News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Corpus Christi, TX - AAR - May 15-16

Started by POP, May 16, 2010, 11:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POP

I just have to get this started.  This was one successful weekend.
:~ :~ :~ ^:)^

9 Shooters
8 1/2 Instructors
alonso1, Doug Tibbits, SNAITF, BDG, spmcpeek, zonkertx, POP, and Castaway.

1 New Rifleman, Art  O0  O0  O0
2 Youth Patches.  They'll be back.  O0
1 Upgrade to Red Hat, BDG  O0
1 IIT Upgrade to IIT3 (I think), Zonkertx   O0
1 New Orange Hat, Castaway  O0
1 Upgrade to Shoot Boss, spmcpeek,  O0 and
1/2  Orange Hat Graduated from High School, That would be EyeQ because he came out to the shoot on Saturday morning and spent the rest of the weekend with Mom and Dad and family and Commencement and all that stuff.  Go Figure.   ++)  Seriously, We Are Proud of EyeQ.  Ya'll be sure and give him a virtual pat on the back. O0 O0 O0

A little Texas Drizzle Saturday morning, clear and hot the rest of the weekend.

Fantastic Appleseed Weekend.  Thanks to all the Instructors who made the trip ... Ya'll really made the difference for our shooters.

And, I can't wait for our photographer, SNAITF, to post some of those great pics.

That's all for now.
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

matefrio

My second Appleseed and it was fun.  I had two friends there for their first, one from Louisiana the other local.  They were both impressed by the shoot and had a great weekend. 

That "little Texas Drizzle" made the coast guard, who were training there, retreat after their first volley and look at us like we were crazy.

zonkertx

All I can say is WOW!

Instructors and attendees alike braved rain, lightning, heat, humidity, and my bad puns to shrink groups and ponder the sacrifices made by our forefathers in the name of Liberty.  I thoroughly enjoyed calling the line Sunday afternoon, but must clarify that IIT3 will (hopefully) come NEXT weekend at Davilla.  Only one PC per AS!   ;D

Hats off to POP for his organizational skills and the wonderful hospitality, as well as EyeQ on his graduation.  This is one of those big turning points in life, and EyeQ has his act together.  I predict he will go far and do great things.  Congrats also to Castaway for giving an impressive fuzzy home to a bright, new Orange Hat.  BZ to Master Chief Art on becoming Rifleman.

After Saturday's session was over, the heavy iron was brought out for a little instructor fun.  After a hard day walking the line, it's good to have a shoulder massage:

Thanks again to all who were there at this great shoot!

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

This was definitely a great and interesting shoot. Lightning, rain, clouds and sun - sounds like Appleseed weather! (The lightning? Not so much...)

BDG looks on as matefrio goes through a ball and dummy drill. Thank you BDG for bringing enough dummy rounds for everyone!

Optics are always a good thing to bring along.

We would like to thank Hirohito for the deactivated demo rifle...

More pics tomorrow...

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Saturday afternoon... :---

BDG shows what part of the finger to apply pressure to the trigger

Sitting/Kneeling demo

A Saturday Rifleman!

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Getting started on Sunday

BDG donning his Red Hat for the first time

Late afternoon group photo

Josh getting a patch

Sunday was hot and humid, but since Brendan (Castaway) is a Rifleman he persists

Castaway accepted an Orange Hat and has joined the Texas Instructor group!

Then it was time to clean up and head home.

Ladyseed Man Slave

matefrio

I think after this one I'll be known as "Blink and BOOM!"    ::)

BDG

heh. We had a lot of things happen at this event in the logistical structure that I don't think I've seen before happening at a single AS. As POP listed them up there, lots of stuff indeed. I liked the event despite the lightning in the morning and the sweat on Sunday. It worked out. I'd have liked to have seen more people stay Sunday and not leave so early, but the realities of the world often interpose their own desires upon us. With 3 shooters needing to get one of their own back to Luzanna, I can understand the need for a hasty departure. Hope to see you guys back at a future shoot!

Kudos all around for those things already mentioned, and thanks Alonso for running me through the necessary formalities. :) And here I though I was only going to answer 6 or 7 questions! hehe

Alonso had to be back at work the following morning at 4AM!!! And he was driving himself, SNAITF, & spmcpeek back to Houston! What a trooper. That's gotta be rough, especially considering how faded his RH is. :)

It was a shame to not have POP on the line with us all weekend, but he got the sickies and had to get some rest. Running a fever, losing his voice, and feeling miserable the week leading up to it are not fun ways to go into an Apleseed!

See you all on the 'trail.
Davilla Eleven-Oh-Eight!!

scuzzy

Quote from: POP on May 16, 2010, 11:36:35 PM

I just have to get this started.  This was one successful weekend.

alonso1, Doug Tibbits, SNAITF, BDG, spmcpeek, zonkertx, POP, and Castaway.

A little Texas Drizzle Saturday morning, clear and hot the rest of the weekend.

Fantastic Appleseed Weekend.  Thanks to all the Instructors who made the trip ... Ya'll really made the difference for our shooters.

And, I can't wait for our photographer, SNAITF, to post some of those great pics.

That's all for now.
POP

Pretty dang good I'd say. Miss seeing all you ugly scalliwags. Tell Sally 'Hey' for me and just keep on keeping on.

Them dang Texicans are alright.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

EyeQ

You boys were busy while I was away  O0  Great job on the shoot guys!  I sure wish I could of been at this shoot along with some of Texas's finest, but alas, graduation was also somewhat important.  Now I can get back to some more appleseeding  :cool2:

Congrats to BDG, Zonkeretx, and spmcpeek for moving up in the appleseed trail and to castaway for joining the appleseed instructor Corp.   O0  And also Congratulations to Art for scoring rifleman!

