News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Palmetto State Rifleman Check In HERE!

Started by DuaneRN, May 19, 2010, 12:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuaneRN

Every other state has a thread for their Riflemen to check in. So just as a way to keep up with you, check in here with your name, location, where you made Rifleman at, etc.

This is for Riflemen who are not yet an Instuctor.  We'll keep you updated with events in SC, etc.

Duane
Lexington, SC

BSHRADER

Bruce Shrader
Florence, S.C.
Shot Rifleman at Gaston, S.C. May2, 2009
Also attended two applseeds in Ramseur,N.C.
Sept. 2007 and April 2010.
PS To Fred
It's Quality, not Quantity.

blume357

Blume up here in Greenville,   I made Rifleman on March 4th in Gaston...

I'm hoping I can make it over to Anderson on the 26th... but probably won't be able to do both days... so will be a walk in.

I'll only check in here about every week or so...
Made rifleman on my first practice AQT
then went down hill from there......

Larry N

We (Larry & Karen - Hartsville, SC) attended the Oct. 3 & 4, 2009 Appleseed in Gaston, SC. Lots of good teaching and practice but didn't achieve Riflemen until the March 6 & 7, 2010 event in Gaston, SC. Larry shot Rifleman on March 6 and I shot Rifleman on March 7. Great experience all around with great instruction. We recommend Appleseed every chance we get!

Archer

John Williams
Greenville, SC
Shot Rifleman (217) at Lima, Ohio, October 3, 2010

My brother, who lives near Lima, talked me into driving up to Ohio and attending an Appleseed with him.  I am glad I did.  It rained all day Saturday, was cold, windy, wet, and muddy.  Sunday was the same minus the rain.  I had a great time, and I learned a lot, and met a lot of great people.  As one of the Police Officers that attended posted "Missing your target in the rain while laying in a puddle of mud sucks.  Hitting your target in the rain while laying in a puddle of mud is lots of fun."

I saw in an earlier post on one of the other South Carolina threads that blume357 had approached Greenville Gun Club about having an Appleseed there.  Is there any news on this?  I live in Greenville County and an Appleseed in Greenville would be great.

Has anyone approached the DNR Range in Liberty about having an Appleseed there?

I have been talking Appleseed up with my friends since I got home and already have two interested, plus both of my boys are dieing to attend (have to wait for soccer season to end for them)

I am interested in helping, maybe even becoming an IIT.
John Williams
Greenville, SC
Rifleman X2 - Lima, OH, October 3, 2010 (1st Appleseed)
Rifleman X4 - Piqua, OH, November 3 & 4, 2018 (2nd Appleseed)
Cleared Redcoat X2 - Piqua, OH, November 3 & 4, 2018
Accepted invitation to become an Orange Hat - Piqua, OH, November 4, 2018
IBC February 1-2 2020

rhart

Russell Hart
Woodruff SC
Shot Rifleman at the May 2, 2009 shoot in Gaston.

CrabPirate

Jim G.
Flo-Town
I shot rifleman on April 17th, 2011 at the Gaston, SC Appleseed clinic.

Canebrake

Will Walker Shot a 231
Ladson, SC
Made Rifleman in St. Augustine, FL
06/12/11
I had a great group of instructors Dr. John, RamboGranny, Smoak, Theri, 9m4545, and B.Schrader from SC
I can't wait to go again.

TheIronMantis

Quote from: Canebrake on June 13, 2011, 08:26:33 PM
Will Walker Shot a 231
Ladson, SC
Made Rifleman in St. Augustine, FL
06/12/11
I had a great group of instructors Dr. John, RamboGranny, Smoak, Theri, 9m4545, and B.Schrader from SC
I can't wait to go again.

Nice job!  I believe we are going to have another event in the fall in Gaston so come on out and bring some friends!  Or if you are anxious, head over to Augusta and enjoy the nice facility and hospitality there.

armaborealis

Chris -- Shot Rifleman (212) at Gaston, SC July 1, 2012
Previously attended a shoot in Ramseur.

Looking forward to starting off as an RSO with the orange hat!
GREAT instructors at both events.
Rifleman - 1 July 2012 - Gaston, SC
KD Qual - 27 September 2014 - Elberton, GA

TheIronMantis

Good job Chris!  See, that South Carolina NPOA skootch is 10x better than an NPOA shift.

dreamerofdreams

Heather - shot rifle(wo)man (217) at Ramseur in March 2012.

Ready to volunteer for an orange hat and looking forward to more shoots with cooler temperatures...  ;)
"On one man's soul it hath broken,
A light that doth not depart;
And his look, or a word he hath spoken,
Wrought flame in another man's heart."

Cruffler

Tom from Blythewood - shot Rifleman (215) at Gaston, SC on 28 Oct 2012, despite not completing the 2nd Stage.   
Previously attended the Appleseed (Deathseed) at Gaston on 01 July 2012.

Looking forward to being able to start paying back to Appleseed by picking up an orange hat.

Thanks to Mantis, Taz, DrJohn, and all the rest of the instructors for giving me a LOT to continue to work on to bring these groups down.

-Tom
aka Cruffler - who at 50+ meets the criteria for being both a Curio and a Relic.....
"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." - Thomas Jefferson

"Fate chooses our relatives, we choose our friends." - Jacques Delille

TheIronMantis

nreamer

Neil from Chapin.  Shot Rifleman (225) on April 20, 2013 in Gaston, SC.  "Cheated and used a scope."  Took it off and re-qualified with irons on April 21 with a 216. 

