News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bonfield, IL 4/10 AAR

Started by Garand69, April 19, 2010, 02:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garand69

OK folks, Alton shooters are talkin trash with all their Rifleman! You gonna take that or are you gonna tell your story!!!

Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Castle Mountain

My lips are sealed for the moment G69. Waiting for EEL to post. You will just have to suffer the wait
but I will say that the weekend was glorious and we got to witness a powerful paradigm shift
in thinking. Oh, you have got to love the effect of a 600 yard range. WHOOOWEE!! We got to see Gopher Boy
punch rounds out of his M1 Garand down the 600 YD range at his marvelous steel target he purchased.
AND!!!!!!!!!  We got to witness Pappy doing the~ RIFLEMAN'S DANCE~ on steel targets   ..:.. . What a performance of Rifleman skill.
WHEN YOU'RE HOT YOUR HOT!  Because our shooters also got to shoot steel targets, hear the effects and watch the effects through binoculars being passed down the line to witness what they them selves were achieving as they watched successive shooters. Our folks were great and were amazed they
were getting that good. Were they ever eager and in a hurry to get back to shooting AQT's with great zeal, knowing through experience
of what they could  and did accomplish. MANY THANKS to Gopher boy (you are such a technician  O0) and to  Pappy for such dedication
to APPLESEED for both laboring to manufacture  by hand and/or purchase (at large personal expense) such wonderful steel targets.
You men really set the bar.   Opps did I say that????    **)  Makes me remember the story about the 13 Riflemen that walked into a bar. ^:)^

Man when you see bullets melt their way into 3/4 or 1- inch plate steel and then compare to the dusting effect of amour plate
man size targets. WOW! Every one was impressed no doubt. O0

It was so nice to work again with Karl, Viper, Dana, Ewald, Gopher Boy, Pappy , Patriot Gal, EEL & Mrs . Pappy. What a crew!! Love you guys & gals.
I know the shooters loved y'all. O0 And, our own family now boasts 6- Riflemen to our tribe!! Congratulations to our niece and nephew Kyle & Erin Kathleen.These kids worship Appleseed for what it has brought to their young lives. Congratulations 'JOHN' and 'DAVID' what persistent warriors you are!
Congratulations to you also John for what you are doing for Appleseed.  You are a special person for dedicating land for a new Appleseed rifle range DAR.
AND!!! The new hat looks great on you good sir. Moreover, you persistence is more than commendable.  Congratulations JEROLD ( The Teutonic Spear Thrower) for stepping up. We now have another graphic designer here in Peoria to work with. Man you shoot a mean cannon M1A and central Illinois can sure use your help. We welcome you with open arms. Can't wait for you to meet the rest of our crew here in the Peoria area. Klipperfert & Missouri Brigade. Thanks to the gun show we did in East Peoria back in February we now embrace one who has chosen to labor and walk the Appleseed trail with us.  Jerold came wearing
a hoodie which had the words "All hope is lost" written across the back. I saw that, and put my hand on his shoulder and said this is new day and all hope is not
lost you are now at Appleseed. Ewald snuck up behind his a placed a piece of Duct tape covering over the word "lost" with his name "Jerold". So the shirt
now read...."All hope is Jerold". We all shared a gleeful laugh about that. Well now we have a new  crewman to have joined our ranks. Now doubt Jerold's heart
is filled with new hope.  The Chillicothe shoot can't get here soon enough. We are all so eager.

EEL & PAPPY were at their best this weekend. Simply the BEST !!!! You may not know but  I lost my brother a few years back to cancer and the loss lingers, but you, my Appleseed brothers, really fill that that empty void with your brotherhood toward me. You are very special people and  I have a special
affection for you. You really are like having my own pair of brothers. O0

The history was incredible, and the Revolutionary war fife and drum marching band that Gopher Boy arranged cast a very special ambiance
on the history narrative as we heard it advancing far off in the distance, coming closer and closer and closer.
Being confined between those giant earth berms made it sound like they were miles away. It was easy to imagine hearing the British Red coats
off in the distance approaching as EEL continued  presenting his narrative. When the fife and drum band stopped by Captain Parker's banner image
it was easy to appreciate the battle of Lexington.
The fife and band touch was marvelous and was a joyful surprise to all. I am certain it had an enormous effect on the shooters . It made the history
very riveting.  With the hard blowing wind it played tricks with the sound and it really cast a different mood on things  making it all so very real.
A special salute to you Gopher Boy for doing this. What a treat.

The 1775 honor volley was very sobering indeed.  It is such a shame that such an honor is not carried in the hearts, minds and memory of all Americans
for what great sacrifice the veterans of that war made. One and all were very touched by this special moment in time.

Common EEL. QUICKLY now. ~~:)     I know he is tired, he worked so hard this weekend. O0 Everyone did so much. O0 What a fine team.
I think the weekend was pure synergy, except for the 40 MPH freezing cold wind and our facial burns that looks like shoe leather. :cool2:

I am going to shut up now....  This was supposed to be just a tease for now. ;) :--- :--- :--- :--- :~ :~  Patriot Gal and I are on such a high from this weekend.
So many stories to tell. It was such a pleasure to work with this group of shooters. I am happy for all of them because I know they left with such joy
and I mean joy. I have not witnessed such a high level of appreciation and I know there was nothing in the coffee.  :)

Oh, by the way, lots of pics are coming. Are you listening VIPER ?  You will all get to see one of Gopher Boy actually bailing, really! ;)

CM
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Boba Fett

OK... Seeing that Bonfield had been bumped to the third page of AAR's and that neither of the people who have posted here were actually in attendance in Bonfield, I feel the need to say something regarding this weekends Appleseed in Bonfield.