Can't wait to see some more pics.  For now here's a Pic from the graduation.  Pop, she's a friend.  We wouldn't want you getting any ideas again  &)

I can see the the bullet impacts on your target and so can you, but can you understand what they are telling you?  Targets talk, but it takes EyeQ to understand what they are saying.  Appleseed taught it to me and now I want to teach it to you.

Davilla 11/09!
Davilla 11/10!

POP

Quote from: EyeQ on May 18, 2010, 11:53:36 PM
For now here's a Pic from the graduation.  Pop, she's a friend.  We wouldn't want you getting any ideas again  &)

Yeah, EyeQ, she's a friend.  And, a pretty friend.   @)
But, can she shoot!   **)
We look forward to seeing her on the line.

Congrats again on a job well done.   O0  I know your folks are proud of you, so are we.

POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

crwoosley

First of all, I want to offer a big thank you to all of the instructors and to Pop for organizing the event.  This was my first Appleseed, and I was blown away by the quality of the instruction and the dedication of the instructors. 

I have been shooting since I was old enough to hold a pistol, but have never had any formal rifle training before. Other than a few hunting trips when I was younger, there was not much room in my shooting life for rifles... until now.

What I learned this week was invaluable, and the moment I got home to my native Louisiana I started practicing NPOA and dry firing in prone in my hall way.  So you have a convert on your hands, if not an outright acolyte.

I would like to make a few other observations about the weekend:

1)   Safety:  I have never been on a range that was run as well as this one.  The instructors had the safety issue down pat.  Nothing was left to chance, and every conceivable precaution was taken.  I especially like that EVERY gun was checked by an instructor EVERY time before the range was called clear.

2)   It was obvious to me that the men that volunteered to conduct this shoot were passionate about this. It's a calling, not a job, or a chore for them.

3)   I can't seem to stop telling people about the experience and trying to get them involved in the program as well. 
Due to some work constraints, it may be a couple months before I can make another shoot, but I can't wait for my next Appleseed.

dragit

Welcome to Appleseed CR.  It can be contagious.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

Quote from: matefrio on May 17, 2010, 10:42:48 PM
I think after this one I'll be known as "Blink and BOOM!"    ::)

It was good to meecha! I still like MateMuzzlebrake.

I think Miculek could market those brakes as a range hair dryer. It came in handy Saturday.   ;)
Ladyseed Man Slave

Quote from: EyeQ on May 18, 2010, 11:53:36 PM
You boys were busy while I was away  O0  Great job on the shoot guys!  I sure wish I could of been at this shoot along with some of Texas's finest, but alas, graduation was also somewhat important.  Now I can get back to some more appleseeding  :cool2:

Congrats to BDG, Zonkeretx, and spmcpeek for moving up in the appleseed trail and to castaway for joining the appleseed instructor Corp.   O0  And also Congratulations to Art for scoring rifleman!

Can't wait to see some more pics.  For now here's a Pic from the graduation.  Pop, she's a friend.  We wouldn't want you getting any ideas again  &)

We are definitely proud of you EyeQ! You look great in that photo. We might have to change your ID to EyeQGuapo. ;)

Nice looking friend!  I wouldn't kick her out of my pickup truck (but if she saw the truck she would probably run away as fast as she could).  **)

But POP is right - can she shoot? Priorities and all that.

Ladyseed Man Slave

Quote from: crwoosley on May 19, 2010, 12:48:00 PM
Other than a few hunting trips when I was younger, there was not much room in my shooting life for rifles... until now.

Music to my ears!

Welcome to the forum! It was a true pleasure working with you and your crew. Thanks for loaning that SP-1 to your friend as well.

There's plenty more Texas and Louisiana shoots in the future. Hope to see you on the trail.
Ladyseed Man Slave

spmcpeek

Thanks to everyone for making this weekend a great shoot, even with less than desirable weather.  I look forward to seeing all of you again soon.  This was my first shoot in Corpus, but hopefully it won't be my last.

Congratulations to Art on his Rifleman Saturday afternoon.  Also, congratulations to everyone on their upgrades, especially Kevin and his new Red hat.

A special welcome to Castaway with his new orange hat.

Thanks to all the instructors for making my job as Shoot Boss easy.  Thanks for listening to me complain about not having my Garand, which finally showed up Tuesday morning.  Pictures are here http://picasaweb.google.com/spmcpeek/CMPSGHRAM1Garand?feat=directlink 

alonso1

Indeed, this was a great shoot.  The weather was really bad Saturday morning and what I found impressive was not a single shooter left, they all stayed.  Now, this was not my first Appleseed, I've been to one or two before and I have seen folks pack up and leave due to a little rain.  This CC crowd was a great bunch of folks.

Congrats to Art, Rifleman Art that is.

Castaway, thank you for stepping up and joining us.  I look forward to working with you and competing against you at the Pecos run-n-gun in August (shameless plug) **)

BDG..you earned that Red Hat, well done.

Mcpeek, you did a great job SB'ing, Louisiana is yours ;D  OK, OK, we will hang around LA until y'all have a few more SB's before we leave it to you.  By the way, nice Garand O0

The shooters, everyone of you did a fantastic job out there.  It would have been so easy to get in the car and drive away, good job O0

matefrio

:)
Funny picture as I"m prepping the sling not pointing a rifle but it looks like I'm doing them at the same time.