News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

This Day in History: the history channel: A&E

Started by CSHR, May 28, 2010, 07:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSHR

A family member got me interested in a daily email from the History Channel which lists 15 or so categories with information on a significant event that happened on that day over various years. It will let you pick a date, so I did: 19April, and there 'it' was, listed as "The American Revolution".............

This is what I found:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-american-revolution-begins

And this is what I 'submitted' to them:

Numerous 'mistakes' in your 19April, This Day in History, American Revolution. 1The alarm was sent throughout the countryside prior to the Regulars even leaving the Boston area since the 'Army of Observation' had word, probably from Margaret Gage, the generals American wife. 2The military stores destroyed in Concord were minimal since most were already hidden. 3The Militia at Lexington were dispersing when fired upon. 4The Militia at Concord were attempting to march back into town over the North Bridge when fired upon, and returned fire. 5Both times they were under orders 'not to fire unless fired upon'. 6At Miriam's Corner the Militia fired upon the Regulars, without orders, to support other Militia:start of 'the battle'. 7Militia harried the Regulars back to Boston as they burnt houses and shot non-combatants in their homes getting there. 8Col Smith's Regulars were saved by Lord Percy, at Lexington, as Regulars fled. 9Regulars: 75KIA,174WIA, 26MIA. Militia:49KIA, 41WIA, 5MIA. 10It was not an 'uprising' but a stand for their legal rights as British citizens that escalated. 11The Treaty of Paris was signed in Oct of 1783, that ended the war, hence 8 years later. These are only a few pointers, you have other areas confused too. Overall poorly done. READ David Hackett's Paul Revere's Ride as a start. Whitman's poem is not an historic document.

Hope I got it right in the limited space I had.......I had to re-write it several times.....I kept drifting off into the complete '3 strikes'.......I had to modify my response to their bit about the 'American Revolution' ending and couldn't fit the quote about.... the Revolution was already won in the hearts and minds prior to the first shots...and the war ended 8 years later.

Wonder if I'll get a response????? Or how many other 'This Day in History'(s) are incorrect/biased??? I still like the concept, enjoy the information, and check it if I plan to pass it along.

Wasn't it CCR that had a line in a song that went '....Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear...'

CSHR
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

sparks1

Whoo boy...I read the rendition you linked and found myself wondering how convoluted a simple history lesson can be. I too commented and suggested they read some factual accounts and rewrite their version to be more precise.
I have watched their broadcast of Revolutionary War history and found much of the same errors. Sloppy history in short. Too bad , as it dishonors our heritage. And for those that rely on this venue for their history, it does not tell the true story.
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)