News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2010: Arizona IIT goals by 2011

Started by AZRedhawk44, May 11, 2010, 06:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZRedhawk44

Yep, I'm aware and excited at the opportunity.

Part of me wants to do the majority of the SB duties and have her give me some pointers, and the other part of me wants her to do most of the presentation and wrangling so as I can watch an Ace in action and learn.

Since it's my shoot, I'm gonna do most of it, but I'm looking forward to working with her.

AZRyan

Ah yes goals; I'll be working the two remaining SV shoots, so that will get me to IIT 4 and then RH sometime in 2011

AZOpie

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on May 27, 2010, 01:38:02 PM
As far as the "2 or 3 extremely well run events than to have any number of fair, or worse yet, inadequate events" perspective... Buckeye in March was one of the finest and most well-run events I think we've ever seen in AZ or in the southwest, in my opinion.  Lysander6, under AZGromit's supervision, did a fantastic event as SBIT.  Part of that (not to steal his thunder) was the fact that he had 5 instructors for it.  2 IIT (AZRon and Necede), 2 SB's (me and AZGromit) and then Lysander6 as SBIT.

That's a lot of 1:1 time, a lot of coaching, a lot of improvement in shooters' skills, and a lot of confidence and comfort for the SB and instructor crew so that the real message of the Appleseed is delivered with the same confidence.  If the skills are not transmitted effectively to the shooters and they don't have confidence in what they are learning (due to diluted instruction, for instance) then the 3 strikes and benedictions become less meaningful to them.  Shoots that produce Riflemen also produce volunteers, because success is infectious.

Not having the depth of experience with the program in AZ, I cannot really compare. What I can say is that the quality of the experience was what convinced me the program was something I wanted to invest my time in. For me that says a whole lot. I agree that having a greater intructor to student ratio produces better results - in any venue.

With the bodies we have right now, we will be hard-pressed to ever produce another Buckeye without importing instructors.  We'll probably have similar results in Kingman because we'll have 4 instructors for 15 shooters... which is a great ratio.  I'm hoping we get a volunteer or two out of Kingman as a result.

Yep, I agree the ratio in Kingman looks good - I hope we do get some volunteers out there, 1 or 2 (or more) would be a great start!

Reducing our events in AZ will not necessarily increase our instructor to student ratio, though.  It might actually decrease it since it will bottleneck demand for Appleseeds and increase the # of shooters at an event.  If we have 40 shooters anywhere... we'll need 100% of the instructor corps here to turn out to run it adequately.

Reducing events does not necessarily translate to overloading the instructor staff. It is important to limit the quantity of participants based on the instructors signed up, not just on how many people we can put on the line. Ensuring the quality of the experience helps us to recruit more instructors, quality instructors. I think the most important part of any event is maintaining a good ratio of instructors to students. I also understand that we might miss some opportunities with potential shooters, but it is what it is.

We're at an awkward phase in our State's growth cycle and we're about 6 months away from everything "popping" just right.  We'll get there.

Awkward phase - yep, but this too shall pass. Starting an organization like this is slow and painful in the beginning, but there is a point where it takes on a life of it's own and becomes unstoppable! The important thing to remember right now is that other states, in the past, were just where we are today - and in time we will get to where they are.

Persist!

AZRedhawk44

QuoteReducing events does not necessarily translate to overloading the instructor staff. It is important to limit the quantity of participants based on the instructors signed up, not just on how many people we can put on the line. Ensuring the quality of the experience helps us to recruit more instructors, quality instructors. I think the most important part of any event is maintaining a good ratio of instructors to students. I also understand that we might miss some opportunities with potential shooters, but it is what it is.

I agree in theory, but in practice:

Each host range undergoes a facilities evaluation, resulting in a Range Data Form.  Once the Range Data Form is produced, then that information is entered into EventBrite as a maximum capacity for registrants.

Since all of our ranges are already entered into EventBrite, we (the AZ crew) cannot alter the Range Data Form, nor alter the EventBrite maximum headcounts.  Riflewoman or one of the other national folks has to do that.

Good luck telling Fred and the national crew that we want to reduce potential attendees at a site. ;)

The standing rule is... if someone shows up, we put them on the line.  If we get 25 walk-ons at Kingman... we put 'em on the line.  We may run the line in squads... but we put anyone who shows up on the line.

