the Appleseed Mission.

As each of you know, the program has doubled every year, and this has been mostly true for Indiana, but this year is seeing that doubling fade away into the distance.  Now, keep in mind, we only have 5 out of 12 months down for the year.  That means we have 7 months, 7 precious months, to regain our footing.

First the data, then the conclusions:

I have attached a PDF with the data below and am posting pictures of the same for those who do not want to download a PDF.

Results?

I see three big problems here: Number of Shoots, Number of Attendees, and Building of Staff.

Now, the 17 Shoots listed above is the number on the schedule as of now.  I see 3-5 shoots quickly being added to the schedule which would be helpful, but is still short of our 35 shoot goal of this year.  

Additionally, if we did not add any more shoots to the year and our attendance remains as has been, we will fall in the 250 range which is a net LOSS from last year.  THAT CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN!

Third, we have lost some great team members to KY and that state's gain is our loss.  We not only have to increase our numbers this year, but we have to offset our losses as well (not that we can really replace Mudcat and his team!).

Corrective Action Needed

We have to redouble our promotions efforts.  And we need to move into new areas and not rely on the the same internet tools that have done us so well but may be saturating.  While we will never leave our internet forum homes (especially INGO), we need to not rely on them to produce our line numbers.  Those lines are not growing, they are shrinking and that has to be reversed.

What can the National team do to help?  Frankly, only so much and it will begin with a series of flyers and stickers that are going to be on the scene within the next 30 days.  

What can the State team do to help?  Yellowhousejake is working his tail off to get materials to local media and that will hopefully gain us increased exposure in print and TV.  Our hopes are with him, and our thanks for all the hard work too.  He will likely need a helper soon so be ready if he asks.

What can each of us do?  Get us shooters and get us ranges.

Promote in any way you can.  Neighbors, family, coworkers, and all the face to face methods that have worked for us so well.  But now we need to expand into local radio calling in, talking to the local paper's Sports/Outdoor reporter.  Paste up flyers wherever you can.  

And please, get us more ranges.  We can expand to perhaps 25 shoots this year with the ranges we have, but to get to 35 we must have new ranges.  Now, Hawk is working on one and I may have another, but that is a mere two.   The mini at Marion County Fish & Game may help us work into a third for a full see, so if you can be there in any capacity - sign up and come.  But, again, we need new ranges or property that can be used as one and we need them in the next two months if they are going to be able to help us meet our goals for this year.

Finally, let me thank each of you for all that you have done to bring us to this point.  Your efforts have built one heck of a state program and have brought the message to hundreds and hundreds of fellow Hoosiers and Americans.  Now we are entering a new level, stepping up to a new game, and we are working towards thousands of thousands if not tens of thousands.

"Could You Muster 14,000?"

Look at these numbers, remember what our ancestors gave, consider the number 14,000 and know that we have a much, much work to do.

Thank You,
Techres

P.S. We need to do an IBC and figure out how to do an RBC.  If we cannot do an RBC at a single range, perhaps we can do it at more than one range for two days at a go...
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

DaveD

Thanks for putting this together, it gives one pause doesn't it, with the hard figures in front of you.

Time for some thinking out of the box.  Will see what I can come up with.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

Bill of Rights

I would be pleased to assist in instructing at an IBC (and for that matter, an RBC), depending on my work schedule.
If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom,go from us in peace.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you.May your chains sit lightly upon you,& may posterity forget that you were our countrymen! Sam Adams

yellowhousejake

The help I am ready for and desperately need starting this month... I need every instructor, IIT, volunteer, neighbor, to find me local print and radio contacts.

- Radio show hosts, no matter how small the station. Local shows, ag shows, talk radio shows. Get me the station ID (wxyz, etc) and the show and host's names.

- Local print media, the ones you see in the news rack at the local gas-mart. There are plenty of "tri-county" fishing and hunting papers out there. I need them all. I can use a contact from the inside of the paper but if possible bring, mail, carrier pidgeon, me a copy of the paper. I will pay for them if needed.

- Local small town papers. I have a list of those for larger markets, now I need those with subscribers under 10k. Really small towns.

I would be forever grateful, I can't look them all up myself.

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

yellowhousejake

Six active SB and six active RH? Don't BOR and I count?  :o

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

yellowhousejake

Let's not forget our volunteers either. You now have three, Niecie, MollyJam, and Unforgiven. I can see volunteers becoming the most important BOTG for Appleseed in the near future.

YHJ

YHJ

techres

Quote from: yellowhousejake on May 31, 2010, 11:20:29 PM
Six active SB and six active RH? Don't BOR and I count?  :o

YHJ

You get counted once for your highest level.  I.E. you get counted for SB but not again for RH.  As for you, YHJ, we need to talk with Hawkhavn about your placement in the system of SB due to the new Regs...

You will be counted, the only question is today, or tomorrow.

AuntieBellum

@YHJ
97.7 WLQI in Rensselaer, IN
Bob Burt does the morning show 6am - 10am and, from what I hear around here, probably has the most consistent listener base.
219-866-4104

Rensselaer Republican
Rensselaer has about 6,000 residents.  Not sure of the circulation #s. 
Connie (XXXXX - can't remember last name) is in charge of ads.  But if you're looking for a potentially free write-up, Kaylee Hofmeister is their best reporter and really goes out of her way to find new and exciting articles.
219-866-5111
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

OutaAmmo

Check with Scott Huschle who does an an outdoor radio program every Saturday morning out of Newton, IL.  Not that far from Riley and southern Indiana.  Offer to let him and his young son Zachary shoot and you would would probably get a lot of weekly feedback .

http://www.downrivergamecalls.com/

He is aware of Appleseed as I sent him some of the Appleseed handouts.  He just needs a little arm twisting and someone to do a live radio show.

OutaAmmo

techres

YHJ,

I am SB at Riley and can get the two of them a spot on the line as a courtesy.

Thanks for the tip OutaAmmo, this is exactly what we need!

Techres

Quote from: OutaAmmo on June 01, 2010, 10:56:50 AM
Check with Scott Huschle who does an an outdoor radio program every Saturday morning out of Newton, IL.  Not that far from Riley and southern Indiana.  Offer to let him and his young son Zachary shoot and you would would probably get a lot of weekly feedback .

http://www.downrivergamecalls.com/

He is aware of Appleseed as I sent him some of the Appleseed handouts.  He just needs a little arm twisting and someone to do a live radio show.

OutaAmmo

yellowhousejake

Reading the data again brings to mind a few other things. Again, yes again, it is so very important that we get complete survey information from every SB. Please please please get the surveys done and post the results in the IAAR. You can look at any of the IAARs for shoots I have worked to see how to report the data.

I am starting to get very interested in the numbers of repeat attendees. I think there is a number there we need to pay attention to. I am thinking about adding a question "Did you earn Rifleman this weekend?" to track how many continue to return AFTER they get a patch. The numbers are small right now, but as a base line for next year when we double in shoots and shooters, it will be valuable to know.

YHJ

YHJ