News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Appleseed 101 volunteers needed here.

Started by JoeZ, May 13, 2010, 01:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeZ

Wisconsin heads up. I need volunteers. This is for IITs and Red Hats both.

I'm organizing two Appleseed variants available for schools and the one thing I need help with is your time. The plan is to provide an Appleseed as a field trip for a school and/or provide an "Appleseed 101" as a half credit extra-curricular one semester course students can take, much like a chess club. I need 3 types of volunteers.
1: Instructor for a field trip, one day probably during the week as best suits the school.
2: Instructors for the field portion of the Appleseed 101, this will be 3 Saturdays all day
3: Instructors/teachers to teach for an hour and half after school (tell me how many per month or overall you can do)

This project is in the initial stages here but is very real and may be one diversification the Appleseed can easily accomplish so consider this seriously. One small private school is on for sure and I hope to be able to solicit at least one more for the fall semester. Post or PM any questions at all.

Thanks for your consideration in this,
JoeZ
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

Fred

This has GREAT potential for our program, so let's all line up in an orderly fashion - hey, no pushing back there!

Seriously, let's help Joe make this happen...  O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

Mogget

I'm in.

I can do Saturdays, no problemo.

I can do after school stuff as long as I get to "pick" which day.  I can't remember my schedule for next semester but I think it's Monday and Wednesday PM that I have more time.  Let me know and I'll run the info down, though.

I don't think I can do the whole day unless it's a Friday and it doesn't happen very often...

Mogs

PS Is this something that the Home Schoolers can do, as well?

JoeZ

Homeschoolers can do both with some organizing which I am more than willing to provide. For Appleseed 101 they would have to meet at one place and I'm sure the group would be very small. I am going to offer this to them through their associations. I think that's the best way to proceed, but if anyone knows those ropes I'm all ears.

JoeZ
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

Fred

We had some homeschoolers show up an a Ramseur AS, and I was told the kids were getting credit "for doing a project" - but I bet a history credit would be possible, also.

Don't know enough about this to offer any guidance, but above suggests AS is very "homeschooler-friendly".

In other words, they can come to a regular AS and get homeschool credit. O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

Mogget

Alright, it's Tuesdays and Thursdays for the open afternoons.  And of the two, Thursday is definitely best because I could do that pretty much every week, I think.

Mogs

Old Glory!

Quote from: JoeZ on May 13, 2010, 01:25:32 PM
W
2: Instructors for the field portion of the Appleseed 101, this will be 3 Saturdays all day

3 Saturdays would work for me.   Very exciting development.  Are you thinking next fall?

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Muskyjerk

Tag,

Interested....waiting for additional details

dragonfly

I could find some week day time between 4pm and 8pm, except thur. and the last wed. of the month and the first wed. of the month and the 1st. and 3rd. tue. of the month. I think, I'll find time somewhere. You get the idea. Sounds like a great idea. O0

D-fly Keeping the Faith.
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

desertrat144

That's a great idea!  In looking through things, do you see a potential, or ability to do this as a one day shoot for folks that just want a Saturday only AS?  I'm thinking in terms of riflery, and light on history to slow down the normal Sat. pace.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

Reckless Rick

all day on Fridays are open for me...pending any national disaster's or large storms,I do have some classroom/teaching experience
Look,Listen and support...not always the easiest

Fred

That "light on history" part kinda bothers me.

I say we do it all, just faster than a reg AS. :~

Seriously, I think we can get the proper balance between history and marksmanship without too much trouble.

Rather than a coherent telling of the whole Story, some dramatic sub-stories set in a broader quick framework would prob do for these kids - while as the instructor, playing by ear - if they want more history - for land's sake, give 'em  more!

desertrat144

Quote"light on history"
bothers me too.  What I manged to mis-state, was the notion of the history portions being done in the fashion you suggest.  

Saturdays are the 'make it or break it' days for those registered for both days.  Simply, for most folks having done 5 days of 'fun & games' e.g. work (for those employed!) + a break neck pace on Sat. will pretty much garantee they won't be back on Sunday.  See various blog posts both internal & external, citations ommitted.  

There is a balance, but how to find it?  That would be a thread unto itself, but subject to approval as it deals with AS teaching doctrine and subsequent experimentation to see how well it works.

Tom
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond it's limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves." - President Ronald Wilson Reagan

JoeZ

The course is to be called Traditional American Marksmanship and Heritage. We are offering it as an extra curricular physical education .5 credit course open to 10 years old and up. The class will meet once every two weeks for an hour and a half. I tried for 3 schools to start but could not pull it off.