Here's what I propose as a potential resolution for this issue:

We increase the instructor ratio at all our future events.

We'll accomplish this by:

Attempting to have a minimum of 4 instructors, no matter what.  If an event breaches 25 shooters, we'll try to get a 5th.  If it breaches 30 shooters, we'll start crying out to CA/NV/NM for emergency help of 1 more.

To buffer this, and to get more of our AZ crew known to TPTB, I'm going to start leaning heavily on the MI/SI crew to start coming in for events.  This makes us SB's study up and be danged sure we're toeing the line and doing our 100% spot-on best at every possible event, and it makes TPTB comfortable with the bang-up job we're doing, and it nets us another experienced head to help with that 1:1 coaching that makes an event successful.

My hope is for an SI/MI to be present for every shoot from now to 2011.  Dunno if that will be possible, but I'm gonna try.

Also:

AZRyan, AZbinary, usarmyguyretired:  You've mostly worked with Lysander6.  It'd be nice if you guys can make it up to some of the shoots I run, or to NM or CA.  The next SV shoot is in September and I'm running a simultaneous one in Payson, so I can't be there then, but I will be down for the December SV event.  Lysander6 will still be the SB for that event, but we do need to make sure that we don't balkanize our instructor corps.

Same thing goes for AZOpie and NewGuy556:  Try and get down to SV, Tucson, or any northern event that Lysander6 may work... or off to another state and work with a completely different SB.

Hoss, Humvee:  You've worked with me, you've worked with Gromit.  Just keep adding to the experience.

AZOpie

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on May 28, 2010, 01:57:12 AM
QuoteReducing events does not necessarily translate to overloading the instructor staff. It is important to limit the quantity of participants based on the instructors signed up, not just on how many people we can put on the line. Ensuring the quality of the experience helps us to recruit more instructors, quality instructors. I think the most important part of any event is maintaining a good ratio of instructors to students. I also understand that we might miss some opportunities with potential shooters, but it is what it is.

I agree in theory, but in practice:

Each host range undergoes a facilities evaluation, resulting in a Range Data Form.  Once the Range Data Form is produced, then that information is entered into EventBrite as a maximum capacity for registrants.

Since all of our ranges are already entered into EventBrite, we (the AZ crew) cannot alter the Range Data Form, nor alter the EventBrite maximum headcounts.  Riflewoman or one of the other national folks has to do that.

Good luck telling Fred and the national crew that we want to reduce potential attendees at a site. ;)

The standing rule is... if someone shows up, we put them on the line.  If we get 25 walk-ons at Kingman... we put 'em on the line.  We may run the line in squads... but we put anyone who shows up on the line.

Not trying to step on toes here, but it sounds to me like this needs some adjustment to go along with the requirements change for instructors. Surely national staff don't believe that they can slow down the instructor core without slowing down attendance. I am pretty sure quality is the issue they are trying to attain. Like everyone else here, I am speaking up because I want to provide input and help make a quality organization. Maybe start with an attendace for a minimum crew, then open it up if additinal crew becomes available. Making unlimited walk ons allowed (to a range possiblle without instructor count consideration) seems a bit out there to me. Just think about the ramifications.

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on May 28, 2010, 01:57:12 AM
Same thing goes for AZOpie and NewGuy556:  Try and get down to SV, Tucson, or any northern event that Lysander6 may work... or off to another state and work with a completely different SB.

Working the Ramah, Co. shoot in Colorado next month during my vacation as well as SV in December. I could change it around a little more if you think I should.

AZO

AZRedhawk44

There's no SB for that one yet... I was gonna ask you who was the SB, but nevermind.  They're doing an RBC that preceding weekend (Which also lacks an MI/SI to coordinate it) but I imagine that the MI/SI will end up being SB for the actual Shoot on 26-27 for your CO event.

Good.  You'll definitely get exposed to another MI/SI, and you'll get to meet SavageShootr this weekend.

AZOpie

Yah - I was a bit concerned about that too, but I had some conversations with the folks up there and it appears to be in order. We are visiting relatives in Colorado Springs, so it's a natural. Looking forward to meeting our neighbors from California this weekend.

AZO

AZOpie

Roll on roller coaster....