I've experienced a lot of different "flavors" of Appleseed events over the last year between the people attending, the Instructors present, the State and location of the event, the weather, you name it. Even though we're teaching the same things every weekend, a lot of different factors make every Appleseed a very unique experience. This weekend was special. And I mean that in the most serious of ways. It was the 235th anniversary of the events of April 19th. It was the first weekend in almost a year of me being out on the Appleseed Trail that my family came along and got to see first hand what it was that takes me away from them so often. It was my first time presenting IMC (Inches, Minutes, and Click) instruction at an Appleseed. My oldest daughter (Megan) got to shoot an Appleseed for the first time. She's nine years old and not quite strong enough to hold up my heavy barreled LTR, so she used a sandbag rest and started the day by shooting 3-4 moa groups on the squares targets. She then proceeded to shoot a 226 on the AQT at the end of the day Saturday from the rest, with the mag changes, and under the time limits. She cleared stage 2 with 50 points, had 4 out of 5 shots touching on the first target of stage 3, and made the head shot twice on the redcoat target this weekend. To say I was a proud Daddy would be a gross understatement. But it all added to the specialness of the weekend for me. The Guy did all the history, which is always a cool thing and most people attending an Appleseed weekend don't get to hear it from him as he usually only does this at Rifleman Boot Camps. Even cooler is the fact that I got it all on tape for posterity's sake.

We even had a surprise visit Sunday at lunchtime by the same drum and fife corp that performed in Waterman on Saturday. They played for almost an hour and fielded a lot of questions from the audience. VERY COOL INDEED! I got that on tape too! There was some high power guys shooting on the other side of the berm to our left while they played that really added to the effect. I bet they don't often perform with actual rifle-fire happening in the background.

But the best part of the weekend, as it most often is, was the students. They all improved dramatically. We made one Rifleman (way to go Tom!) who received a copy of Paul Revere's Ride that I think every Instructor signed and or wrote something in. We had several people soooooo close. We had a 209 and I believe Nick K. shot back to back 207's. Others in the 190's low 200's. I saw some faces there I recognized from our first Bonfield shoot last year. Overall everyone had FUN! and as was mentioned at the Instructors dinner Saturday night, a lot more thanks you's from students than usual.

To all you wonderful people who came out and spent the weekend with us... Thanks so much for the great attitudes and great memories you all provided us Instructors with this weekend. The only way you'll ever know how much it means to us is to put on an orange hat and come join us and experience an Appleseed from this side of the fence. You make this such a rewarding experience and fuel the fires of our hearts to keep doing what we do. You give us hope that our USS America will not sink and that we can still make a difference and change things for the better. I was blessed in so many ways this weekend. Thanks to everyone for making this one of my best Appleseeds ever!   O0

Boba Fett

Gopher Boy

The leader of the Theatiki Fife and Drum Corp contacted me today to let me know they had a blast at both events.  He also asked that if you recorded the event they would like a copy.  Please PM me so we can make arrangements for this.

I really hope that everyone enjoyed it.  I worked my tail off getting them.

G.B.

Castle Mountain

Great AAR Boba Fett!!!!! O0 Thanks for sharing your daughters success. We would love to have been there
for that moment in time. You must be very proud 'Dad" and with every right to be so. She is a great personality
and I wish we could have seen her shoot. That had to be the icing on the cake for such a special day.
I had no idea Gopher boy set so much up. Wish you could have been with us You would have relished his new
target, no doubt.  I am sure The Guy's history was riveting as usual. But this day was so much more special
and he would have made it so.
Glad you got the fife and drum band. I bet your audience was as thrilled as ours. Sounds like you had
quality time with your shooters and I agree it is about the history. Nice to get the riflemen but changed
hearts and minds is so important and I know you live by that brother. We do appreciate you very much.
I am sure your White Sands experience has really raised your instructor teaching skill set no doubt.  O0

Say did ya get the guy a Birthday cake? Last time we were at Bonfield, I got surprised with one. This could
become a tradition you know.

Hope to CYA soon on the trail.

Warmest regards,

CM
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Boba Fett

Is anyone else from the Bonfield going to post something.  ???  Come on people!!!  I wasn't the only person there.  &)
I'll try and get a few pictures up tonight.

BF

Gumballhead

Well - DOM & I would have been there...

Sound like it was a good shoot - would like to read more too!

EEL

Boba......Youse guys really didn't have a shoot did you ?  #)  Come on!  Y'all went fishin' or something didn't you ?

Well, is anybody gonna back poor ole' Boba up on this ?  Was there a shoot in Bonfield April 17-18 ?

Crickets......nothin' but crickets  :'(

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

Garand69

Quote from: EEL on April 22, 2010, 06:17:47 PM
Boba......Youse guys really didn't have a shoot did you ?  #)  Come on!  Y'all went fishin' or something didn't you ?

Well, is anybody gonna back poor ole' Boba up on this ?  Was there a shoot in Bonfield April 17-18 ?

Crickets......nothin' but crickets  :'(

EEL

I was thinking the same thing EEL!!!

I'm thinking they may have cancelled to do a shoot in Tupelo, Mississippi, and they are trying to over it up with a ficticious IL shoot!!!!

What a bunch of slackers!!

Great way to tie in the Family Boba Fett, hope that continues for many years to come!

Gopher Boy, Thanks a ton for your efforts of making the 4/10 shoots special in IL!!! Sounds like that was a great addition, and hopefully we can put a plan together to make it happen more often!!!
Garand69

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

Garand69

So we had two rifleman and a bunch knocking on the door, excellent. Hope we see those door knockers back out on the line soon!
Garand69

-Chester W. Nimitz