News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Fresno May 8-9 - Mother's Day Appleseed

Started by Romeo's Hero, May 12, 2010, 11:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Romeo's Hero

Hey all Fresno shooters and Instructors:

I had so much fun this past weekend - My first thanks must go to the Fresno Rifle and Pistol Club - thank you so much for continuing to host Appleseed at your range and for creating such an amazing environment for our shooters. We love being at your club and are looking forward to the July event already (and we will be sure to be out on time on Sun  :wall:).

Also thank you to all the instructors that came out for this shoot both those who were scheduled and those who came to offer the additional help, it was wonderful having all of you there.

On Saturday we had 19 shooters and beautiful weather. The shooters progressed through the instruction well and were rewarded with a wonderful presentation of history by BaldDragn and Garand 56 during lunch. We continued the instruction through the afternoon and ended the day with one AQT and the Red Coat targets (most shooters saw an improvement . After finishing the Red Coats we shared the 3rd Strike with the shooters and some amazing quotes from our founding fathers.

On Sunday we had 7 shooters and they did great. We pushed them hard and they persisted all day it was great. During lunch the shooters got to hear about the dangerous old men and determined dames (Double D and Jules both did a very theatrical performance - great job). Then we went right back to the AQT grind - In the mid-afternoon we "Patrick" showed us that he was a man who knew much what he was about and score a 218 (?) on his AQT, he was awarded a Rifleman's Patch for his accomplishment. As the day was almost over (the last stage of the last AQT) the wind came from out of nowhere and broke the backers off the T-post, blew mats (being held down with rocks) with rifles on them over 6 feet, and coated everything and everyone with a layer of dirt. After brushing out the actions and running a bore snake through each barrel we completed the AQT and then posted red coats. The wind continued and out of the 4 people who shot the red coats only the person on the center-fire .223 got an effective range (and Kelly was very proud of his 200, or was it 300 yrd effective range).

At the end of the day we handed out the rifleman patch and 2 Luther Blanchard patches to Gaige (who's father brought him and observed as he learned to about marksmanship) and to Tyler (who shot alongside his father - Kelly - for both days) you both did an excellent job persisting through both days. Another shooter Jonathon was knocking on the rifleman's door with a 206 - we hope to see you at the next shoot you will definitely achieve that score. A kudos to Jacquie and Debbie who both shot in the seated and standing positions all day on sundays - we look forward to seeing you both again, dry-fire practice together and your groups will continue to improve.

Shooters and Instructors please share your experiences, memories, and pictures from the shoot.

One last note - to all who participated in a Mother's Day Appleseed - our range told us that the group that shoots where we shoot will have shoots on Easter but will not have shoots on Mother's day- They are more afraid of their mothers than they are of God. (Which is why it was available to us on Mother's Day) - I say "bring your mom teach her to shoot...for free".
Rifleman's Cadence: one well placed shot every 2 to 3 seconds..... unless your hyperventilating (modified from AmbulanceDriver)

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. - Theodore Roosevelt

BP

Sounds like I missed some real action!
I wonder how much that wind messed with the .22s on Sunday.  :---

Looking forward to the next Fresno shoot, I should be bringing some newbies! And hopefully get my 210 lefty, :D and break 240 right handed!  #)

Romeo's Hero

Quote from: BP on May 13, 2010, 12:45:38 AM
Sounds like I missed some real action!
I wonder how much that wind messed with the .22s on Sunday.  :---

Looking forward to the next Fresno shoot, I should be bringing some newbies! And hopefully get my 210 lefty, :D and break 240 right handed!  #)

We missed you all this shoot - hope things are going well. Don't remember if it is closer for you all but we are also doing a shoot in Mariposa June 19-20 - we would love to see you all at any of our shoots. And you should definitely have that Lefty 210 at the next shoot (you just have to stop switchng between left and right handed)   ..:..
Rifleman's Cadence: one well placed shot every 2 to 3 seconds..... unless your hyperventilating (modified from AmbulanceDriver)

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. - Theodore Roosevelt

BaldDragn

We got in Friday night and Switchbox came in moments later. By the time we had camp set up it was time to turn in.

Saturday was great. Both the instructors and the students were having a good time and I had a group of shooters that were an instructors dream. Patrick, Alex, Duran, and David were really paying attention to the instruction and progressing fast.

Duran was knocking on the door with some 200+ AQTs. I'm sure if he had been able to come back on Sunday he would have been taking a patch.

David was right behind Duran with some 190+ scores. I was sure these guys were going to make it.

Patrick was putting in some 6 MOA groups from the start so it was no suprise when I found out he had topped 210.

Alex was easily the most improved of my group of shooters. She said it was her second time behind a rifle but by Saturday afternoon no one would have known it. As soon as she masters follow through she'll be picking up a patch of her own.

Sunday morning I knew I wasn't at the top of my game. By lunch time I was out for the count and had to sit out most of the rest of the day.

The high point of Sunday was working with Jacquie and Debby. Evey though the positions were painfull they were both determined to have a good time and showed spirit to match any Rifleman.

Our IITs showed that they are determined to rise to any occasion and even under difficult circumstances.

All good stuff for Fresno!

"Anxiety and stress are the children of apathy and ignorance." - Jack Spirko

Saving the USS America - Good work if you can get it: Group Consensus, Sac 06/09 Instructors Meeting.

SAPPER STEEL!

Jules

I love nothing more than having the family I am related to by birth and marriage, heading down to see family in Appleseed. We celebrated Skyler's (aka Hambone) birthday and Mother's Day the best way I could think of, at an Appleseed.

I loved that we had a lot of women this time that were serious about learning how to shoot, and shoot well. One of the ladies even said she would like to instruct. Booyah! Jaquie, Debbie, Stacy, and Alex : you gals rock. And props out to Debbie, who came back sore in spots she didn't know she had, and plugging along on Sunday. It was after the eventful "Can you sit on your foot?" question posed to her by Double D, that she tipped over. Her only thoughts were " keep my muzzle in a safe direction!!!!" Jaquie, Debbie, Dex, and I laughed til tears rolled down our cheeks. It's times like these that I love being an instructor in Appleseed.

Skyler did well for a green Orange hat; he was patient, helpful, and encouraging to the shooters. He took direction well, and says he is turning a PC in. Woot.

Poor BaldDragn. He got my flu that I had last week. So Sunday was spent sleeping until he had to schlep all the camping gear, and drive to Stockton, and then on to home. That Rifleman persistence thing works in all areas. I know Skyler appreciated having him there to turn to with any questions.

Well, now about those winds. It made me think of what the guys at WSMR went through daily in those kind of conditions. I cannot imagine instructing in that for a week, or shooting in that for a week. It was an angry sand storm, and I was truly wondering about the sheet metal on the roof of the overhang, whether it was gonna hold or not. No flying cows were seen.

Thanks to Garand56, Romeo's Hero and Double D, Switchbox, Hambone, and BaldDragn. Another memorable Appleseed was had by all.

Jules
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

FurrowFoot

I could only be there Saturday to help instruct.  Family plans for Mother's Day on Sunday.  So, I missed out on the wind and sand storm Sunday

Romeo's Hero -
Thank you for starting the AAR with some good reporting and to the others who contributed.

Congratulations to Patrick on shooting his AQT.  Glad to hear that the other shooters from Saturday, who were able to came back Sunday, showed such solid second day improvement.  I have to echo Bald Dragn's Saturday report, I saw a group of teachable, determined and persistent shooters.

And congratulations to young Gaige and Tyler on earning their Luther Blanchard patches.

Thank you all and take care.