The 3 Hubertus Sat only shoots are to be used as the field exercises of which they must attend at least 2.

Lesson number one is finished and posted here if any one is interested. As always, comments are welcome.
JoeZ

Modified: Lesson 1 has been corrected.

JoeZ

Lesson 2 is finished and posted here.

bedford

I don't know I how I missed this thread.

My wife and I recently went to our annual home school association in green bay, and they have tables (like at a gun show) for all the activities for the year. It would have been a perfect spot for a display.

We are also part of an email mailing list for all the home school families who want to be notified of upcoming activities. I think I can use that to promote upcoming shoots.

AFTERMATH

Pssst.....  Javaguy & NdRifleman, check this out...... ::)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

JoeZ

Hey Bedford,
If any homeschool association wants, we can set something up as far as a field trip or even the whole course. I don't know how to get the homeshoolers the half credit (can an association do that?), but they definitely are a group we want to reach. Please post or PM me with any real leads or have people contact me directly if they would rather do that.

If anyone wants to use the material, please go ahead but understand that it is in an outline format which needs the instructors to fill in. That's a bit of research on your part but you'll be better for the work.(That's what Appleseed is all about)
Lesson 3 should be done in a week but lesson 4 will be delayed some.

ndrifleman

I know you're in Wisconsin, but the same idea would be great here in ND.

My dad is the Executive Director of the North Dakota Home School Association (ndhsa.org), and  I've already done some advertising through their newsletter, emails, and at the annual homeschool convention, but since I wasn't a State Coordinator until recently I didn't really push too hard (was just an IIT then ).The big convention is in March and I plan to have a booth there for Appleseed and will do whatever else I can to advertise.

It would really draw out the homeschoolers to advertise a shoot/field trip especially for them... As it is, the majority of our attendees in the state have been HSers but there is still a large untapped potential especially around the larger cities in the state.
"Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two edged sword in their hand. " Psalm 149:6

"The glorious inheritance which our fathers left us we must never betray.We must seize the torch from their hands, and transmit it with increasing brightness to distant generations." James Thornwell

JoeZ

My idea for homeschoolers was to get groups to meet every two weeks or so and go through the lessons and do some dry firing. During the eight weeks or so of that get them to go to 2 Sat Appleseeds. I haven't had worked with any on this and it really is something that needs to be fleshed out. If I can help in any way let me know.

A field trip is also a great idea but we ranges who are flexible enough to make it work. I mean if a board of directors needs to approve a shoot and they only meet once every month or two it seems too difficult to plan if you are trying accommodate students and parents also.These boards also prefer to have everything planned in January and unless you are in close you will not change the schedule until next Jan. We really need some DARs who are more subject to our needs, and in this maybe the homeschoolers are the solution as higher percentages of them are farmers. NDrifleman, I think that part of it needs to come from someone in your dad's position. A request from the top down sometimes opens doors that normally won't open.

Also, another advantage the homeschoolers can provide is the untapped 5 days of the week. Not being bound to a weekly schedule, perhaps shoots during the week would work out better as ranges are anxious to keep their lines open for members but members are often out only on weekends.

JoeZ

The organizational meeting will be Thursday after school. We have 20 students interested. The meeting outline is posted here.

dragonfly

Hey Joe, just looking for an update on Appleseed 101. How many attendees and how is the response so far?

D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

JoeZ

Let me start by listing the seven achievements I came up with for minors:
1: Demonstrated an active interest in the history of April 19th 1775.
2: Demonstrated understanding of and disciplined safe rifle handling.
3: Demonstrated field position shooting to the marksman standard.
4: Demonstrated field position shooting to the sharpshooter standard.
5: Demonstrated field position shooting to the rifleman standard.
6: Demonstrated field position high power shooting to the rifleman standard.
7: Demonstrated field position shooting to the full distance rifleman standard.

We have 19 students. We've had two classes and have covered lessons one and two. The lessons take a little less than an hour and it's really hard to get the kids to ask questions. I have 4 dummy rifles and each student has built the prone position. So far six kids have been to Appleseeds. We have four marksmen, one sharpshooter, and one full distance rifleman.

I'm planning on making out certificates for the student achievements. This certificate will list all seven and the students can take them to any Appleseed where upon completion of any achievement, any red hat can sign off in the space provided.

JoeZ

A list of the lessons used so far:

JoeZ

Visual aids for lesson 2 are kinda fun for the kids.