This was my 2nd Appleseed.  Both were great! 

Thanks to all the instructors who volunteer for this program!

armaborealis

I finally made it over the hump to get an official 220 to requal with irons.  I've scored a few 209s but initially made it over with a scope.  Thanks to Taz for loaning me some .22 to be repaid in liquid form with a beverage of his choice!   :)

jmdavis

A rifleman is a rifleman. Using a scope is not cheating. A scope does not improve your ability to shoot. It can improve your ability to identify and see a target.

If you are an instructor, please stop telling people that they are "cheating" if they are using a scope. You are doing a disservice to the shooter and to the program. A good shooter with decent eyesight will shoot the same score (or almost the same) whether using a scope or irons. A shooter with eye issues or even just middleaged eyes, may have major issues with front sight focus, and by using a scope (where the target and reticle are on the same focal plane) be able to alleviate those issue. A shooter with severe astigmatism may never be able to qualify without a scope. Regardless each of these individuals is a rifleman and none of them cheated.

I have shot 100's on stage 4 of the AQT with a cheap 4x scope and shot 98's on it with irons and glasses. I have shot 3 inch 10 shot groups at 200 yards with a .22 as well. But  I have never told a student that he or she cheated because they used a scope.

The reason that it is good to have an instructor be able to shoot above a 210 with both scope and irons isn't about shooting. It is about being able to teach and to work with the shooters to help them. That same instructor should also be able to rig a web or 1907 sling, to shoot a rifleman score at KD, and to understand that position, comes before NPOA comes before resipiratory pause, comes before trigger control. Finally, a good instructor watches the student, his muzzle and the results before offering up advice.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Wheelgun

Made it!  Qualified for rifleman on 3/1 in Newberry, SC with a 230.  Very happy.  Thanks to all the great instructors.

Wheelgun

dreamerofdreams

Quote from: Wheelgun on March 06, 2014, 12:53:20 PM
Made it!  Qualified for rifleman on 3/1 in Newberry, SC with a 230.  Very happy.  Thanks to all the great instructors.

Wheelgun

^:)^

Shayes13

Made it with a 212, saved by the .30 cal. rule. Travis From Chapin at Gaston last weekend, March 22,23 of 2014.
By the evil man has done, something wicked this way comes.

dreamerofdreams

Quote from: Shayes13 on March 26, 2014, 11:32:23 PM
Made it with a 212, saved by the .30 cal. rule. Travis From Chapin at Gaston last weekend, March 22,23 of 2014.

Well done, Travis!  Hope to see you out again!

mjkten

Mike Kranendonk, Irmo.
Made Rifleman October  19th,  last target.
Gaston, SC.
I was weary, but very pleased!

armaborealis

Quote from: mjkten on October 20, 2014, 10:27:35 PM
Mike Kranendonk, Irmo.
Made Rifleman October  19th,  last target.
Gaston, SC.
I was weary, but very pleased!

HUZZAH!   :---

Singleton

Jeremy
Mt. Pleasant
Made Rifleman 11-9-14 in Newberry, SC
47-40-45-98 for a 220 (Taz did the math on this one  ;))

It was my first Appleseed. I hope to attend many more.

All of the instructors were incredible. Many thanks to all of them.
"bushwhacking is a legitimate form of war, and it is just as fair and equally heroic to fire at an enemy from behind a bush as a breastwork or from the casemate of a fort."
- John S. Mosby

dreamerofdreams

Send It

Just found this thread.

Scored Rifleman on October 18th 2015 in Pelham, TN. (KD Event, 5.56, w/3x scope).

And, scored rifleman three times again this past Sunday at the CMP Marksmanship Park in Talladega, AL. (KD Event, 5.56, irons)
Everyday, is Independence Day.

2015-10-18 Rifleman KD Pellham, TN
2016-05-29 Rifleman KDx3 Talladega, AL
2016-10-30 Rifleman KD Talladega, AL

DEH

Come join us tomorrow in gaston. If you dont want to shoot,there is an orangr hat with your name on it.
-Appleseed: '08-IBC, '09-Red Hat, '09-FT Stewart, '10-RBC, '14, '15, '22 KD
-I.C.E '11 Combat Focus Shooting.
-Tactical Response. '09-'12
-Fighting Rifle/Pistol, Immediate Action Medical, Way of the Rifle
-MTN Guerrilla-2013/Irreg Warfare
-Max Velocity Tactical. 2013-2022. RIFLEMAN,TEAM COYOTE
 CRCDx2,Combat Patrol, Rifleman Challenge,CQB,CTT,FOFx2. DCHx2.
-2Cor10:4-5. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, & bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

notagoodshot

Mike here in Charleston SC,
Qualified rifleman with a 10/22 on irons in April 2016 with a 226 (2 of them actually, back to back)
Qualified Long range aug 27th 2016 with AR-15 on irons with a 42.  (8 hits at 400, woo!!!!)

Mercedes

I double qualified in Manchester, TN on May 28th with a 211 and a 210. Third event attended.  Picked up an Orange Hat along the way!
Debbie Fonseca
Lake Wylie, SC

Silverback

I qualified in Maryland (visiting my kids).  I have an orange hat but have not been active. I live in Greenville but I am willing to help wherever needed.