News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Durand, IL - May 15 & 16

Started by Gopher Boy, May 17, 2010, 02:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher Boy

What a weekend.  This shoot was really a lot of fun and we even had a zoo.

The only bad news from the whole weekend is no Rifleman, but everyone was knocking on the door.

Thanks to all the shooters: Hammer, MCS (Cindy), Bob, Tadpole, Dave, Jeebes, Cheese, Monkey, and Ken (I feel like I'm forgetting one Sorry)  I've never laughed so hard at a shoot.  You all really made this one FUN!

Another thanks to all the instructors...  The Guy, Karl, Garand69 and we got a visit from Bill3 for most of Sunday.  Garand even brought M1 and M2 (Or is it Machine Gun Kelly now?) along.

I think I could go on and on, but I'll let someone else chime in.

G.B.

Ashes

Sounds like fun.. Who brought the zoo?

Gopher Boy

We had a Gopher, a Tadpole, and a Monkey.  A small zoo, but still a zoo.

Tadpole even called me Chipmunk and squirrel. 

Last time we had a mouse, this time everything else.  M1 and M2 even brought Ole' Sluefoot out for a visit.

G.B.

Hammer

Sorry to hear there were no Rifleman, we were sure we'd see Dave's name on the list.

Another great AS, for Cindy and I and the first of 3 where we could come Day 2, even if we had to leave before AQT's....  Thanks to the instructors, the ability to have the 1:1 instruction was great and always inspiring.  Safe driving to Guy on his way to WY.  Thanks to Kenny for a great location and surroundings.  Two beautiful days of weather and another sun burn on half my face...it is a good conversation starter to try to get others to come to an AS I've found... "How'd you get a sunburn like that?"...  Have you ever heard of cheek weld...?

It is always good to reflect on what you've learned...
a. With The Guy Magic - and body manipulation - good groupings are within reach
b. I sure wish I had invented the MidwayUSA shooting mat, or at least got $.10 for each I've seen at AS's
c. Youth that go to AS events are bright, intelligent, and are a breed apart from those I seem to be avoiding on the road, or getting walked into on sidwalks with their cell phones texting, which leads me to thinking there is hope, albeit an uphill battle
d. Persistence and Perseverance are difficult, will pay off, not just for AS

We did not know Garand was M1 and M2's dad - glad to meet you albeit in passing on Sunday.

See you down the road at the next one!  Only got a few pics this time,  we'll post shortly.
"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories."  - Thomas Jefferson

Hammer

The pics
"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories."  - Thomas Jefferson

SkyHawk

Glad to see Durand kept up its reputation as a great place to AS!
"An elective despotism was not the government we fought for"  Thomas Jefferson

Gopher Boy

"camp pre wind gust"...  I had almost forgoten about that one... 

Explanation...

No wind, Friday...  No wind Saturday...  Pretty much no wind on Sunday, except the one gust that turn Casa De Gopher Boy into a giant sail.   Yep, My tent can fly.  It has a nice almost totally vertical take off and leaves everything except the stove chimney in place.  If it wasn't for my truck it would have been a water landing in the pond.   Lesson learned...  Stake your tent no matter the wind conditions.  Damage... 1 bend pole.  I'll have it fixed for next weekend.

The Guy had to add "That would have been really funny if you had been in there in some compromising postion."    I think he watch too much of those old westerns and Blasting Saddles  ;D

Garand69

How the heck did I miss this???

I must be going goofey or somthing!

It was a great shoot though lacking Rifleman this time, I'm sure we will get several out of this buch before too long! Wish I could have been there both days, but overtime is overtime and I need every second of it I can get! Ole' Red my [t]Rusty pick em up truck needs a new pair of shoes!(among a long list of other things ;) )

See you all soon.
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz