News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Some work arounds for eye and sighting issues.

Started by desertrat144, May 27, 2010, 11:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desertrat144

For some excellant work arounds for eye and sighting issues visit Finally able to see my target, at http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=12869.msg116792#msg116792.  This won't replace a need trip to the eye doctor, nor get you past the Must have seeing eye dog while driving endorsement on your drivers license.  Did you ever wonder why Drive ATMs have Braille on the drivers access side?

Note: please do not take offense at the above comments, no ill will was intended.  There simply times one has to wonder why for some things.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

desertrat144

"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Unbridled Liberty

Motivated by my own failing eyesight, which makes it difficult to use my new Tech-Sights, I did a little experimenting.  First, I looked at the EyePal ($31.90 w/ shipping), and the Lyman Hawkeye ($26.74 w/ shipping).  Then I emailed links to my optometrist who explained to me the simple pinhole theory/function of these devices.  He said I could achieve the same effect by punching a tiny hole in a piece of tape.

So, I drilled a 1/16" hole in a piece of scrap heavy steel sheet metal (approximately 1/16" thick).  I then "borrowed" (with her permission) one of my wife's heavy sewing needles, that is a hair under 1/16" in diameter.  I cut the pointed end of the needle off with some wire cutters and ground it flat on the end with my stationary belt sander using a fine belt.  I then cut a square of electrical tape and stuck it on the piece of sheet metal so that the hole was in the center.  I then used the flat-ended needle to punch a clean hole in the electrical tape.  I stuck the tape square on my glasses and sighted through the battle sights on my AR.  Lo and behold, it does sharpen the front sight!  It may be better if the hole was smaller, say .050" or .040", but the smallest bit I have it 1/16" (.0625").

Without having the EyePal or Hawkeye I can't do a side-by-side comparison, but the homemade pinhole does help, and the price can't be beat.  I plan on taking the metal plate, pin and electrical tape to shoots with me so other visually-challenged shooters can try it.  Forgive me if someone else has already posted a DIY pinhole device.
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Old Dog

If you know you need help these are great.  I put one on my M1 Garand.  You have to buy the match aperature yourself, it is not part of the "kit" from B. Jones.  You also need to know which sight insert you need to buy.  Some are for folks like me who can see the target fine but can't focus on the front sight and some are for folks who can see the front sight but not the target.

Everyone who has looked through mine has remarked at the difference it makes in their being able to see/focus on the front sight.

forgot to add the link...http://www.bjonessights.com/SR.html
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Unbridled Liberty

Directions for low cost DIY pinhole stickers and eyeglass modification are attached.  This will sharpen the front sight for shooters with certain visual impairments.
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

desertrat144

Unbridled Liberty

An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.
As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Buzzworth

No Guns, No safety, No freedom
KNOW Guns, KNOW Safety, KNOW FREEDOM

Unbridled Liberty

As its a Gift of God

Into the peacefull Grave
Than a Surviving Slave

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

SamD

A tip from back in my competitive days.
Using a cleaning rod as an indicator, mark the lens of an old pair of glasses as to where you are actually looking through it. Then measure the distance in inches from your front sight to your eye.

Take that information to your eyeball doc and have a set safety glasses made with the optical center where you actually need it and ground to make your eye focus easiest at front sight distance.   Won't cost much and it helps A LOT.

Can also be done for handguns.

When trying to correct mild cross dominance, do not block the undesirable eye, smear a layer of vaseline on it so it cannot focus. Leaves the peripheral vision and isn't as "traumatic".

Sam

Thanks Sam! dr144