News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

OSAGE BEACH, MO. Apr 71-18 AAR

Started by Longshot, April 22, 2010, 12:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshot

Osage Beach DAR, Apr 17-18

Gorgeous weather was on tap for the finest weekend of Appleseeding this year. Sunny, warm, and dry. The Osage DAR is in fine shape, lush and green.

23 shooters were on hand Saturday morning, proudly saying the Pledge as the flag was raised. The first Red Coat revealed that this group was ahead of the curve, and promised to do well. There  were several returnees, and more than one father-son team.

Saturday was rapid paced, lots of instruction and drill, but picked up rapidly by the line. Special Apr.19 events included raffle by drawing cartridges, volley-fire/reading of heroes names, and special history. Late in the day, a first Red AQT was shot, and then the shooters were treated to a special Osage event, the Couch Volley.

After an explanation of the insidious nature of laziness, apathy, and ignorance, the shooter's eyes were directed downrange, to find a large couch, topped by a 23" color TV set. "There is the modern enemy of Liberty", they were told. They were given 30 seconds to put as many well-aimed shots as possible on target. Conservative math suggests that a minimum of 500 rds. caused the sofa and "boob tube" to succumb. A great "fun shoot", to break the grind, and a lesson on the danger of too many distractions. The volley was caught on video, to be posted when possible.

Sunday morning brought more beautiful spring weather, and 15 returning shooters. Some refresher squares, a NPOA star drill, and on to more of those great Red AQT's. The shooters were doing quite well, with several knocking on the Rifleman door.

One young man, a 12 year old lad named Joshua, was shooting a single-shot bolt action .22. He was so fast that he was getting all 10 rds. off, and waiting for time to be called during the sitting and timed prone stages! That bolt was smokin'!

He was shooting well, but suffering from breaking NPOA every shot. I asked him if he would like to use my 10/22 LTR. He replied Yes, and promptly shot a 214! His 18(?) year old brother Nathanael also shot a Rifleman score of 219, making them our Rifleman family of the weekend.

Nemohunter (Cameron) stepped up and took an orange hat, something he had been waiting to do. Thor's Hammer, Jungle George, Thursday, Mema Jean, Dugin' and Armada did a fantastic job. I don't recall ever hearing so many positive comments about the Instructors.

Can't wait for May...

Longshot
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

AFTERMATH

QuoteOne young man, a 12 year old lad named Joshua, was shooting a single-shot bolt action .22. He was so fast that he was getting all 10 rds. off, and waiting for time to be called during the sitting and timed prone stages! That bolt was smokin'!
Did anyone catch a video of this?  That would be great to show those who cannot fathom getting all ten off in time with a semi-auto.

I'm sure Osage proved itself amazing as always.  No small part on behalf of the instructor cadre!

O0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

EEL

Longshot,
Gotta ask ya.....so the curse Beth put on your rifle has been lifted by this young man??  ;D   **)

Sounds like you had a fantastic shoot.  Glad to hear the DAR is in great shape.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

POP

We're proud of that young man ... and his brother.
"One young man, a 12 year old lad named Joshua, was shooting a single-shot bolt action .22. He was so fast that he was getting all 10 rds. off, and waiting for time to be called during the sitting and timed prone stages! That bolt was smokin'!"
Way to go KR and KREW.   O0
BTW, EEL's inquiry sounds interesting.  PM me about Beth's Curse on your LTR.  Inquiring minds want to know. 
POP
3 of 6
7 of 6
Davilla RBC 11-08, 2-09, 11-09, 11-10
Davilla IBC 4-10
Eureka KS RBC 7-10, 5-11
Osage Beach RBC 10-10
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
Waterman 300 9/11/10

I can explain it to you but, I cannot understand it for you.

I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the CHAINS. (Triskele)

Thor's Hammer

What a terrific group! All the students listened during instruction and asked very thought out questions after each one. This, by far, was the best "Total Participation" I have witnessed in a long time. There was tremendous improvement by all during the course of the weekend. There was some doubt in the students during parts, but with Susan and Mema Jean there to help, an instructor was able to get with the individual students during the course of the day and help them with any issues they may have had.

The KD range even got some use this weekend, good to see all my mowing efforts didn't go to waste :)

I have several stills and videos of the weekend, even the TV/Couch. One fried out TV= $0. One moth eaten, pet chewed couch= $0. One chunk of billboard banner= $0. The amount of fun had by all= Worth a Million dollars!

I am not the most computer savvy guy, so I need help to get pictures/vidoes posted. If any one can help, or do the deed, please PM me. If you know what to do, I know enough to be able to E-mail them as attachments.

It looks like the Apple tree has blossomed. Looking forward to the fruit the tree will bear in the coming years!

TH
Jason
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.    George Carlin

Boba Fett

Gotta love Osage Beach in the Spring time!  8)

BF

thursday

Great shoot I never guessed instructing would be this much fun.  Nothing like watching someone smile as their groups tighten up.  Special thanks to Long Shot, Zulema and Short Shot for their hospitality Tell and I felt right at home.  Thanks also to the older instructors for teaching me the ropes.  I will allow the shooter's more than 30 seconds prep in the future.javascript:void(0); (I thought it was plenty of time)javascript:void(0);
Can't wait to get back to Osage!
if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to to do another and harder and better one.-C.S.Lewis

It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation, and fifteen minutes to build a bad one.-My Dad

Jungle George

The weather at Osage was great!!  As usual we had a great bunch of shooter's there.  Joshua was most impressive like a well oiled machine shooting that single shot rifle.  I talked to many of the shooter's on Sunday evening and they said they would be back, it was good weekend for all.
   When I see young people like Joshua, Short Shot, and Tell they give me great hope in our country's future.

JG
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."  Patrick Henry ,1778

Longshot

Ouch! Thanks Thor...   :-[

I completely left out Dug In( Susan) and MemaJean (Jean), without whose help we would not have photo-documentation, and the line would have been much slower.

It is incumbent on the Shoot Boss to acknowledge and credit ALL those who contribute to a shoot, and I have failed somewhat miserably.

I apologize, ladies, and aim to see that it doesn't happen again. Thank you for your ongoing help and support.

KR
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

RDB

Thanks to all the instructors for making it such a good shoot. First class all the way.

Jungle George, I promise to keep my elbow tucked under the rifle. Special thanks to Longshot for accomodating my experiment with less than ideal equipment.

D Borland

Mogget

Couch volley noted for further use.  Many thanks to all,

Mogs

Dug'in

Thanks Longshot, and everyone eles.
That was the first time I spent much time helping with the line and I owe you guys much thanks for your patience.
Its always great to see you all and be apart of the fun. Hope the video turned out well and look forward to next time.

Dug'in

Famous Bolt Action Kid

Dug'in

Better Pics...

Jungle George

Hummm,  the Bolt Action Kid, he owns that title for sure.

JG
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."  Patrick Henry ,1778